Fibrous leaf drops from foliage

I got fed up with hunting Yucca plants so today I decided to give farming foliage a try. Call me crazy, but I think the fibrous leaf drop rate is not uniform. I haven’t pinned down any exact rules yet, but certain trees seem to yield fibrous leaves much more often than other trees or ground foliage. Call me crazier still, but it might even be certain parts of those trees that have the higher yield rates.

When harvesting the high-yield foliage, I get a leaf on somewhere around one out of every five or so. Everywhere else, I’m lucky to get one in twenty. Once I noticed the pattern, I tried running around a forest clearing out only the high-yield foliage. I didn’t track the time, but it felt like I was getting leaves just as fast as if I were running around looking for yucca, maybe even a little faster.

I hope someone else on this forum with more patience than me can do some more experimenting and pin down the exact drop rate behavior :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hold on and wait for 191 go live as it brings some drop rate changes. Will see what happens then and what patterns emerge (or not).

I was counting this thing to once. I got a fibrous every 32-35 foliage. Looking for the live update. In fact I don’t even want to harvest right now until the balance comes.

1 Like

Also, they are desert swords now :joy:

Actual drop rate from foliage differs depending on world tier. Highest tier world foliage have more items to drop, as waxy and juicy starberries both can drop along the normal starberry. So despite having higher total drop numbers, ring world foliage won’t drop more of a certain type. Its total drops are divided between too many items.

I read luck only effects tier 3 worlds too, so that helps with drop rate I assume.

It also affects tier 2 worlds drops apart from high tier items. So in case of resources coal, iron, silver etc get affected on tier 2 worlds too, but gems only on tier 3 worlds. Then I would similarly expect drops from surface resources to be affected on all worlds above home too apart from those that are qualified as rare. Haven’t checked it though. It’s a guess. And it is a subject of balancing in next update so we will see what then.

I think it has an effect on all worlds. I’ve put a few into Luck…I might have all Luck even? And I now get double fossils and tech pretty consistently, and upwards of 3 or 4 fibrous leaves from yucca plants I think. I haven’t done any real in depth study on it or anything, but I feel like I’m getting more out of what limited resource nodes I’ve hunted down.

1 Like

It’s actually the opposite unless I need corrected.
Luck affects t1 worlds most and less so going to t3 worlds. On t1 worlds I get 3 drops of coal and copper and stuff consistantly with luck, and moving towards t3 worlds I get between 1- 3 drops, mostly 2’s with some 3’s. But better than single drops I usually get on t3 worlds with no luck.

That was only for specific things like gems
@Zina I think luck should affect all worlds pretty much the same, other than the blocks with extra drops dependant on world tier

1 Like

No worries! A developer in the recent testing server forums said in the comments they are working on the drop rates and amount needed whatever that means.

Yea I saw that to. I was hoping that we could see some numbers of Luck though. The diff worlds definitely are not the same. I know that some things are bad to announce as far as people exploiting how worlds work. But Knowing how a skill is actually affecting us mathematically could be quite beneficial so we can plan, instead of so much trial and error.

1 Like

I explained some of the maths here

2 Likes

I did some experimenting yesterday on the main server. I mined foliage for three hours and still don’t have a clear picture. The average yield (@ 60 luck, if it even matters) seems to be around 5%. This is on Solum. It’s hard to tell if different things can influence it because the yield is highly variable. I can fully strip the leaves off of the exact same type of tree twice in a row, and get 3% the first time and 8% the second time. Certain trees seem to do better on average, but it’s really hard to tell. And the ground foliage seems to do just as well as trees on average, unlike I previously thought.

It did feel a little like I was getting worse yields at night. Could there be a pattern with time of day or maybe celestial alignment (e.g. better yields when the moon is visible)? Probably not - it’s probably just the variable RNG, and me wanting to believe better yields are possible :slight_smile:

I do hope they do increase the yields a little in the future. It’s not terrible, but yucca plants can be hard to find right now, and strip mining leaves is pretty boring.

Also, I have no idea what to do with all the foliage. Maybe there should be an extractor recipe to extract fibrous leaves from foliage. I don’t care if the yield is terrible, I just want to get something out of the stacks and stacks of foliage I have now.

1 Like

Use foliage to make beacon fuel. 180 of them to mass craft 25 of any type. At least some will go that way.

There is a consistent probability of a fibrous leaf dropping. You must just have odd RNG :grin:

1 Like

my relaxing exercise is: gather f.leaf in planet T1 (Therka) with a silver axe, luck stat maxed, bonus stat maxed, power stat maxed. foliage is broken with a single-fast-hit, roaming in groove biome (2 or 3 layer of foliage, no trunks in the middle) and consuming 2 silver axes (very fast) it gives me more 100 to 120 fibrous leaf, that doesn’t take more than 20 minutes if done continuosly, in 1 hour that is 6 silver axes for 300 to 360 f.leaf
obviously with gem tools etc you can reach far more than that

1 Like