ETHICS Question

I’m new but I want to fit into the culture as a good neighbor and friend so I’ll ask my question and read your response.

3 out of 3 homes have caves below them. Two of the homes have neighbors. What is the ethics or morality of claiming as many of the lots below me as possible? I know that I should not claim everything so natural respawn will occur but I keep seeing that orange square with white cross and just keep claiming spots.

Should I keep my neighbors in mind? One more piece of information, at one of my homes I put up property corner borders so I could see what my area contained. Someone, completely covered those markers from the squares next to it so that they were only visible from my side of the property. It affected me in a negative way so I started claiming more and more so they couldn’t do that.

Anyway, let me know what you think please.

maybe grab a coffee and try to talk with ur neighbours bout land claims`? u know that in front of other connected pcs there sitting humans capable of thought, communication and empathy…

when you plan a build you should claim the area you want to build and any area you want to keep as a nice view. Expect every plot around you to be claimed and a giant gleam tower to be built there. If you claim everything you care about then you won’t be disappointed. Ethics/Etiquette/Morals are not enforced in this game, so getting emotional when someone doesn’t adhere to your opinion only hurts you.

It’s best to just look at the rules of the game and play within them. Claim what you want and build what you want.

7 Likes

This is almost always true, but there are certainly exceptions. Best protect yourself ahead of time by claiming.

1 Like

The only case that could enter the “Ethic” category is to avoid building 3 plots wide roads / bridges if they may connect to strangers beacon.This is a way to cheat the merging system made to ignore roads. This is a game flaw and many people contest this system.

If two main bases are build next to each others. There is no such things as Ethics. Diplomacy is always welcomed, but in the end Prestige + plots dedication win.

the merging system shouldnt prevent settlements that are wanted as settlements. From where comes the notion that it should prevent those merges? U just cant make a 3 block wide road that indefenitly long lol

It come from 4 years of early access and some abuse.

The intent with the current (unfunctional) system is to push players to plot all empty space (and not roads) to connect friend’s together. Or to connect growing neighbors together. Devs assumed that players who stay next to each other this long… are friends.

But humans are dumbs and very adaptative creatures, capable of settling for years next to something/someone they hate (and still complain about it).

1 Like

Btw, your plot ‘reserves’ below and above it. So if you’re not actually building below your plot there’s no point putting more down directly below. Regeneration still happens in reserved areas.

2 Likes

still, its not a flaw in the game, but intended that connections to other settlements are deliberatly made by players. It is also good and intentional that road and bridge builders dont have to fear unvoluntarly merge through the road they are building. what is wrong with that. If it comes to my mind to settle right near u and merge with u to a settlement (all legal and not forbidden in any way) : why is it the games fault that u dont like me and dont like that u are in a settlement with me?

1 Like

It still allow passive-agressive merge war.
Worse than that, victims can’t do anything about it. Can’t go against it.

It’s not covered by the CoC either.
Right now, people simply destroy their build and go elswhere or quit the game.

1 Like

wth is merge war? either u are merged or not. When u lost ur mayor position u have always the means to get it back

1 Like

Tell my how you get 2 millions prestige as a casual.
Im pretty interested to hear about your amazing method.

1 Like

maybe u shouldnt be mayor of a large settlement if u dont wanna invest time into ur builds…

1 Like

Yup! and this is called merge war, or prestige war . Thanks for your participation
Im done here

1 Like

u dont like the competitive part thats fine… but u dont have to participate in this competition u know that?

1 Like

I would just not worry about it, don’t get too attached to a spot unless you’re ready to drop 100 plots and build a town. 9/10 of the time people aren’t doing things to be mean in this game.

2 Likes

100,000 times this. It doesn’t get any more simple or factual.

1 Like

From the notion that a group of us spent time and effort to build a city and are proud of the name and what we did. Why should we be ok with someone forcing a merge, and changing the name? Why should we have waste our time to build prestige vaults in order to keep the name we want? In the real work (at least where I live), if a city wants to incorporate your area, you get to vote on it.

The game encourages the forced merges and then people quit in frustration or tear down their builds. Is this what the developers want?

1 Like

Roads are part of basses. Basses in themselves. What functionality comes from a grouping of blocks is up to the user. 3 squares is 3 squares. Anyone happens to be in my way while building roads, and I CAN’T skirt around them (this has only happened a few times to me) well, they become part of the town.

I notice a few of the same folks trying to push their ideas of what you SHOULD do and what you SHOULD build in your plots. That’s not how it works. You pay your cubits/money, you get to do what you will with your plots (with a few exceptions). Wether build road or build little shacks in each 3 plots area, it’s irrelevant.

If I had to claim 5 squares, or even 10 squares, to make my roads, I would. It doesn’t matter. It wouldn’t stop me. Roads are getting built. My “base” is getting built. I expect that others will do the same to me, and that’s ok, that’s the game. Like stealing a ball from someone in a basketball game. It’s allowed, it’s going to happen. If you think it’s mean, unethical, or inconsiderate, then you’re playing the wrong game and expecting things that the game doesn’t enforce.

It’s up to the player how “considerate” they want to be, but don’t expect others to adhere to YOUR ideas of what’s acceptable. I happen to be considerate enough that if I CAN skirt around a plot, I will. You build in front of a highway thinking it’s a culdesac, well, what do you expect?

I know this all seems a bit cold and harsh, but the trend in gaming these days is for everyone to cry victim and expect treatment that the rules don’t enforce.

As someone else already said, expect the worst, and claim your plots!

When 2 towns merge, both give up some independence to be part of a whole. It is not “your” settlement it is the settlement of everyone who was building and contributing the whole. Just admit that u want a wall to keep out the other settlers, and u want that they pay for it