Explaining Footfall post Release 211

Okay I just checked and all of them have 10,000+ prestige in our main shop. Do alts share footfall with main character beacons too? Those are all lowered as well anyway

Two “off the beaten path” beacons of mine appear to be getting footfall, but not quite as much as before.

My primary beacon generates nothing even though there are folks that move through the area frequently - 200k prestige.

I made a series of proposals to stimulate the economy @james, though they are by no means exclusive. We have too much money going out of the economy, too little coming in, and no incentive to spend. We need an immediate and comprehensive economic stimulus package that doesn’t just address footfall. Using footfall as the only method of reliable currency generation gives you too few tools to manage the economy.

Help us help you, create a economy proposals thread, sticky it, and let the best ideas thrive.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, even after the recent update beacons belonging to the same account but each from a different character have no effect on one another, but I’ll need to test more to be confident that this is still the case.

But (at least up until 211) if Character A has, say, 5 different separate beacons in the same larger settlement, then a visitor would only generate coins in the first beacon belonging to Character A that they entered that day, even if they generated ‘zero’ because of whatever reason (permissions usually, or the first beacon having too low prestige after 211).

That then starts a timer and it’ll be 24 hours before that visitor can generate any footfall on any of Character A’s beacons. With the new system, in theory if that visitor comes back after 24 hours, this second visit will generate less than the first, and it only goes back to the full value after 5 days have passed after the initial timer was started.

(The 5 day timer may or may not reset with each visit, we’ll need either confirmation from the devs or further prolonged testing to be sure of what they intended with this second longer timer)

Edit: And to muck things up a little bit more, if your repeated visitors have been coming daily, then they might be generating too little footfall (maybe even zero, who knows) because of that 5 day timer that went into effect before the fixes, which is why I was creating a new character to test with, so that it wouldn’t have any timer-related issues, but I realize that not everyone will have a character slot to spare for this sort of thing, thus why I was offering to help you test in game. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I threw some decorative diamond in my little shop and someone ran through and did get footfall coin FYI. We figured out that the other beacon with 0 footfall says “bridges multiple settlements” so for some reason this must block any footfall coin

Yes, it would. That happens when the beacon doesn’t know which settlement it will belong to, and since it can’t decide, it doesn’t know which settlement to ‘pull’ the prestige value from to calculate the footfall.

The solution is to either shrink that beacon by removing some plots until it no longer touches the second settlement, or alternately keep adding plots to it until the settlements merge. Usually a 2x3 plot ‘tube’ with all six plots touching plots belonging to the second settlement will force a merge.

It is quite possible that if that is the first beacon that people enter from, then it’ll stop 'em from generating footfall on any beacon belonging to the character that owns it on either settlement that it touches.

2 Likes

Any of the other beacons in the same settlement and on the same character perhaps? Since now, only the beacon of, say your main, gets footfall if a player steps on that beacon of your main first. If the player then steps onto another beacon of your main char in the same settlement the 2nd doesn’t get any as per the new footfall rules…

That worked when visitors spent their coin. :wink:

It’d be interesting to see how a number of similar prestige builds compare based on number of visitors. Understanding where you are on the footfall curve might help folks understand if they’ve got work to do on the visitor metric or on the prestige metric to improve their income.

Overnight I used to make roughly 1.5k coin.
Checked beacon 544c.

I know isnt “Supposed” to be a nerf. But it is. Still only getting maybe 25-30% what i was receiving before.

And if everyone is getting that %, and most wanting to donate to guild for buffs. There isnt much extra left to go spend at shops.

4 Likes

Seems that is about the % most are reporting

It never was suppose to be income. But a thank you and encouragement to build something more than a rock and a weed on a plot. I still am jaded to players complaining they have less footfall with that rock and weed in comparison to someones awesome giant build that actually attracts players to their plot.

Thnx for more breakdowns James.

For me it went from 10% of pre-guild patch to 20% since yesterday’s patch.

This things needs tweaking, big time…

I’m going to test again. I’ll let you know.:+1:

Then there needs to be another/other coin generation vectors. If the only repeatable one “isn’t meant to be income” then I’m not exactly sure how they expect the economy to function.

So, preliminary testing with @ginabean indicates that the number of people that generate footfall at a beacon in a short period of time will have a diminishing return.

I suspect about 20% reduction per additional visitor in a short period of time, from the ‘maximum’ coin per visitor as determined by the settlement prestige (80c in the case of the beacon we were looking at).

Preliminary testing indicates that this may get reset to the ‘maximum’ coin per visitor if no one has visited in about 20 to 30 minutes, but more testing will be needed to determine exactly how long it takes.

Would love some dev confirmation on those numbers, @james, @lucadeltodecso or anyone else? :slight_smile:

Edit: Assuming that is working as intended.

2 Likes

Hi @james. @Arkhainn and I just did some testing with a brand new character.

From what we can see, it is definately an issue of the scaling down per number of visits.

I have thoughts on this.

1. If the coin per visit is reduced by the number of visits, which number is the reduction being taken from? And in which order?

So, day 1 I have the potential to get the max amount, then it is scaled down by the fact that I have X amounts of visits.

On day 2, of some one visits the amount is scaled down because he was there yesterday.

Then, after X amounts of visits, that number is scaled down again, even more.

I think this is the issue. It’s like a double whammy. I also wonder if this is intended to penalize the way it seems to be doing. I can see the logic behind it and how it is meant to keep portal hubs from seeing so much footfall just due to the sheer number of visits per day. I have several portals which are intended to draw footfall… but I am definately NOT a portal hub.

I’m wondering if simply increasing the X would help? So that the reduction isn’t happening so quickly as far as visits are concerned.

I’m sorry, I am horrible at articulating what I’m thinking. I hope someone can grasp what I’m trying to say. :blush:

1 Like

You explain so much better! :nerd_face::+1:

1 Like

Actually by mathing it out I’m tempted to say each additional visitor in the ‘short period’, whatever that is, will reduce the coin generated by approximately 15%, to match the numbers we were seeing:

Coin Ratio Reduced
80 0.85 68
68 0.85 57.8
57 0.85 48.45
48 0.85 40.8
40 0.85 34

Except, for some reason, it went from 40c (that was me :smiley: ) to 10c at the presumably sixth visitor.

The testing was conducted with at least one character (mine) that had literally just stepped out of the character creation screen and shouldn’t have any reason to be affected by any of the expected timers.

2 Likes

There are many factors taken into account.

To test it you would need to have new beacons and settlements and players. Else there are historic actions to include.

(On mobile.)

It wasn’t a new beacon, but the character that generated 40c (mine) had literally just been created minutes before, still had the new citizen buff and everything. :slight_smile: