Feedback on NPE from a noob friend

Tutorial step “place blocks in beacon” should be re worded IMO. My new friend was trying to insert them into the beacon like fuel. Maybe “build in your beacon”?

He has probably 5000 hours on Minecraft and 5000 hours on Conan.

Other suggestions from a noob:

Add mass craft all
Take all
Store all
Rename the totem? Something like “multi tool” or “omni tool” (I like the name totem but apparently it is not an intuitive name)
Furnaces should be able to melt mixed metals one by one. This is very confusing to noobs. And annoying to all players!
Stacking of items is pretty confusing. An optional toggle to only stack exactly the same items might help new players and not hurt any current players.
You should float by default in water.
Add an icon in the corner for AoE tools so you can tell the difference between a titanium single target and a titanium 3x3 in your item wheel.
It’s crazy how high level you have to be just to get to t4 planets. By level 15 you should at least be ABLE to spec into protection lv1 and by level 25 you should at least have the OPTION to spec to go to t5.
Need a sort option in storages
Need an option to not smart stack different things (keep ores separate etc)
Planets in sanctum should spin faster for warping

7 Likes

In a lot of other similar games… “beacon” means something entirely different than it does in Boundless. That probably lends itself to some confusion.

1 Like

I tried to put flowers in the beacon, but I actually could put the flowers on the beacon and didn’t realise that wasn’t what they were asking. Sometimes the flowers looked great sitting in the fire of the beacon tho. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Perhaps “place blocks in beaconed area” is harder to misconstrue?

8 Likes

In the game parlance, a Beacon is a set of contiguous plots on a World designated by a Beacon Control or a Campfire. There isn’t really any ambiguity.

Only evidently there is ambiguity.

The problem with expecting the game lexicon to change because there are some people who do not understand it is that no matter what you change it to, there will be someone who does not understand it. Human interaction is hard. One reason I prefer to avoid it if at all possible.

4 Likes

A beacon control is also a “beacon” and looks like one. I don’t think changing the wording on the noob tutorial would hurt you @bregma

2 Likes

At this rate we may just drop the names and put an entire description on everything :laughing:

“Handme the hand crafted thing that has multiple purposes such as breaking blocks, teleporting and reviving and can also become a solidifier, liquid breaker or a looter depending on the extra characteristics that can be added by using the rng enhancer machine

6 Likes

I thinking making clearer the difference between a beacon and a beacon controller would be the thing here!

3 Likes

I think we just need to have all the guides - portal distance, damage calculator, maps of the universe, color charts, all of it - in game. There’s no reason to need so many external tools to learn the basics of a game :woman_shrugging:
The names of things wouldn’t matter so much if there were more tools in the game to teach new players.

2 Likes

Some of it is in the tutorials. But some better names would help too.

2 Likes

The tutorial and some things could be made more clear.

Thought Minecraft is not that intuitive tbh the difference is that Minecraft has a huge community and you can pretty much Google anything.

5 Likes

I think place blocks within your plot space is more helpful

2 Likes

Incorrect. In some of the most-played similar games, a beacon has almost nothing to do with plots. It is usually a beacon of light or simply marks a spot so that you can find your way back. In most games, campfires are used as “cooking level 1” or to heal…not to save your house or start plotting.

The way Boundless uses it, is not intuitive (as you can see, it does confuse some players). This is where a tutorial would come in handy. :wink:

4 Likes

This is why I’m not a fan of having important info & things on places like Discord. Google can’t spider it.

3 Likes

I agree with major here, it’s definitely inconsistent with other games and even though PERSONALLY I am used to it, for new players a name change might be helpful. It could just be some longer name like “land claim beacon”. Plotter could be “land claimer” and deplotter “land unclaimer” something like this.

I’m sure this idea will get flamed. But keep in mind the idea here is what would make boundless more accessible and fun to new players. Which at least most of us want.

2 Likes

PS4 or PC?

Can you email it to yourself, download it, then post it here?

Heck, in the English language that’s what a beacon is.

I was confused between plots, beacon controls, beacons, and chunks for the longest time. I had to do some close reading of all the in-game tutorial and description text (by reading the raw data files) before I got a firm grasp. I will not argue about the terminology being confusing, because it plainly is. I will only argue that no matter what it gets changed to, there will be someone who is confused. I’ll conclude with the proposal that the NPE should be reworked to clarify the terminology and possibly an in-game glossary be provided to augment the Knowledge Tab.

3 Likes

Maybe all names and descriptions should run run through an up goer five filter.

Well, at least it would be funny.

I’d like the tooltips on forged items to include the boons/quirks/defects no matter what they are. Just icons would be fine too if text doesn’t fit.

13 Likes