Explaining Beacons and Settlements post Release 211

What is the name of your settlement?

@Locust7

The Floating City. On raxxa. -729E 1567E. It worked fine before the patch

Okay, what I’m missing in this is the need for 3 plots to touch 3 plots of another beacon in order to not be regarded as bridging settlements!

Everything, and I mean everything, was plotted right next to each other, but 2 of the main problem areas were 2 plot high ‘road’ connectors to connect to somewhat further away beacons we own. This means that the columns were touching each ohter in at least 2 plots but it wasn’t enough. This had to be changed to 3 plots high otherwise we would get the dreaded bridging messages…

Make them 3 high and it should go back to normal!

Wide, not high. Height doesn’t matter.

1 Like

not true. As I said, there has to be 9 plots between your plot and the 8 neighbours and it doesnt matter if there is 9 in one plot, or 1 in each of the 9 plots.

JA - after Release 211.2:

there has to be 6 plots between your plot and the 8 neighbours and it doesnt matter if there is 6 in one plot, or 1 in each of the 6 plots.

2 Likes

I found this explanation very helpful, especially the part about how the edge plots in the debug tool showed as roads.

In my opinion there will be some pain adjusting to this change but it really will be for the better in the long run for everyone.

It took me about an hour to place a few plots here and there to fix my settlement area which was inconveniant, sure.

If anyone wants help with their settlement feel free to pm me or hit me up on discord @DaBuilder.

2 Likes

I just told you we solved it by making the connection 3 high, why don’t you believe that then?

I had to do that in one settlement…if you have builds or “neighbors” that are vertical, sometimes it’s needed.

Well hopefully the actual dev stepping in and explaining will help with that.

Some advice that was correct yesterday is no longer correct today.

1 Like

Thank you for spelling this one out. Much appreciated and the new system and the debug UI is fantastic! Great work to you and the team.

2 Likes

Ok…something I’ve kinda noticed. The beacon UI says the owner has no perms to collect the coin, but you still can…fine…

@lucadeltodecso @vdragon @rossstephens However, if the beacon is “controlled” by the guild, I am able to still receive footfall coin & collect it.

If the beacon is aligned, but not controlled, it doesn’t gain any footfall coin. If it’s suppose to work like this, it seems backwards to me

Aligned & controlled by the guild…I am still getting footfall over and over:

Aligned & not controlled…quit getting any footfall as soon as I aligned it:

1 Like

CAUTION - the following images might not reflect the exact state after Release 211.2, which changed the way roads are considered.

(Note: these images are from local version which has a slight refinement to the way the settlements “dilate” which stops them dilating into non-beaconed plots and stops guild-settlements from dilating into plots of different guilds, but functionally in terms of how the settlements get created nothing is different from live here)

:: Bordering road plots dont matter

!

Here there are two beacons, both of which have bordering road plots, and yet a single settlement is formed because ignoring all the road plots, there is a contiguous region of plots which becomes a settlement, and each beacon is only in that single region which so neither of them “bridge multiple settlements”.

:: Sometimes, if careful, “real” roads can allow neighbouring settlements not to merge even without guilds and without bridging multiple settlements

!

Here the new beacon “is” adjacent to the settlement from before, but is seperated by road plots (a single road plot in this case). This means that when looking at non-road plots, there are two contiguous sections of plots, and the new beacon does not bridge multiple settlements, because all of its non-road-plots are in a single contiguous section, so here we get 2 settlements that touch together at the road but dont merge, and no beacons get removed due to bridging multiple settlements. This is a “delicate” balance, as any change to the neighbouring beacons could cause you to then merge again which is why guild settlements are a better solution!

:: Roads that split a single beacon into two contigous plot regions produces the “bridges multiple settlements” state

!

