Forge Beginner

Pastes can provide various buffs/effects for your gear.

Fate paste affects the sliders, making them land more favorably for you.

To explain this better…
When you are forging an item, and you add points, whether they are boon, quirk, or defect points, there’s a slider for each of these. The slider will then bounce back and forth for each effect. If it lands on the filled area, you’ll gain that many points, into an existing, or new, effect. Max of three effects for boon, quirk, or defect.

So for Boon, you’d want the slider to land as high as possible, in the filled area. For Quirk/Defect, you’d want the slider to land in the empty area. Fate buff improves your chances of this.

There’s several pastes. A favorite of mine is Gambling Paste 2 and Invigoration Paste 2. The first gives you a chance to not lose stability. This means you can do more forging. The second regains you 50 Vigour. This can allow you to use more effects on the item you are forging.

As to explaining this somewhere and you missing it, I don’t think so. The first forge you do, with the wood hammer, doesn’t do a good job explaining.

Jiivita’s guide on youtube helped me with the basics. Anyone wondering about basic stuff might benefit from it as well.

3 Likes

Just keep in mind that video is a little old. We’re currently on v 211. Quirks have undergone major changes since the video was made, along with other various forge changes.

1 Like

I put in 2 x Special Gum, then about 7 x Imperfect Boon Compound 2 and then a Setting Resin. I got the Energy Drain early and it kept “hitting”, unfortunately.

Anyway. A result! Thank you @PsychoIntent. I think I was getting too bogged down in the catalysts and stuff.

Edit: might be the Autoloot bit is another special? But i can experiment now.
Edit Edit: nope Attraction is Autoloot :slight_smile:

Mind specifying what’s changed so ppl know what to adapt? The basics seem to be the same.

Normal concept for Autoloot is you just hold it in offhand, not actually use it, so Energy Drain shouldn’t matter. Light radius and attraction is what you want on a loot wand. Looking good!

@Mayumichi Can’t watch the video tonight, but like I said, Quirks underwent major changes in patch 209. Some Compounds were also adjusted. The full patches notes are at Release 209: LED Blocks, Forge++, and Oortmas!

I’m wondering if what the tool or weapons is made of can be a factor. The OP mentioned using a wooden tool. I would think that with such a weak tool there would be no chance of making it better.
The higher the quality of the tool, from wood to stone to iron to sliver to gold to titanium to gems; wouldn’t that help to have a better chance of getting what you want?.
As expensive as some of these pastes, oils and whatever is needed, I personally wouldn’t want to use it on anything less than a gold tool, but I know very little about any of this; I haven’t started to forge yet either.

A stone chisel and an iron chisel both give me the same Vigour, Stability and Effectiveness.

There’s a chance you lose the item.

It appears it takes the same ingredients to forge a stone tool as a titan one, and as the forge ingredients can cost a lot, maybe it’s all down to cost/benefit?

Thanks for the reply, that is what I want to do, see all aspects of it, with my going is silver tools and weapons better than iron, is good better than silver and so I should skip the silver tools as they wear out faster? They do the job faster, but does the wearing out make them equal so go with just cost?
Those are the same type of questions I will be having with forging; which way is best.

Wooden tools have high flexibility, meaning they get higher effectiveness in the forge.

Practice on iron & silver tools for now, just using low end forging mats. This is how I learnt to forge, and I was in exactly the same position as you a couple of months ago. I now have an alt with max forge abilities and max power on my forge. I can now create 320+ (item rating) hammers, slingbows, fists etc almost every time.

More than happy to chat to you on a headset this weekend and talk you through how to do it.

Just to add though, the mats for high end forging start to get quite expensive. The way I sustain this is to solo meteors on T6 world’s (I can handle up to L3 on my own).
So having a solid hunter skillset is also needed.

Thanks. Mats aren’t too much of a problem. A few organised hunts helps there.
In fact the main reason I looked at forging was:

1. I’d like to save money by forging my own stuff
  2. I’ve 40 Hopper Cores and over a 100 of other trophies (no feathers) that don’t sell. So may as well try them out :slight_smile:

I was seeing 71 Effectiveness for both stone and iron chisels. Could be different as I get more points; or, maybe certain tiers of tools are treated similar; or, most likely, I missed something else :slight_smile:

You will get up to 200, as your skills + power increase

Yeah stone and iron are the same, wood isn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re a lot better off using higher level tools that you plan to break. A glowy collector wand can be anything because durability will never drain. I’m there aren’t enough tiers for forge ingredients. At the start it’s best to grow and collect as much as possible, gaining all six powered machines and having forging good equipment a near endgame activity. Once you finally get your forge powered along with everything else, you should also have a decent amount of materials to give yourself a starter kit of nice forge ingredients. Just read everything along the way.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m in the process of doing … I’ve given the forge a go every now and then but it still just resembles a one armed bandit with a roulette wheel thrown in :rofl: for the most part it just sits in the corner of the workshop … eventually I hope if I keep coming back to it I’ll gradually understand what I’m supposed to be doing… no rush

1 Like

So, I think everyone could make a loot stick … thanks all. Reverse engineering @PsychoIntent’s advice.

This is my second skill-sheet for this character so it only has 20 points to spend. these were spent:

• 3 Vitality - gives Stability - more rounds
  • 3 Power - gives Vigour - more effects
  • 3 Intelligence - gives Effectiveness - more % of effect applied
  • 3 Attributes - bit of everything
  • 3 Forge Ingredrient (I’ll need it eventually)
  • 5 Forging Epic

If I was going to start forging at this low level I should probably have spent the Attributes points in the other 3 and maybe didn’t need all 3 ingredients points yet.

Using this spreadsheet:

I can see that the “Boon” I want is Drop Collector. In the next column it says Special Gum. So I made some of those as they increase the chance of that effect.

I need a Setting Resin to finish the forge off.

I need some sort of Boon Compound to apply Boons

As a lootstick is not used just held, the negative effects (Defects) and alternative effects (Quirks) aren’t so important. Different qualities and levels of Boon Compounds cause different amounts of Boons, Quirks and Defects. So as advised, the Imperfect Boon 2 seems a good place to start - not too expensive, a bit of Defect.

I placed my stone chisel and the materials in the forge.

I applied 2 rounds of Special Gum to increase the odds of the effect I wanted. This cost Stability. If Stability drops to 0 the item breaks.

I applied Imperfect Boon 2 for 7 rounds. I actually got 2m Magnet very early on but I pushed it for more and got a defect, so I pushed on the get something more positive and got the light and another 2m Magnetic range. Applying Boon Compound cost Vitality and Stability. Because my effectiveness was only 71 I was only applying 71% of the benefit of the Compound each time.

I then used the Setting Resin.

I think that’s it. Correct me if I’m wrong. Really I need to get more points in the main 3 attributes.

Yup looks good for a basic forge. Getting more power will help a lot too. I also prefer unstable compound over imperfect for a beginner compound because i think it only applies quirk or applies less defect than imperfect compound. I could be wrong though, havent used it in a while

You’re right:

Pure Boon Compound 1 - 100 Boon
Imperfect Boon Compound 1 - 200 Boon, 80 Defect
Unstable Boon Compound 1 - 200 Boon, 50 Defect, 100 Quirk