Examples of Game Roadmaps beyond Official Release

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any examples of games/developers that have a public roadmap after the official release of their game? I know of quite a few that have them during early access, but just wanted to know if there were any beyond that.

Edit: Moved this out of the official announcement thread so as not to pollute it with non-related replies.

4 Likes

not that I care about roadmaps, but to answer your question, Deep rock galactic and Green hell, for example, have public roadmaps, both games already released v.1.0, and are similar to Boundless in a way that v.1.0 is more of a formality and a way to get rid of the early access warning sticker asap as development continues normally

2 Likes

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries

1 Like

I know Elite Dangerous tried that out with their Horizons and Beyond expansions, since the expansion content came out slowly across a year+ for each expansion. They even announced approximate release times at the start, but I think they missed every release goal. We’re yet to see if the next expansion will come with more scheduling like this.

Guild Wars 2 has been doing roadmap-like things, but only for their story releases. That’s more like a release cadence announcement. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-icebrood-saga-champions/
Destiny 2 has a similar thing with their seasons schedule, but again, this is less a feature roadmap and more a story & content release cadence.

Dauntless kept up their roadmap thing after release: https://playdauntless.com/roadmap/ It’s pretty vague, though, so it’s not far off from the “features” page on the Boundless website. It’s just a cloud of plans with vague timing information.

Warframe doesn’t have an explicit roadmap, but they do discuss coming features very regularly in their daily community streams, weekly chat streams, and occasional dev streams. That community has a decent view of what is coming, with vague timing information and open communication about delays. You could probably form a vague roadmap if you were watching all of their streams.

2 Likes

I have understood that games like Fallout 76 and Apex Legends have for example had road maps. Some like those but some don’t.

I don’t really care because it is better play when having time than use it to waiting something to happen one day :smiley:

Thanks for the replies.

From the few that I have seen here - Some of them are dev logs (post development of a feature) and the others (with maybe the exception of Dauntless) are pretty vague in what they are actually mapping out - and even more vague on timescales.

2 Likes

Personally, I like the ways Dauntless and Warframe handle it.

I think just vague knowledge on these three, plus eventual release announcements of course, are great to have… “This is what we want to do”, “This is what we have cooking right now”, “This is what is actually coming soon”

1 Like

I think the take away is open communication from the dev teams of every game that’s been listed. Which we still get, just in very sporadic chunks.

These are roadmaps for green hell after release.

I will say most of the games I play that receive updates after official release don’t have roadmaps (which is why I don’t feel boundless needs one). They will usually say something along the lines of “want a taste of what’s next” or “next update has all of us excited to announce it will include”.

4 Likes

This is deep rock galactic. Most of the stuff in the updates was part of the roadmap. But gets updated to the update release number when reached.

Same for me. You just one day see a tweet from the dev like “hey who wants some new free stuff” and a random screenshot with things never seen before and that’s it lol.

1 Like

As kind of echoed by some others. I do not think a traditional roadmap is what Boundless need. Fallout 76 tries to do that and it is always wrong and out of date. It can be annoying.

I think we need just more healthy interaction/updates from the team providing updates and kind of telling us what is going on. Here are some really great examples of other devs that do a great job at this

Rare / Sea of Thieves does a weekly developer update video:

Bungie / Destiny posts a blog post every week

Satisfactory does the dev live streams, but also a ton of ridiculous and over the top developer update videos

Astroneer actually keep a public Trello board of what they are working on and kind of a less formal “roadmap”. They also interact more on their Discord server as well.

4 Likes

Perfectly said.:ok_hand:

1 Like

Out of all of the examples in this thread, Warframe is the one that really hits home with me. And think about this one: Warframe is a completely free to play game, unlike Boundless which you must purchase the game to experience it. That said, Warframe’s team has transparency beyond transparency, and I really like what they do and how they do it.

They have their daily community streams with their community team.
Bi-monthly dev streams where they showcase and discuss things to come to the game.
In-depth dev diaries posted up on their official forum on things to come, things that have changed, and so on.
Their update notes are comprehensive.
They have far more interaction with their community even on Social Media like Twitter and FailBook.

Whereas with the Boundless team it feels like scraping nails on a chalkboard when trying to get certain information from them. For example, we still haven’t had the patch notes for Release 247 posted up. That thread is now locked, and only refers to Testing 245 & 246 for info, which is not fully up-to-date compared to what actually released in Release 247.

Another problem the Boundless team has that I feel is a problem:

Backer perks. Specifically Oortian level towards the bottom there, “Monthly Team Skype”. It feels the developers are withholding information from their community at large to have for these monthly team Skype calls the Oortian level backers have access to. I fail to see anything on this list saying information from the team is exclusive to backers. Maybe they should get early peeks at the information, but they should NOT withhold the information from their community at large until things are “ready” and they decide to just drop it on us like a surprise (Not really needed) birthday gift. Communicate with the community at large. Please, don’t be withholding information Wonderstruck! As majorvex above stated, there’s a major, major discrepancy when it comes to the content and information available on the main website (https://playboundless.com) versus what is actually in the game. As I stated in another thread, The Boundless team needs to get a few people to work on proper PR for the game. Updating information, centralizing information to one source, and so on. Being more transparent with the community, while yes I can see how people tend to grab their pitchforks if something doesn’t go as promised, … Its an inevitable part of the gaming industry, … and all industries in general. There’s always, always going to be someone upset about something. It is not possible to please everyone, but I feel this team is trying to please everyone and everything.

1 Like

RuneScape is really good at updating their player base. It is also a free game.
I see a lot of their updates/news from twitter, though it is also on their website, and other media.
I don’t expect to be presented with information as often as RuneScape does (they do it weekly), but it is good to know what is coming next.
More to look forward to, plan weekends, and your builds for.

IMO RuneScape is the best at notifying players of what is upcoming.

Recent things that are in progress/roadmappy:

2 Likes

I understand and the desire for a roadmap in boundless. This thread just feels like advertising for other games.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from, however:

We’re simply answering the question that was asked in the OP of this thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the examples so far all. Please keep the thread to examples of roadmaps for games that have been released only, and not spiral beyond that.

2 Likes

So what were the 4 in game items that were created by those Oortian level backers :smiley:

The StarWarsGalaxies Emulator guys have a roadmap for getting the emulator to 1.0

Also i think part of the issue is as @SephirothWS mentioned with is if you go to the main website new potential players will see this:

I can’t hunt titans, I can’t collect creatures, i cant charge people for entering a beacon and i cant wear clothing.

the website itself is sort of a road map at this point because its not really a feature list.

3 Likes