Enemies attacking after their HP went to 0

Ugh…as the title says. This has costed me more lifes than i can count anymore.

Why do enemies not instantly fall to the ground - lifeless as they should be - when their HP reaches zero, instead of happily flying straight over your head, firing a salve of bombs and then landing where you cant see them at first? (This for the example of C*nt-letrunks…)

Is that a bug or a “feature”?

9 Likes

Definitely an irritation of mine as well. Not game breaking but definitely doesn’t feel great.

I actually don’t stop dodging enemies until they are pile of resources that dropped from their dead bodies. Not a second before :joy:

7 Likes

Oh Jesus yes. The obvious reason is latency and it’ll be blamed on your connection but I just want to say I’ll disagree with that assertion outright.

I play and have played plenty of games without similar issues. My kids are kinda sorta gamers, overwatch every now and then for example. They don’t have problems with their games either. Both of my oldest were interested in this game but saw what was happening during combat and they talked me out of buying it for them. Even kids realize there’s an issue here, enough so they don’t want to even touch the game.

My work around is to always expect it and even though you’ve clearly killed them, anticipate a beam/spit/charge/blast and stay mobile until the body drops and warps back to the location you killed it.

There’s definitely an issue and it’s not our connections.

1 Like

Yo, you gotta keep hitting them until they explode, if you shoot them right after they fall to zero its like a finishing blow that intereupts their final attack

Thanks for all your replies!

I knew there wasn’t an issure with the latency, because then I’d have problems with destroying/placing blocks aswell.

IMO this needs to be changed, it can be critical when facing enemies stronger than you are. Well, it can always be critical when not focused 105% . . .

I know that wildstock are supposed to damage you even if they die when they are chargin’ you. I think.

So that’s not a bug.

I thought that problem only happened to me since I play with a constant of 150-200ms.
But now I think it’s some netcode issue.
it seems that the server checks the hitreg after the mob attacked/moved and then ‘kills’ it.
it doesn’t interrupt the mob current action.

I think they calculate the attack and don’t end it even when you kill the mob. It should be fixed. I would call that either a bug or just bad programming.

2 Likes

Haha yea, more like bad programming. I Mean, if it was a bug it would be on the agenda to be fixed soon :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea that’s he problem though. This game is riddled with bugs. Which one do they tackle first? They can’t seem to reproduce half the ones we report. Then try to blame everyone else. I’m gonna give it another few weeks and hope things get better. If not I might check it back out in a year but let’s be honest, in a year the gaming landscape will have changed again and it probably won’t be a second thought to check in on.

It’s just not feasible, and yes latency is the reason.

Your latency is say 500ms. You see a cuttletrunk stood still and ‘kill it’. Your latency is 500ms, so you are seeing the state of the world 500ms in the past. But the player next to you has 50ms latency and sees that the cuttletrunk has already shot a projectile and started moving away quickly. Your latency is 500ms which means your kill shot cannot register (unless someone invents faster-than-light communication) for another 500ms on the server. In that time it keeps doing its thing, and that player next to you sees the cuttletrunk has even shot ‘more’ projectiles from it’s new position lets say, and the first projectile (a bomb) has even exploded and took blocks out of the world etc. We cannot go back in time and kill the cuttletrunk 1s in the past (when it was still stood still the way you saw it on your screen).

Projectiles (both your own and from creatures) have a whole slew of complexity to fully deal with large latencies and all the different world view points in a way that still keeps everything server authenticated with no way to hack, but trying to do this for creature deaths to be ‘instant’ is just not feasible for the game.

The next patch should contain a change where creature health bars will not instantly drop to 0 so we can show the creature is ‘dying’ rather than seeing it as already ‘dead’ which hopefully will solve this in a different way.

I’m not aware of a single game that does this differently, but most games dont deal with both physics based real time projectiles ‘and’ very high latencies at the same time, eg counterstrike or call of duty of team fortress, you rarely play above 30ms latency in my experience and all these problems just do not exist as a result.

5 Likes

You pretty much said it yourself. Your game does a lot that maybe other games just don’t do. Maybe it’s trying to do to much? If I can play other games and not have this issue, then it’s not my connection thats the issue.

Edit: to be clear my in game latency seems to stay under 150ms and then when eh servers are crowded and get funky it spikes up and down all around.

Maybe this is a PS4 problem.

I’ve experienced this as well quite a bit and I very rarely have latency issues. I don’t have scientific evidence to support this, but I believe my latency is normally under 100.

What seems like the problem to me however, is that an enemy has “decided” it’s going to attack you and will continue to do so even if it dies right after this “decision” has taken place. This is likely just the “attack” animation taking place if I had to guess (although of course, I don’t know how this is implemented in the actual game).

In other words it seems like:

1. Enemy attack animation starts
  2. Enemy dies from player damage
  3. Enemy continues with attack animation
  4. Attack animation finishes (resulting in damage to player)
  5. Enemy falls dead.

I don’t have scientific or video evidence of this being the case, but it does explain my own experiences anecdotally.

@lucadeltodecso does this seem plausible?

2 Likes

That is exactly what was happening from reset of the world.
At that point I think it is either intentional or at least something so entrenched in game engine that it is impossible to remove in short amount of time.

Basically shoot until they drop. Only then you know you are safe. I think most of us kind of got used to it.

1 Like

The way you worded is exactly what I encounter and see and you summed it up wonderfully.

2 Likes

This would not surprise me. I can imagine something like that being hard to work around if it’s built in a certain way.

This is definitely the case for me as well. It was quite annoying at first, but I’m so used to it by now that I don’t even think twice about it anymore.

ha! glad it’s not just me!

To be honest, I’m not sure why folks are making a big deal about this. To me, it simply feels like a “last gasp” attack. It’s predictable behavior, you know it happens, so adjust your strategy to accommodate.

3 Likes

Because it’s an issue of programming and that’s fine if it’s not fixable which it seems to be he problem giving the reason we just got and the fact players who have been playing have ‘just gotten used to it.’ Just because you’ve given it a feature feel by saying ‘I look at it as a last gasping attack’ does not mean it’s not an issue that needs to be addressed.

It’s keeping people away from the game but if the developers are fine with that then that’s their prerogative. All we can do is point out problems and let them deal with them as they see fit.

1 Like