Finata is truly unplayable

For portal hub purposes only. If a link in the portal chain passes through Eu servers you are stranded 5 nights a week.

1 Like

Sucks, but it is what it is.

I am in the US and only have slight issues going through certain EU portals in the evening. If you get “stranded” often, you should send in a help ticket.

I think the issue with Finata, specifically may be that the world is #1 as far as people, builds, chunks to load, edited blocks, etc. That’s a lot to load. Also, your ISP might be throttling you or your firewall blocking…

1 Like

Do we need that? Currently I’m not seeing posts every day complaining about the US and AUS servers I guess. We can add something like that if it becomes an issue.

2 Likes

find a free VPN server in EU that you have a good connection to. VPN there to access EU servers on boundless. I’m in Canada and haven’t had any lag issues on any planets since before they reduced the max player count way back regarding that server saving issue. People can’t get to Alcyon for hunts because they can’t go through circarpous or beseverona, meanwhile I can operate on those planets just fine at that time with no lag.

What I’m saying is the server is fine. A support request won’t really change that. The route between some people and the server is bad. Do a tracert and talk to your ISP about it.

2 Likes

I’m not saying support should/could do anything with the servers to help, I’m just saying they should contact support for assistance as to what they might be able to do on their end at home to remedy the issue…if possible. If it’s their ISP or they can’t change their firewall, there may be nothing that can be done. Some people need someone to walk them through the steps to check their modem, firewall, bad ISP connection, etc. I have no issues getting to Alcyon or the other planets…I have a base on Alcyon even :wink:

2 Likes

We just get told by Boundless, “It’s not us it’s you,” and my ISP says it’s not them. Configured some settings etc. which has no effect since the bottleneck isn’t Comcast or Boundless.

Not interested in paying for a VPN just to run one game. Cheaper to just find ways around Eu servers or reach my destination at 10:00AM so I can play at 8PM.

It’s not a problem that is ever going to be solved since nobody owns it.

It’s a little more complicated than that. You can only tracert to l3.

The issue is also between AWS and god-knows-who is their ISP and our ISP. Its the server sending data to us. We have no control over this unless you proxy in (to be honest, WS should probably be running country local proxies to control their user experience, but that’s a story for another day).

It’s almost impossible to know where the issue is unless WS decide to call up the AWS team and say, hey you know all that money we are giving you? Well… our users in the states are getting packet loss several times a week, help us fix it.

4 Likes

You can empirically prove it’s them though. A tracert shows that the latency bump is not within amazon’s IP addresses. I agree it sucks that you would have to learn how to do that. And it also sucks that the ISP probably wont care even if you do prove it to them, but Wonderstruck can’t really do much to improve that.

3 Likes

Just made a thread asking them to do this heh.

I mean I’m able to play on EU servers during peak US times when everyone is complaining about the EU servers. I think that empirically means it’s not their ISP either, or am I wrong?

1 Like

Nah I don’t expect a solution. Traces get lost somewhere along the coast so it’s not Comcast or Boundless. So that’s why my solution is just to avoid 40% of the game’s content every evening. Base is still on Lamblis, so I just do all my base stuff in the mornings.

Nah, it’s more complicated then that. That just means that whatever route you are using is fine. There are thousands of different routes out of that particular server. So something that AWS uses to send data to Comcast and ATT is broken. Honestly smart money says that it’s probably not our ISPs fault. It’s pretty bad too cause those are 2 of the biggest providers in the states.

I should also note that we are saying server. In my tests the issue affects all EU servers, cause they are all hosted in Germany.

Just my two cents worth. Im from AUS and generally for me every evening I have severe “unplayable” lag on the EU servers I go through to get to T5 and T6, I try to do my mining on the US high tier planets as I dont get it half as bad on them. To me this squashes the distance argument (US further away from me than EU). For a game to just freeze effectively for minutes at a time is disturbing and ruins player experience. By far and away most noticeable on Finata and Lamblis, but then they are two of the hubs I visit more regularly.

I would be willing to put a portal to a T6 on an US server for everyone, but I’d need help with the oort. It’s not something I generally have much of. I could put it on one of three planets: Merika, Biitula, or Gyosha.

Also, I’d need to know if everyone preferred Shedu or Alcyon.

You don’t say!

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

I know why they have servers around the world, the sad part is tho that with how Boundless works it doesn’t help one bit. There are planets we want to visit that aren’t on local servers no matter in what region you are which is a bit of a problem.

Honestly, I really do not have all that many issues with the other regions (am in EU) but I kinda believe it has something to do with internet providers and their routing in other regions that is causing part of the problem.

The biggest problem of course is the fact that the planets are only on 1 single server in 1 specific region, the real solution would be when WS comes up with a nice way where planets aren’t bound to a specific region. If that is at all feasable, I don’t know…

Wow, selfish much?

Currently there are more players online in EU than in the 2 US regions combined…

So perhaps they should just host all the planets on EU servers??? They are an European company after all…

1 Like

It’s a MMO folks. Worldwide. Like all the other MMOs.

I thought they said there were 4ish planets sharing each server.

Sure, thru VM’s (virtual machines) which are used pretty much everywhere these days that is indeed rather sensible. Still, those 4 planets on the same server are still in the same region…

1 Like

Gloom Conglomerated has also experienced some difficulty with Finata. As our current primary extraction source for Chronons, we’ve noticing a significant drag on our Chronal Pipeline. The siphoning of time energy is used to fuel our totem creation machines, which in turn we burn to maintain the temperature in our Regional HQ at essentially no cost. Therefor we are also very troubled by the current issues with the Finata Chronosphere.

We are currently assessing the option of extending our Chronal Pipeline to another planet. Perhaps Grovidias Te.

From EU i’m fine connecting to everywhere except down under. That’s always 100 ping higher and it gets real skippy…but that’s a problem been with me for as long as I’ve gamed. Weird place.

1 Like