Farming goo

@pajew did two wide which I have setup in one spot making lumi yellow and its a consistent 220%-80% … now you got me thinking on a long run 3 wide… looks like I need to stop being lazy and see what happens…

2wide not 3 it let’s me put more up

1 Like

either way you did a good job on your goo farm @pajew :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh I think I see how I misunderstood now, sorry.

Yes I made mine 3 wide just so that I can harvest with a 3x3 tool :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use the 215/75 gleam layout because i want them to mutate :slight_smile:

Gleambow goo room:

Top of it:

5 Likes

Oh how I want to steal your base! Such a nice build. I will instead settle for just stealing your organization method :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Came here to ask how people organise their colours, wasn’t disappointed haha :slight_smile:
Any other methods for sorting pigment colours easily? I’m rubbish with colours!

This is my current (temporarily permanent) setup that I’m using. Having them on shop stands makes them really easy to sort and deposit, also it’s great so that friends can browse and see what I have when they are looking for paints.

…but it still is quite a chore and the stands are quickly running out of space. So when (if) I ever get around to building my “permanent” setup I want to somehow incorporate Pannero’s system with my own.

3 Likes

Heres the outcome 220 / 80 tyvm again u guys

4 Likes

Appreciate people posting examples and such, nice farms!

Have been slowly redoing my farm since gleambow came back, and it’s been more of an adventure than I thought. Getting there now, though I ended up making it way less efficient space-wise than it could have been. Also, feel a bit silly for never realizing that the lighting could be on the same level as the goo- I’ve been sticking gleam in the floors, heh.

Awesome colour organization @Pannero! That’s one thing I’ve been kind of stumped on, may take some inspiration there.

@wakeNbake Try a long row of 3 wide with 1 row of lava on each side and the center of each the 3x3 with a lava on top.
sure you only get 8 out of 9 the 9 blocks - but the numbers work out and it opens the door for 3x3 harvesting if that is the desire.

Ok so the centre block of each 3x3 square you mean not to plant goo on?

The problem I see with this is that you will need to hit the centre block in order to harvest each 3x3 square and if you harvest by hitting a block instead of hitting the plant you will lose the crop bonus from the farming epic. I could be wrong but I am fairly certain this is the case, unless someone can correct me?

I understand I could hit the solid rows of plants to harvest but this would be essentially the same as harvesting a 2 wide strip, if not worse.

I’m not entirely dedicated to making a 3 wide strip for harvesting, it was simply the first set up I tried when I was testing layouts. After seeing the 2 block wide strips and the amount of space that could be saved I am considering a change.

I have also devised a layout that is 5 blocks wide with 2 blocks of lava each side, I am playing around with at the moment to see if I can make it look good.

I could see where that would be concern. but just harvest the 3x3 centered on the planted block in the center row. Still get 8 of 9 blocks consistently.

L=Lava, G=Goo, H=Harvest
GLG GLG
GGG GHG
GGG GGG
GLG GLG
GGG GHG
GGG GGG

1 Like

What do people pay for goo kernals? 100 cents is what I was selling them for but prices seem to have gone down. Don’t want to price gouge.

I’ve seen people buying them for about ~50c at the highest end.

I think it would depend partly on color. I’d pay more for a black/pure color seed for example than a stale/pale/silk anything

I did a bunch of testing of the various setups I found online and if you want to optimize every grow I found the following as the ideal setup:

LLLLLL
LLGGLL
LLGGLL
LLLLLL   

This will get every single goo both maximum crop & seed possible. This is 215% crop and 75% seed when grown in gleam and 220% corp and 80% seed when grown in rock.

It’s the easiest balanced setup. Going for higher seed % seems silly at first glance, but running the numbers almost always it’s better to increase it if you want to get the most crop possible

The tradeoff of course being space and crop cycles (time)

It all depends on your stock and desired pigments. If you have a large seed stock and want pigments then sponge all the way knowing you are exchanging seed stock for pigment. The most sustainable model is rock with gleam a close second if you are trying to change colors.