Exo worlds: clarifications needed?

Maybe im blind, but i cant see you talking anywhere about speaking with devs.

???

I would just LOVE to hear more about this call you made with the devs. Because so far all this has culminated into is your statements about how you would prefer exos to remain random and discovered as opposed to people getting notified by bots, with no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Guess you missed this

I guess I did, but i wouldnā€™t mind getting clarification about what exactly he means.

Maybe you are not aware but as an Oortian (one that actually paid solely for the account) I am given the opportunity to talk regularly with the Developers directly on a Skype call. During that time I can get information about the game. Usually the conversations are technical in nature and focused on how we can grow the game. Sometimes we discuss different player views on changes and what might or might not happen, etc. Sometimes the information is confidential in natureā€¦ sometimes I can share it.

Usually I am very careful not to speak for the developers but in this case it was on my mind so I shared. I certainly wasnā€™t trying to cause additional conversation around it.

1 Like

As a backer of the highest level, @Xaldafax has privileges that most cannot enjoy. This is a person who has my respect.

5 Likes

That clears things up then. I was not initially aware that the Oortian role allowed that.

If only I could get one of those still. Wish I would have known about this game before the ps4 release

3 Likes

i spawned one i figured out how to sit in the chair and one popped up if you need me to sit on it again in secret room i accept payment in oort and coin
:smile:

Sorry about that thenā€¦ I forget sometimes that some of the perks arenā€™t known. So yeah in the future, when you see me make a statement like that especially technical in nature then you can usually determine that it came from inside information. If I am not 100% sure of something usually I will clarify it as such or add words to make it known that I am stating a view or giving my ideas over actual specific knowledge.

4 Likes

i prefer not scheduled once they arrive is super easy to know pretty fast
then ya have 3days
maybe @Hashmalash can add a massive sign in his world hub for when they arrived cause im sure hes on it under 5minutes :grin:

I think I would be helpful if there was some indication that a new exoplanet had spawned in game. One of the exoplanets that spawned took me about 10 minute of waiting for it to come in to view and I knew where to look. If an exoplanet spawns around Flan and is visible from Cardass and Kol Huroo we may totally miss it. It would be lots of fun if a notification popped up and everyone stops to search the 50 worlds to find the new exoplanet. And players not on the forums or discord may totally miss out due to lack of in game notification.

1 Like

lots off gems there but no gleam :thinking:

Turbulenz EULA available on your hard drive, excerpted:

1. END USER OBLIGATIONS

2.1 You may use Boundless for your own personal non-commercial use as described in this EULA.
2.2 However, you are not entitled to, and must not, do any of the following except to the extent expressly permitted by this EULA:
2.2.1 sell, distribute or otherwise transfer copies or reproductions of Boundless to other parties in any way;
2.2.2 in whole or in part: copy, reproduce, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, adapt, merge, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on or of Boundless;

Bolding is mine.

Steam Subscriber Agreement, excerpted:

G. Restrictions on Use of Content and Services

You may not use the Content and Services for any purpose other than the permitted access to Steam and your Subscriptions, and to make personal, non-commercial use of your Subscriptions, except as otherwise permitted by this Agreement or applicable Subscription Terms. Except as otherwise permitted under this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use), or under applicable law notwithstanding these restrictions, you may not, in whole or in part, copy, photocopy, reproduce, publish, distribute, translate, reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, create derivative works based on, or remove any proprietary notices or labels from the Content and Services or any software accessed via Steam without the prior consent, in writing, of Valve.

You are entitled to use the Content and Services for your own personal use, but you are not entitled to: (i) sell, grant a security interest in or transfer reproductions of the Content and Services to other parties in any way, nor to rent, lease or license the Content and Services to others without the prior written consent of Valve, except to the extent expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use); (ii) host or provide matchmaking services for the Content and Services or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Content and Services, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Content and Services, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, websites or services, without the prior written consent of Valve; or (iii) exploit the Content and Services or any of its parts for any commercial purpose, except as expressly permitted elsewhere in this Agreement (including any Subscription Terms or Rules of Use).

Bolding is mine again. Someone suggested I do this research in the past. It didnā€™t support their point.

5 Likes

Do it. Make sure it has umbris. Gogogo.

I donā€™t think any of this applies to what the bot that was made to do, as it is interacting with a network interface and doses not tamper with the clients code in anyway. furthermore I think this clause is more for intellectual property protection and not against what was being done here. I could be wrong.

Everything under this doesnā€™t matter as far as I am aware as boundless is not VAC protected and is I think is aimed to refer to the steam client.

Devilā€™s Advocate here: Wouldnā€™t technically most any third party tool based on Boundless be subject to these terms? If so, then it will ultimately be the developersā€™ judgement if it is detrimental to their aggregate intellectual vision.

Hmm that translate word makes me thing otherwise. You are translating code into useable data for the bot to tell us when the planets show up. But Iā€™m not data programmer. So :man_shrugging:t4:

The thing is, from my very very very basic understanding of the legal system, the term ā€žDerivative Worksā€œ is very closely linked to copyright law. Hacking a system, or other unauthorized access to the system via the API or other means, which is what the 3rd party tool here in question is doing, i do not think is any kind of copyright violation but some other violation, which is why i donā€™t think this clause applys here, but i could be wrong.

I donā€™t know how to respond to this, as I really have no idea what the ā€žTranslateā€œ term refers to in this case.

I hear you and a raise you a ponder. Are you taking a derivative interpretation, as these are generalized terms (which would more loosely indemnify the intellectual property)?

I do believe the programmers (or ā€œhackersā€ as they were called) have said several times, that they would gladly stop at any time if any dev expressed concern or asked them to stop. Iā€™ve also seen convos between them elsewhere discussing ā€¦ermā€¦things. When you make a PC game, you are going to attract a very intelligent/curious crowd that likes to dig, mod, extract, etc. Most will respect the devā€™s wishes, and stay in the gray/white hat lane.

People reallllllly want the Exos right now, because thatā€™s the newest, largest content update thatā€™s been added in awhile. Exos are frickn awesome.

Edit: I donā€™t think accessing/viewing data breaks any ToS as long as no one is editing files/data or re-packing/re-producing/selling altered data. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes