Explaining Footfall post Release 211

Note… when I took him to another of my characters beacons, I did get the 80c.

Yeah, it was a small sample size to draw any definite conclusions but what was happening on screen is that each different, unrelated character that ran by was generating less footfall than the previous one, so it looked a lot like diminishing returns, and it matched pretty closely with a 15% reduction per character (after rounding), other than the last one that generated 10c. Maybe the last one was under the 5 day timer too, further reducing it, but it’s hard to say anything definite.

Next time we can try your isolated beacon and I bring 5 of my characters that never went there, since its easier to isolate the factors without random people running in and out.

As vocal as I’ve been about footfall issues, after reading James’s commitment earlier - that no one will end up getting less and many people will get more - I’m happy to be patient and see what the next few days bring.

1 Like

Up until recently, footfall was 1/3-1/2 of my income.

It’s circular. Unless you have forged items or 2k advanced coils for sale, you don’t make much off of sales because nobody has the coin to buy incidental items.

My top sellers are doors, cheap machines and yam soup. Not exactly high profit items.

I have regular refinery coils going for 1500c, but I can’t give the things away at this point since advanced coils have dropped lower in price than the materials to craft them.

I have 500c Gold fists, which is about half the price of the mats, collecting dust on the shelves.

There is no money for people to buy anything, so we are relying on footfall…which is still a fraction of what it used to be so people have no money, etc…

5 Likes

You were clear, I think most of us understood.

Just checked my beacon today. I have 511c, so around a third of what it was.
Getting better though!

I think most of agree… well, footfall now is trash. We all know it’s broke. I understand you’re having a difficult time and the coding is very hard. Most of everyone I talked to including me thought that coin generated from footfall would increase due to the 24 day cycle to be fixed. What happened was my coin slashed to about let’s say might as well give me nothing. What I was getting was do able. Is there anyway you can review what beacons WERE generating , add 38% and implement that. See what happens to the economy. This will give you time to figure out a solid structure on a closed circuit of the game. If you’re capable of doing such of course. I’m not sure what that entails.

1 Like

Part of my problem with this is why are we getting penalized for repeat traffic? If anything, you should get a reward for repeat traffic.

I don’t understand how this is boosting the footfall of remote settlements. “X” amount of coin (40 in my case) per person, per 24 hours is just fixing something that was broken, not a boost. Who does the repeat visit reduction help?

Just make is Xc per 24 hours and be done with it. Heck, I’d double the current amounts. A forged gem hammer costs 18K. At current rate of footfall, I should be able to buy one between 75 and 150 days from now.

No matter who is getting the coin, more into circulation helps the poorest the most.

Let the coin flow.

2 Likes

I understand where they’re coming from, it’s not that simple.
If there are a few super rich people, they’ll drive the prices up for everyone else because they can just buy anything at whatever price.

So I think it is an attempt at wealth redistribution, of not letting it all accumulate at the top (and possibly be hoarded and so, not circulate).

It’s a complicated issue and it’s not likely to hit the sweet spot right away, it’ll be a continuous balancing act.
We just need to provide 'em with enough data so that they can adjust the balance better as time goes on so that it’ll get better fine-tuned for the intended goal.

However, it is a bit of… unfortunate timing when it comes together with a massive coin sink in the form of guild buffs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

whilst your post is true… an update which trebled the FF, would put us where we were before the patch. Then tinker upwards from there.

This is not just directed at you. I’m just using you as a jump off point.

1. Prices NEED to be driven up, desperately. Advanced coils are running 1/2 to 1/3 the price they should be. Meanwhile, the most expensive items, forged gem gear, have barely changed price at all. That’s the sole benefit of the forge system, forged items are recession proof.

2. Hoarded money doesn’t hurt anything. The only people hoarding money are the people who aren’t spending money anyway.

3. Guilds have become a GIANT coin sink. Most of the “big money” people are either running or actively participating in guilds. I doubt money hoarding will be an issue.

4. We need super rich people. In any economy, fake or otherwise, it’s the super rich that keep the economy going. They are the ones who contribute to oort baskets, maintain the guilds, make the giant builds for us to visit, buy up our leaves because they don’t want to farm them themselves. Making sure they continue to get obscene profits is to all our benefit.

5. And, just like in real life, you can’t “punish” the rich without destroying the middle class (shops my size). The rich are, at least, 50% of the middle class’s customers (again, buying the goods they don’t want to farm or setting up baskets to do the same.)

Turn off the all the footfall restrictions other than the 24-hour rule, do a one-time drop between 20 and 50k into everyone’s account, and the economy will be fixed within a week. Guaranteed.

Of course, it would be several more weeks before prices start to settle.

1 Like

While I agree, on a certain level, with a few of your points, I wanted to point out that the coil issue is separate. They’re more or less a one time purchase, unless there’s a constant stream of new players into the game the prices would bottom out regardless of the economy, since they’re not consumable, and once you have enough, you have enough. I’m sure a large chunk of the active population already reached the point where they have as many coils as they need, so there’s no significant demand anymore.

1 Like

This is game where money doesn’t cap out ya know. :thinking:

I was just using coils as an example of a greater problem. Gold tools, for example, are hideously underpriced right now. Running about a third of what they should be going for. Same with titanium.

So, just like most countries with fiat currency. :slight_smile:

And what happens when too much money is printed? :stuck_out_tongue:

If everyone was making 10 times as much money as they were making say, two weeks ago, then nothing would change in effect because everything would start selling out completely at current prices, and prices would raise accordingly until everything was 10 times as expensive. And the little guy with no massive source of passive income, who can only play a little bit each day, would have everything perpetually out of reach because the higher income bracket drives the prices.

I understand the theory of what they’re attempting to do with those changes, and it might work (or not, too early to tell), but it will need quite a bit of adjusting until things are at a more balanced level.

5 Likes

This is where natural selection tends to work best right. :joy:

How are you defining “should?” I’m not denying that we are seeing deflation but a free market is going to set the price of goods at what the market can bare. If you just mean “what they sold for 3 months ago” that wasn’t some price ordained by the ancestor, that’s just what the market could bare. If coin where to actually enter the game somehow (maybe the devs have control over this this, who knows) then prices could well end up higher (in terms of set price) than they were before. Purchasing power and velocity are really the guides here.

Yes and no. 10x could be the sweet spot where it gets the economy moving, or it could be Zimbabwe, it’s hard to tell because there is so little right now. If the little guy actually has ways to generate coin other than hope people walk through his house (but not too fast!) then that could act as a motivator. But I agree just slapping an extra 0 onto the footfall number doesn’t help.

1 Like

I think we should add a zero to the end… :roll_eyes:

Cost of mats + 50%.

I figure gold tools should be going for about 1200.

Ok, across the 4 planets/settlements that I have beacons in. Last week, I received on advantage across all of them about 10-25% of what I received per week before the update. to give better more complete numbers. I used to get about 5000 coins among all my plots combined per week. and my total average per week is about 1200 coins now. (both combined from all plots). With some plots only getting 10% and others getting about 35% of what they used to.

Now, I will be testing again over the next 7 days to see what my new total is across them all. I collected them all last night, so next Monday I will see what a week’s coin total is. (making sure I visit each beacon at least once per day so they shouldn’t fall into the category of falling off the higher values which i’m not sure if is in the new system or not).