Either I'm dumb or the UI interface is obtuse. What do these food buffs mean?

Not sure I understand what you mean by “zero point”

The overall bar doesn’t drop

Buffs like this still need to be worked into the game to inform you of what they do before and after you use it.

Hopefully it gets added soon.

1 Like

The energy bar has two ways of decreasing, 1: is the temporary decrease from using tools which will fill back up when you stop doing the action and 2: is a permanent decrease over time which needs food to refill.

The energizing food stops number 2

Unless I’m completely mistaken

Edit for clarity: It stops the hunger bar from decreasing but the stamina still gets used

But it did for me when I was chopping wood. It depleted to zero energy

Stamina drops. The bar itself doesn’t get smaller.

Wow. I was unaware that my max alloted energy hp will decrease over time. I simply assumed that energy drain would occur when taking an action but never would’ve thought my max energy hp will deplete too. This really is an obtuse UI especially when the effects cannot be easily quantified by the user. I can deal with bugs and lag but bad UI just makes me want to leave a bad review.

Stamina is just stamina, it’ll regen by standing still. The overall bar represents hunger and you can starve if it gets too low. Running depletes your hunger bar, BTW.

Hope this helps

The better foods prevent your hunger bar from depleting for a length of time, level 3 recipe food is 30 mins this buff is called “well fed”. Hunger is your current maximum energy pool.

When you have the “full up” buff, this means your hunger bar is full and you will start to regenerate life. You can have “full up” and “well fed” independently of each other if your energy is high enough from putting points into energy.

Starving is when your hunger bar is very low, at this point you take damage periodically until you eat to remove the debuff or die. You also have very little usable energy at this point and must rest more frequently.

Between starving and full up you have no buff or debuff just a limited maximum energy you can use before it’s depleted. When depleated you must wait for your energy to regenerate aka rest.

So I’m short;

• Eating food increases your maximum usable energy between resting. This is hunger.
  • Using tools depletes your energy, resting will recover it back to its current maximum determined by hunger.
  • Using tools and running also slowly depletes hunger, limiting your maximum usable energy between resting.
  • Low tier food relieves hunger, but does not give a well fed buff. Is only useful if your higher tier food did not relieve all your hunger to top off your hunger bar.
  • High tier food relieves hunger, and also prevents you from losing any hunger for 30 mins. Meaning you eat less often.
1 Like

I do agree that the UI is lacking in this department. It would be nice if they included an active buff section in the character profile with more detailed descriptions.

1 Like

Or any descriptions at all, really.

2 Likes

Energize food gives you a buff to increase your max energy, but your max can still decrease. It gives you the buff after it fills your energy bar, so unless you already had the energize buff before you ate the food, you won’t be full up or regenerating HP, or in any way benefitting from the buff.

Most foods that don’t indicate some special buff give the well fed buff, which keeps your energy maxes for 10, 20, or 30 minutes.

I’ll work on updating that thread maybe

2 Likes

Also to add. The Zeal attribute skills and the attribute bonus skills will both increase the length of time the food buffs last for along with increased energy.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply @Lynxdragon.

Is there a testing server that would allow me to test the effects of all the recipes? I’d like to create a new spreadsheet for all of this.

We really need food/brew stats in the UI
I’m trying to sell high tier food/brews but people have no idea what they do so they are afraid to spend any coins.
I have to set up signs explaining with the shop stands what they do.
Without that referenced thread we will have no idea what they do too.

e.g
what
‘Learn Faster’ - How much %?
‘Temporaly’ - How long?
edit:spellin

3 Likes

I’m working on updating @Jiivita’s old thread (and my post there) currently, and will post it here once it’s done

@shap3d Exactly! I thought I was the only one in this position!

@willcrutchley thanks. But still wondering if there is a test server as I like the discovery process.

There isn’t a test server where you can spawn items in, the test server is just like the normal server except it has fewer planets. In EA it was used to bug test upcoming releases.
EDIT: Updated Index of Food and Brew Buffs
Hopefully this is up to date now.

Never got a reply back from the devs.