(Experimental) New Shop, Kraken Exchange, in Laconia on Sorissi, Through PS portal

Trying out an idea for a shop that is meant to be a gatherer and crafter exchange rather than a coin making behemoth. Doing my best to keep the buy and sell prices of any item i stock close together.
example, if i buy something for 10c i will then sell it for 12c like fibrous leaves and inky leaves at the moment.
I have come to find that seeing the disparity between buying prices and selling prices fills me with a strange kind of rage. people sell things for as much as four times what they pay for that same thing. so the introduction of this exchange is my attempt to see if a smaller window of profit is viable within this market system.
the margin grows obviously once taxes begin being factored in (14 coins for buy or sell with the epic skill) so some items are still a handful of coins apart. but i feel that we can buy something for 50, and then sell it reasonably at 60 and that turns plenty of profit for shop owners.

In all honesty the players will determine if this shop model can work, everything i sell now was self harvested and it would be impossible to run the shop solely on my own personal harvest abilities. so if people like the idea and sell to me and buy from me at these margins then i will expand to cover as many items as i can get my hands on. if people like the current setup of mega marts that charge double what you make on the item (those are the good ones to boot) then the shop shall die off.

As a Note, im always up for increasing buying prices, if anyone has suggestions or comments please let me know. either through these forums (im always lurkin) or let me know in game on my character Drazzi. always fun to chat with the community!

Edit: For directions

If you go to the Gyosha Ophin Gateway on the PS hub then through the Kada 1 portal, then Sorissi. As soon as you exit the sorissi portal turn left and my shop is right there.

3 Likes

i bid you goodluck! :slight_smile:

I think it is a good idea, I was furious at one shop that wanted to give only 10c for glue but was selling it for 100c. That is too much of a markup. Granted you have to make the glue, but sap is easy to get, cut down some trees and sell the trunk or even timber and you get a nice bit of sap. You have the “cost” of lumber in the forge or even coal but it isn’t that much.
Since I have a iron fist I can now on level 1 planets kill the goats and some spitters with one blow and get a nice amount of meat. So might sell some of it at a decent price.

I am hoping that as competition increases, the business model of these trading posts becomes that the owner makes no profit at all from buying and selling; the price diff is just to cover the taxes and the profit comes purely from footfall. Only then will the request basket prices be non-exploitative.

Edit: I think your idea is savvy in the current market but as you see we are in a race to the bottom. In a few months time when all trade posts are more reasonable like yours, there will still be room to beat you on price by taking only footfall profits

Recoil runs a similar idea.

Maybe you guys can discuss strategy together :smiley:

I also am doing an experiment with a “trade” like theme. Many of the buy/sell prices will end up being very close. Right now, I am just waiting on stock to fill up for a few items before I add more.

Your input would be valuable on shaping the prices. Especially if you have request baskets out. I am looking to balance everything so that there is a steady stream of buying/selling happening. Basically: Not enough ppl buying? Buy price goes down. Not enough ppl selling? Sell price goes up. Rinse repeat until we find a happy medium for all ingredients.

You can read about it here:

I’m glad to see another shop owner taking this approach. I’ll tell you I’m having problems moving gems hide normal yams petals and leaves. Buying them is easy haha. I’m still adjust my prices as the days go on trying to stay competitive. Expect to actually loose money for a while on your buy/sells until you work out good prices. For instance gems I’ve been buying at 500 selling at 600 and I’m going to be lowering my price which will mean the 500 or so gems I’ve purchased I’ll loose money on. But it’s all part of the process good luck

I can see why you hope that shops end up becoming a no profit place and honestly I think that would work best in a huge community where everyone we’re buying selling into one market but realistically the shop owner needs to take some profits. I use those profits to cover losses on items that have fluctuated in prices as well as to purchase more good for my shop and especially right now to refill request baskets. I make some coin from footfall but it’s not nearly enough to solve any of the above problems I face. Plus there is the factor of time. How much is the time ive put into setting up my shop buying oort shards to keep portals open running around to check prices of other shops etc etc.

I hope you can see why a shop owner taking a small profit is a good thing and I agree with most people that view these posts that the profit margin is crazy high for many shops right now.

2 Likes

Don’t hesitate to support this feature request if you’re a shop owner

well thats cool, even when i find that its ok if the shop owner also get a bit from the trades not just footfall.
but just not that extrem differences

I tried to find it and couldn’t. I get lost easy trying to go places.
Anyhow, prices for good, especially the “special” are downright highway robbery. Go to one shop and they wanted 3,000c for a gold fist. Go to another one and they wanted 1,650c for the gold fist. See one for 900c and thought about buying it but didn’t. Saw at another shop one for 1,00c and bought it.
Then my son tells me to meet him at a certain location I am familiar with, he leads me to a shop that has it for 550c.

My father used to own two businesses and he said prices should be no more than 2.5 times what you paid to cover costs, utilities, insurance, wages of employees, buying supplies and other. Part went for taxes, unemployment, social security, and other, one part was his and some for employees.
The players here don’t have utilities, insurance, social security, employees and other, plus they get footfall. The prices should be lower. I’m not against them making profit, but I am against them stealing from players, especially ones who are new and doesn’t realize it. Then get mad that the devs didn’t fixed it to control gouging prices.

Off my soapbox on unfair prices.

Couldn’t find the shop anywhere. Might want to add directions in the post

Edit: Found it, I’m just super lazy and don’t like going outside the hubs. Bought all your coal, fragments and blood, filled your bone and hide baskets

The unfair prices drive me up a wall as well. 550 for gold fists is a good price though, i sell them for the same. iron tools for 95, copper for 55, titanium for 1650, and forged based on how many ingredients it took for the results. but nothing near where i see other shops selling for (possibly why my aoe titanium hammers vanish so fast.) this is in Kraken Krafts, right under the Exchange. The signs are pretty big.

Unfortunately the devs have given us the only tool i believe they plan on giving us to deal with this sort of thing. the ability to make shops ourselves. which is why im doing it, i actually dislike being a sales person. i prefer trades and gifts and just having fun mining and crafting. but if i see a problem and don’t try to fix it then honestly i am part of the problem.

Glad you are playing the game with family, its a great game to just spend some quality time in with people. if you guys ever need a hand or tips/tricks/advice i would be happy to help. The game is too good to let the little things ruin it for us, balancing or trading or even rude players. this game is just too fun and relaxing.

Edit: also added directions to main post, im sort of a noob at forums and this sort of thing.