Farming is not for me

The new crops actually look very nice and do not wither.

1 Like

Totally gonna use them decoratively in a lot of places in my build.
Already placed leaves on the ceiling of my workshop so that I can have starberry vines hanging around. That’s gonna be SOOOO pretty.

3 Likes

Maybe you should just wait for release and then decide… testing is called testing for a reason… things can be adjusted and obviously CONSTRUCTIVE critisism is always welcome.
Dont do this kinda topic where you say you gonna quit cause of something that havent even hit the live serverd… thats pretty laughable to be honest.

6 Likes

I made my topic specifically to give feedback and start a conversation about the new system I feel it has succeeded well in that regard.

6 Likes

So if a crop has 3 stages you need to fertilize after each stage or at least check the plant to see if you can fertilize them in order to determine of the fertilizer effect turned off?

2 Likes

This would explain the weird differences in growth I have been seeing when using fert XD

Same here. It may be random but it seems to happen a lot. I should have taken a screen shot because I would estimate in hindsight that half my crops matured before the others and I fertilized everything. Might not be worth the fertilizer at all since I went through more than one pretty quickly.

1 Like

Considering the relative rarity of the mats to make the fert I do not see myself using it, I will prolly just eat the extra grow time XD

1 Like

We can always log off and go play another game.

Indeed or do other Boundless stuff. That is really what I wanted farming to be, a way to trade time for efficiency when it comes to crops. I could go farm up 900 x at an AOE block farm or be cheap and slow and farm it up while I do other things I enjoy more in the game =D

3 Likes

Don’t give them ideas. :joy:

1 Like

Apparently the chances of the fertilizer stopping at various stages of growth are pretty good. I planted and fertilized all these plants at the same time yesterday and here is how they look this morning.

Some are mature and some have barely grown. All the soil is the same all are within 3 blocks of water. Not sure what else could cause this.

2 Likes

Beautiful.

Here’s an example of how I see the “MMO part” of regen farms. Let’s assume you need mud to make bricks.

I can buy a 3x3 shovel with 3800 durability for 9000c and head to my favorite mud regen farm. 3800 durability should be something like 4900 hits with the durability epic. Would be more with a persisting pie but I prefer an XP pie.

4900 hits are 44100 blocks of mud. That’s enough for a few mass crafts of bricks.

But, thanks to Besevrona, I also got 2.8% Exotic Eathyams, that’s 1234 Earthyams. And I also got 11.2% Waxy Earthyams, thats 4939.

The 1234 Exotics I sell, right now Nova Golda pays 28c and would buy them all for 34552c. The Waxy I’m going to keep for deco stones, but I could sell them too.

For something like an hour of farming I:

• Got enought mud for a lot of bricks, what I actually wanted.
  • Bought a forged tool, made a forger some coins
  • Bought a teaching pie, made a cook some coins
  • Bought a bunch of speed brews, made a brewer some coins
  • Sold 1234 Exotic Earthyams, gave a cook something to work with.
  • Put 5 smart stacks of Waxy Earthyams in my storage. (Don’t we all love to hord?)
  • Made a bit over 20000c after the expenses of shovel, pie and brews for an hour.

Without the Earthyam drops I would have to

• Do something unrelated just to make enough coins to buy the shovel, pie, and brews, reducing my enjoyment of the game. (Grinding is only fun if it’s meaningful towards your goal.)
  • Not selling the Exotic to the cook, Aenea now has to farm these Earthyams herself, on her own farm, in solitude like a single player game.
  • Not making 20000c as a side effect, which I would be spending in a shop. Most likely buying Oort to keep the regen farm portals open.
3 Likes

I guess i just fail to see how adding a prep step to something where the reward is already lackluster is progress.

Lets face it forging is already way too involved and difficult and your adding more time and yet another step to the whole thing (i would never use a forged item without a persisting pie)
As one of the few in the game willing to forge i can tell you this is extremely discouraging… Again.

I can only imagine that the dev team feels they need to add things to keep the players playing but i (and i know i am far from alone) do NOT feel this is the way. As a player who really enjoys a grind and challenge i think forging as it is requires too much prep. Adding more will be a game breaker for me.

After all there is a point where too much prep makes forged items worthless since your time would be more efficiently spent just bypassing forging and using the base tool because forging prep takes more time than the forged tools save you.

I already felt this was the case now you are adding another step (seed gathering) plus hours and hours of waiting.

7 Likes

I would say make farming more than a bit better. Don’t eliminate the rewards from the block regen exploit, just reduce it so that those who need immediate gratification can still get it without participating in the economy, but those with the patience to farm and the foresight to ladder their yields will come out far ahead in the long run.

The block regen exploit was legitimate but unintended emergent gameplay. An economic incentive to turn to farming is a reasonable compromise over cold-turkey cutover, but it has to be a strong enough incentive to produce results (as opposed to the real-life examples of the US dollar coin, or the US move to the metric system).

4 Likes

I haven’t tried farming, yet, as I’m playing on PS4, but I’m looking less forward to it than previously.

At the moment I can be self-sufficient in everything - except forged tools, - making persisting pies, mega fast brews, mega instant healing brews, etc. However if the regen farming is going to be a thing of the past, I don’t think I will have the time to farm and maintain portals by hunting and mining for resources.

I work full-time, and am struggling to commit to things that I currently do without adding an extra, very involving, layer of grind. I don’t really have the coin to buy ingredients, so not being able to gather the mats myself with leave me in the position of not really being able to play the way I like.

I’m sure I’ll adapt and find a niche, but it might be a game breaker.

7 Likes

same i was hoping this patch would bring life back into the game but second day into testing and im already seeing people post on discord servers that im in that they are getting ready to call it quits once the patch lands

this farm patch really seems to be pushing boundless into more of a hardcore niche MMO rather then someting that you can log in play for a hour or 2 then log off

8 Likes

I disagree … mainly because it seems to need to be constantly reiterated that it’s not balanced yet… The current implementation of farming on the test server introduces some of the core mechanics. The numbers behind those mechanics are adjustable.

7 Likes

Yes, people keep saying that, but I doubt it’ll make a big difference in the end. The core changes that will make the game grindier are here and seeing what Wonderstruck have done in the past, I doubt they’ll change things to make them easier for casual gamers.

5 Likes