Here, the new beacon has joined up with the top of the previous settlement, but if you look, the beacon is actually split into two different pieces by roads, so that the bottom of the beacon “wants” to join the settlement from before, but the top part of the beacon also wants to become “its own” settlement… so whilst the bottom part does become (in terms of compass and places menu) part of the settlement below, the beacon itself will not be part of any settlement as it has “bridged” two diffferent settlements (one which then actually failed to materialize into a full settlement due to having no beacons in it and thus not hitting the prestige threshold)

:: Bordering road plots can become quite large without problems

!

Here this single beacon has a region of plots at the bottom that are “all” road plots, and it produces a settlement as there is 1 continugous set of plots without the beacon being split into two pieces, the settlement confines also do not reach all the way down the “long road”.

:: A single beacon can still “bridge multiple settlements” without needing any other beacons involved

!

Here that single beacon has been expanded with more plots at the bottom… but now produces 2 contiguous set of non-road plots which attempt to become 2 different settlements… the beacon is now inside 2 settlements and is discarded as “bridging multiple settlements”, and both settlements then fail to materialize due to not having any beacons in them.

:: A beacon that is split into two pieces… can still be joined up by neighbouring beacons

!

Here, that single beacon which “bridged multiple settlements” has been helped out by a neighbouring new beacon which provides a a path around the split in the beacon, so that here we have 1 contiguous set of non-road plots which both beacons got inserted into, so even though the beacon from before splits “itself” into two non-road pieces, it still ends up getting a settlement thanks to the neighbouring beacon. This is not a stable arrangement though, since changes to that neighbouring beacon could cause a split again, so it is always better to have your beacon on its own, be contiguous to begin with.

4 Likes

I guess I’m wrong. I misunderstood.

All was fine with all my walkways and beacon. Update came out and now I get the merging settlement issue.
I remember about 2 high and I did all that before update and all working good. Now it changed and I understand the logic behind it. So now I’m going to have to delete the walkways I created because I don’t have it 3 wide due to others building on each side of the walkway.

How I look at it: Waste of my time and REAL Money!
Might just take it all down! it is what it is

@lucadeltodecso Question…where does the guild treasury get it’s coin from? Is it drawing the footfall from aligned beacons? I know part of it is from members donating, but there is more coin coming from somewhere else.

I feel so dumb right now because I don’t understand.

The first pic. The green is one beacon and the white another, right?

The green plots with the red hashes are roads “owned” by the green beacon. The white plots with the red hashes are roads “owned” by the white beacon…right?

Why are they roads? They don’t extend from the beacon at all.

Thanks my question was pretty much answered when you posted this earlier today. Tt was clear in the shots that I posted earlier that my single beacon is trying to resolve into 3-5 separate “settlements” based on my current plot density.

I’d like to borrow your sample image and request clarification on another point, regarding a statement that road status on a particular plot ‘isn’t important’.

In this sample image the beacon will report to the owner that they have a healthy 22 plot beacon of some prestige that’s generating footfall when people cross over it.

But IT seems that if there are shop stands at the yellow stars, a player can cross along any of the blue paths, entering and exiting the beacon two or more times, interact with both sets of shop stands, and generate zero footfall to the builder.

Is this interpretation correct, or do plots designated as ‘road’ still generate footfall to the beacon holder if they aren’t trying to “bridge”?

Will the footfall received ( or the per-user coin amount displayed by the beacon) reflect that prestige of the full 22 plots, or only the prestige of the 13 “settlement” plots?

It sounds like maybe plots can also be considered “roads” if they don’t have enough prestige:

Looking at my own settlement, I’ve noticed the plots identified as roads tend to be buffer plots with nothing in them.

@james @lucadeltodecso would love to have some more specifics on this if possible, can you share the exact rules for identifying roads?

@lucadeltodecso I don’t really want to receive other people’s beacon/footfall coin, just because they align their beacon to the guild.

They are already freely donating coin to the guild.

IMO beacons that are simply aligned & not controlled by the guild, should not have their footfall garnished. (If someone could check the history to see if this is happening…it would put my mind at ease)

1 Like