Farming is not for me

I find the mutation mechanic of goo odd as I do not see how it will function when you are getting fewer and fewer seeds each cycle until you have to resupply from an exo and start over.

1 Like

Let me be clear, I have a huge plot sitting vacant, waiting for crops. I’ve been SOOO excited for this update.

I just don’t understand why they are trying so hard to court hardcore gamers. Know your audience. It’s casual, make the mechanics casual.

I will say, you guys are talking about seeds and mutations and I didn’t see any of that in the testing thread, so I’m missing something I still need to read.

But the idea that I have to visit the 7th level of Hell just to paint my house has me fit to be tied…and if anyone says “just buy them” I will chew my gum in a snappy manner at you and you wont like it.

6 Likes

I would not accept reduction drops, that would definitely have me doing no farming. I know that I don’t farm much, just mainly for the exotic yams that are hard for me to get.

Right now I feel as if this game has lost it’s appeal. I have to gather to get the items to make food that I use to trade for the mats I need for forging.

If I have to farm them, I won’t have time to build and take care of a farm and harvest it; I will have to the time to make the pies to trade with, plus gather what else I will need to make the forged items – then make them.

I have a lot of time to play, but not the desire to play and do all of that. If I don’t farm then I have to buy the items I need for the pies and other food and for the forging. I won’t make enough coins to be able to afford that.

If they cut back what can be gathered in farms, that will be the icing to the cake.

I’m going to give it time, see what happens, what changes are made as the devs read responses, make adjustments. I’m just hoping I’m not being too negative about it.

13 Likes

All of this.

6 Likes

Now that, I think, might be a biiiig assumption.
Everytime I go in a big hunt organized by those big Ultima guilds and all, I always hear them on Discord, wondering when Wonderstruck is going to release the next big challenge.
HOWEVER, I do think those might indeed not be the majority. Or are they?

ten charac

Goo slowly changes tint depending on the planet it is farmed on, this however become pointless with the low seed return xd

Thanks for the info, guys.

It’s worse than I thought.

2 Likes

What did you want? It sounds like you just want a creative mode or something. Or for the game to be solo friendly? The farming is meant to be a profession like hunting or forging. Its meant to be a specialization. Someone who farms isn’t supposed to also be a hunter and a forger and a miner. You’re supposed to trade.

I gather you want to be able to do everything but then it wouldn’t be an mmo.

2 Likes

There is NOTHING wrong with high end content. In The Division I’m never going into the Dark Zone. I’m okay with that. Add plenty of that, too.

But they are making the BASIC mechanics more and more grindy.

And grind =/= difficulty. It’s just an annoying time sink. It’s not like we are grinding for gear, we’re grinding for freaking seeds.

And THAT would be fine…as long as seeds are self-perpetuating. But they’re not, of course. More grind.

3 Likes

Like craft Ancient essences,compact coal, Fuel beacons,fuel portals,fill shop stands,SORT misc stuff,farm more stuff to make stuff you need to finally do what you want “Something else”?

2 Likes

Preach

2 Likes

I think you are spot on to wait and see :]

3 Likes

LESS GRIND.

I want to be self sufficient and not have to go to high tier worlds.

If you want me to buy stuff, give me a way to make far more money without leaving my house. I have stuff to build.

Which I’m not doing. Because grind.

It’s a voxel game. BE a voxel game.

5 Likes

I don’t really see anything in this game, mechanics-wise, that is challenging. The largest challenge for many gamers will be finding the time to enjoy the different facets of this game. It’s actually the biggest thing holding me back for enjoying everything the game has to offer. It’s not an off the wall idea that time-strapped individuals will see farming as something that is a push backwards for them when farming releases. That doesn’t mean it won’t be more time efficient in the long run though, we just haven’t seen enough of it to really understand how its all going to work.

As I mentioned earlier in a reply to @Tagris, initially you will lose some because you can’t get your stuff cooking instantly, so time-strapped folks will lose an extra day growing stuff before they can start their mass crafts. Down the road, once we all transition, its entirely possible most of us will keep fields filled with enough for guaranteed masscrafts of items ready to harvest at any time. At that point, it definitely becomes faster to have farming than it does to go aoe regen.

3 Likes

While i agree to what you wrote, for many it is the road leading to the reward that Counts.
And the current and near future road Looks very bumpy for many. :slight_smile:
So how to remove some of the bumps i wonder.

What’s wrong with high tier worlds?

Oh Believe me when I see a hole in the market coming Im all prepared to capitalize on it. My real issue is if its hard on me to grind (and I enjoy it) and im financially sound in game what about the guy whos not or the new players.

I mean Im gonna go with the flow I’m not rage quitting like some might but I do like to look at the flip side of the coin and the potential for new player overgrind may not be the best look forward.

I will wait and see too maybe add crops above my mud n clay farms Im trying to best strategize and optimize with what I have and the info I have so not throwing in the towel.

Grind isn’t a challenge. It’s just time consuming. Players who hunt meteors are the type who are interested in a challenge. I don’t think many of the people I used to hunt with are at all interested in yet more grind.

The majority now seem to be those that can tolerate the grind. And that population appears to be shrinking over time.

4 Likes

This is a good attitude. The stuff was just released to testing. Now is the time to make your case heard on changes, so the game be balanced the best it is. Devs also want to know if the farming is enjoyable and what changes could be made to it.

1 Like