Economy Ups and Downs

I have easy over 200k in request baskets and restock them daily. Usually multiple times in the few hours im online.

The economy isnt dead… Its just different. I went from having about 15k a day in 1 oort basket 3 weeks ago. To 200k+ in 100 request baskets buying pretty much every base item.

There’s still plenty of coin to be made. Just need to adapt to what people are using. For example this week ancient tech market is strong from the LED launch.

TL:DR not sure if someone has already stated this… Everyone is worried about not making money. I’m doing just fine. While I may only bring in 20k-ish a week (including footfall), that 10k goes further. The problem isn’t that we need more coin, it’s that the veteran players aren’t accustomed to the deflated prices. Many of the prices that they want to charge simply aren’t what the community can afford because the value of the coin has gone up.

Prices should be going down. This is a sign of a normal -and healthy- economy. If prices in your county started dropping, I’m pretty sure not a single one of you would be complaining! Obviously, there are more factors IRL (business costs, employees, etc.).

Instead of complaining, work with what you have. I offer an attractive shop. People can step into my portal (which overlooks the whole shop instead of being on the same level) scan everything I have and leave. My alts all have a piece of that shop- footfall gains for each.

While I sell everything, I also try to keep request baskets full, and I post the date which I last checked them. I think people want to buy/sell to active players. I have begun focusing on things I actually enjoy doing. If you like to mine, then focus on and offer that. I have a specific profession I enjoy, and I keep my costs low so I can sell items for cheaper and still profit.

My point is the economy isn’t nearly as hard off as everyone thinks, it’s just different from what you remember. Coin holds higher value, so you need to offer product or items that are worth another loosing their coin on. Deflation -can- in fact work for you. You gotta be smart enough to adjust yourself to benefit.

Deflation is a bad thing. Ive owned a shop from the start and no mather how low you go in prices, there is a point were it goes below what you can ask for in request baskets.
At this point you wont be able to resell this product and the market for that item is gone.

2 Likes

Perhaps I’m too limited in my scope- it is entirely possible. I need to question a few things. Do you rely too heavily on purchasing from the player base? Are you attempting to sell things there is no longer a market for? Are you eating costs to compensate for other costs?

GO to the local bar for “Wing Night”. They are selling wings for an abnormally low price, and the place gets packed. They are making nothing, or very little, off the wings. That local bar is making money off the drinks, which are almost always inflated to begin with. Do you only off the drinks? Do you throw some wings in your crafting too?

I love digging peat. Love it. As a by-product of peat, I get yams, seeds, leaves, etc. It didn’t cost me anything to get those extra items. I compact the peat, use that compacted peat to make more compacted peat, and sell my excess to fund the purchase of the shovels.

The seeds and leaves and yams are making risotto. It’s literally costing me nothing to make the risotto. I already have the fuel paid for. The entire set of items were by-products of my peat mining. I need to supplement the leaves a bit- I can easily eat that cost.

Are you supplementing the crafting process with your own labor? I agree with you if you aren’t. You will never profit if you cannot procure any of the materials on your own.

The other issue is location. People will rarely leave the safety of their hub unless they are on a mission. 9/10 times, I do not venture out of Biitula PS for any items I need.

Unfortunately, many items are obsolete due to the market flooding. My point stands. All someone needs to do is adjust their understanding of the economy to be able to benefit.

2 Likes

Where are you bud, I’ll come buy some of those hammers!

hey @Krollbar this still on life support this post really annoying to see on top off forum everyday you not helping the economy that way

2 Likes

Dunno, it’s sort of an old thread. Motion to close?

1 Like

not close maybe change title a bit :grin: make it sound less like game is our was going bad maybe

On it lol. Trying to help the economy as much as I can in-game too.

2 Likes

awesome :smile:

1 Like

The forge in little Japan. Not a big place, but it’s got some beautiful scenery :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gyosha Mall, Little Japan, countless other new actually good shops/towns opening as well as so many old favorites still in business. Infiniplex, Moonie’s, apologies to all the others I’ve missed.

I’m intrigued by a couple ideas mentioned in this thread:

1. Make footfall higher but with a longer cooldown, and
  2. Give some small portion of footfall to the person visiting.

would #1 spread coin around better when in combi with #2? Would #2 help alleviate the sense that running around looking at shops is a waste of time? Could #2 be abused or nah?
Curious!

I like the idea of #2. It encourages ppl to visit others instead of continuing to make their best impersonation of Gollum.

People would abuse… seems more like giving coin to give coin… I would prefer a more fundamental economy model. Not something with tricks and little tweaks.

How if the first person visiting ea 24/H? or if a place havent had any visitors for a while like a couple of days or more could trigger some sort of coin reward for the person breaking the isolation of said build.

Could make it more rewarding to go out and explore and give a slight incentive for more players to do so. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the longer the isolation the bigger the price, maybe add a timer for it too.

I dunno, im just spitballing, i just want more stuff in this game. MOAR STUFF I CAN HAZ?!

They are looking at changing some things that might help footfall and are aware of some of the challenges.

Overall I just think things like this doesn’t fix the overall “amount of people we have playing” or other store challenges. I’d just want more fundamental design to help the economy.

I see a broader spectrum now in your words, I appreciate them, your willingness to share your view. I imagine shop owners who have relied heavily on busy shoppers (large income flow) will not see greatness in your words simply because of their (due) frustration. It IS frustrating when economies shift, real life & in game. It leaves you to stop in your tracks, rethink your game plan. Etc its work and not always play for many, I assume. For myself, 8m stranded twice (players dropping out of game, some for personal work type reasons, some due to mining burnout) to play alone so then I must rely on me, myself and I to do more than my characters are able. For instance and here’s my stopping ground, here I’m stuck. I have 2 lvl 20ish alts, 1 brand new, my main almost 40. One 20 is building up get as a miner, one will stay home with the kids, cook meals & brews and has my much needed, desired portal epic. My main however (I’m assuming I’ve spec’d her wrong technically speaking cannot get mine for the high end mats for coils, gems, diamonds. Or…I don’t know how to get her there. Any info you have that can help us out, HUGELY appreciated. I’ll play solo, but it’s getting tough!

This. You dont have to make a profit off everything individually. I buy/sell flint and tallow for 1c. Dont make anything off it at all, but i hope having a regular supply of stock at low prices means people come back and buy some of the other stuff that does have a better margin for me.

2 Likes

Another thing borrowed from real life is margins, I remember a lecture we had in chem.eng on beer prices (yes weird).

Local pub would sell the “average” beer at a markup of 20%, lets say 2c. So you buy the usual for 12. Now the “better” beer sells at 20% more on 15, for a total of 18c. Some people buy it but its not that great a seller. The “premium” one, which costs them 25 to stock, sells at the same absolute margin for 28, because nobody is going to pay 35c for it… profit value and profit margin get fuzzy at certain points.

I will however concede that there are items that become MORE desirable as the price goes up, rl some vehicles for example that have neither the capacity nor features of 10 smaller ones but sell nonetheless. People are weird.

1 Like