Economy waves

Anybody have some opinons or experiences with the different booms the market has gone through.

I mean we had the 1000c a gem wave which lead to a mining boon where people got enough for one forged gem hammer which earned enough for 3 new ones and some coils etc.
I joined the boom myself when grm prices were at 650c and request baskets were endlessly giving out coin.

This was what got me through the end game/high tier barriers.

But the gem boom have completly dried up.

It was folllwed by a minor forging boom since alot of people got their coils and saw the money in forging.

I joined that one at the exact time were supply forged tools dried up and then just exploded over a couple of days plummeting the proces on forged tools by 30-70%.

Now im feeling the start of a creature drop boom becouse now everyone is forging and in need of mats.

Im trying to have fun and maintain the eqonomy which suffers from major deflation. But its hard to stay ahead. Ive stockpiled a couple of thousands of spooky seeds which im thinking of holding on too for a couple of months so i have something of value.

Neve know how supply and demand will change.

What are your thoughts and experiences on some of these things?

1 Like

Keep your great work up the economy is slowly settling down. If shopholders would work as one team they could keep the most prices in line and their profits stable.
I hope it happens this way cos prices are still dropping.
The reality is i dont belive it will happen so prices will keep droping until the end of year. The lack of cooperation on the economy level is the only real problem so far. Not droprates, updates and else.

Just imagine for a second good tomir, all traders work as a team and control the prices, keep the economy at a level that is lucrative to sell to baskets and buy from shops. I really hope that this will happen, maybe on christmass :blush:

Market monopolies (or lots of traders working together to set prices) never ends well for consumers and is often illegal in many countries…

4 Likes

Seems like we are in a period of severe deflation. I think people just don’t have enough coin to pay for stuff.

To fight deflation, you have to print money… but right now it seems that footfall is either broken, and or those players that have large stockpiles of coin aren’t spending.

Good thing it isnt in Boundless! Can you imagine… borders? And the United Cities of Ultima… lol

1 Like

Or the Trader Mafia setting all the prices to buy at 2c and sell at 100c. What? That’s not fair? Good luck finding a shop that doesn’t do those prices as we control them all muhahhahahahahaa :rofl:

1 Like

Imagine the planets in Boundless with border guards?

Anything to declare? Why are you taking 1000 diamonds without an export licence? You are only allowed 5. Hand over the rest and pay a 10000c fine!

1 Like

I believe the correct word here is “cartel” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Deen, we’re both in the food and brew business. I think the we should slash basket prices by half and at least triple our selling prices :smiley: Anyone who doesn’t agree we can go break their stuff for not working with us like Arestor has told us to

1 Like

The nice thing in the game is that if a group of shopkeepers did try to form a cartel, there are no barriers to entry for another group to form to gather to compete with lower prices. I think players will find that the people trying to manipulate the prices would have a lot of inventory they would sit on for a long time.

The other option is that guilds form and just gather and craft what they need and take themselves and their members out of the market.

Lots of ways already in the game to combat any cartel that might form.

2 Likes

Good idea. Hehe

Cartels, mafia, illigal stuff? Uhm i am missunderstud here so lets make it simple, take the prices as they are atm (anything else is not really posdible) and keep them for now at where they are.(all shops as example) Let things get in order then work as a team tougether. Then it shud be easyer to see clear where and what is the problem.
When it comes to coin i somehow miss this great community thing inside the forums and ingame.

And why dont we look on the beginning of the game where some people decided for the other 90% what is how much. Oh yes i forgot the golden coin making in the beginning justifys it for the most. As long as the coin keeps comming its fine when its not working the game is bad at this and that.

All i say is work as a team as the community we are usualy when its not coin but no one wants to so we keep going the same road, finr for me. No matter what coin can be made the one or other way. I just hope it will not become an eve online economy, which i am a little afraid of tbh.

Tomir has a great spirit and keeps pushing and makes his profits. And i will keep buy his stuff.

I’ll be opening about 2-3 million in request baskets for copper, iron and a couple other blocks in the next few days. Its about time to start building!

1 Like

I captured and smuggled 5 cuttletrunks out of Lamblis the other day…

4 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with the economy. It’s still very early in its development. Take advantage of what you can and forecast the future. It is going to be constantly shifting as demands change with time.

There are a few constants though and I think some people have those nitches figured to be a safe investment.

1 Like

Long as the option for repair and growth is there it’ll be fine. It’s looking like guilds are gonna be the way to go for now though… when are they coming?

Soon :tm:

Translation: some time in the future.

2 Likes

It’s inevitable that prices for items sold in shops and through hand trading will drop over time.

So I’d disagree that they’re the go to way to making sure you can make coin (if that’s what you’re alluding to). A shop that runs with request baskets and hand trading with contracted suppliers is going to work just fine. I’ve seen very little actual advertising of people’s shops on Discord and the forums. Advertising helps drive shop sales and advertising is free in this game. Location means nothing since portals are a thing.

It’s pretty easy to look at someone’s shop prices and tell that they aren’t even calculating how much their crafted items should be. For example, if you’re buying Soft Coal for 8c in your request basket, then your Compact Soft Coal shouldn’t be sold for three times.

IMO, shop owners don’t really have much ground to complain about their sales dropping from the price point they set their stuff at. I had this kind of discussion with other people in a thread a while back about not charging for labor, spark, power, stuff you’ve gathered yourself, etc. when pricing crafted items. The whole point is to sell things and push items out the door of your shop to do the whole cycle again. If you’re pricing your stuff 200% above your actual real cost and people now aren’t demanding your stuff as much, it’s because the prices are too high, they’ve progressed far enough in the game to get the stuff themselves, or just don’t have the coin anymore to make the purchase.

The feels-good pricing strategy doesn’t work. Use math. It’s how every single successful business does it.

But I do want to see guild systems in the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were implemented before Titans and Airships. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t necessarily want them to change or fix anything. It’s not so much about price drop as it is that you can’t sell most things at all. Baskets buying 0 or nonexistent for that item.

This all started when footfall broke, so maybe fixing footfall isn’t a horrible idea :man_shrugging:

Well if footfall is fixed and then everyone who hasn’t got what they should get the coin, that should help spark some economic activity. That’s kind of what people do when they get money. lol

Who knows though. It could be a combination of things going on.

1 Like