Forge Beginner

Yeah stone and iron are the same, wood isn’t.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re a lot better off using higher level tools that you plan to break. A glowy collector wand can be anything because durability will never drain. I’m there aren’t enough tiers for forge ingredients. At the start it’s best to grow and collect as much as possible, gaining all six powered machines and having forging good equipment a near endgame activity. Once you finally get your forge powered along with everything else, you should also have a decent amount of materials to give yourself a starter kit of nice forge ingredients. Just read everything along the way.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m in the process of doing … I’ve given the forge a go every now and then but it still just resembles a one armed bandit with a roulette wheel thrown in :rofl: for the most part it just sits in the corner of the workshop … eventually I hope if I keep coming back to it I’ll gradually understand what I’m supposed to be doing… no rush

1 Like

So, I think everyone could make a loot stick … thanks all. Reverse engineering @PsychoIntent’s advice.

This is my second skill-sheet for this character so it only has 20 points to spend. these were spent:

• 3 Vitality - gives Stability - more rounds
  • 3 Power - gives Vigour - more effects
  • 3 Intelligence - gives Effectiveness - more % of effect applied
  • 3 Attributes - bit of everything
  • 3 Forge Ingredrient (I’ll need it eventually)
  • 5 Forging Epic

If I was going to start forging at this low level I should probably have spent the Attributes points in the other 3 and maybe didn’t need all 3 ingredients points yet.

Using this spreadsheet:

I can see that the “Boon” I want is Drop Collector. In the next column it says Special Gum. So I made some of those as they increase the chance of that effect.

I need a Setting Resin to finish the forge off.

I need some sort of Boon Compound to apply Boons

As a lootstick is not used just held, the negative effects (Defects) and alternative effects (Quirks) aren’t so important. Different qualities and levels of Boon Compounds cause different amounts of Boons, Quirks and Defects. So as advised, the Imperfect Boon 2 seems a good place to start - not too expensive, a bit of Defect.

I placed my stone chisel and the materials in the forge.

I applied 2 rounds of Special Gum to increase the odds of the effect I wanted. This cost Stability. If Stability drops to 0 the item breaks.

I applied Imperfect Boon 2 for 7 rounds. I actually got 2m Magnet very early on but I pushed it for more and got a defect, so I pushed on the get something more positive and got the light and another 2m Magnetic range. Applying Boon Compound cost Vitality and Stability. Because my effectiveness was only 71 I was only applying 71% of the benefit of the Compound each time.

I then used the Setting Resin.

I think that’s it. Correct me if I’m wrong. Really I need to get more points in the main 3 attributes.

Yup looks good for a basic forge. Getting more power will help a lot too. I also prefer unstable compound over imperfect for a beginner compound because i think it only applies quirk or applies less defect than imperfect compound. I could be wrong though, havent used it in a while

You’re right:

Pure Boon Compound 1 - 100 Boon
Imperfect Boon Compound 1 - 200 Boon, 80 Defect
Unstable Boon Compound 1 - 200 Boon, 50 Defect, 100 Quirk

Oh Power Coil Power - not skill Power. What does the Power Coil add to the Centraforge? It’s not in any tooltips. The tooltip says it’s a Power source that adds Power with a Power Beam - duh - helpful.

It will increase your effectiveness up to 200% if you have enough power. So basically more power=more boon points added each roll

1 Like

The reason I suggest Imperfect Boon over Unstable Boon for the loot stick is because Defects are less impactful than Quirks for it.

Damage, durability, action speed don’t matter because you aren’t using the loot stick, just holding it.

Things like That Sinking Feeling, Ravenous, One Jump Ahead, etc, may not be things you want on an item that you plan to always have equipped.

But, once you’re used to the early forging with gums and low level compounds, you can experiment with different compounds, catalysts, etc to learn what you like best.

1 Like

Very true, i should’ve mentioned that in my earlier post. Once you get into making tools though i would use the unstable over imperfect as the defect on a tool is worse than a quirk. (Unless you get bouncy feet)

1 Like

Also, @Marrs, if you have the Cubits to spare, it may be worth just making a second character for forging. By level 17, you’ll have all the skill points you need:

8 Vitality
8 Power
8 Intelligence
5 Attributes
5 Forging Epic

Then just have that character do nothing but forging.

1 Like

May take you up on that later on. Right now, I’m getting stuff ready. With the metals that I got in a trade and in another trade gems I was able to make some of the advanced coils. Bought the ones I didn’t have and now have 1,500 power for all of my machines, including a centraforge.
My son and I went to Boori yesterday and oh, my LOL We took on three meteorites and critters here and there. Main goal was to get the mushrooms, staffs and boulders for decoration; some for me and some I hope to sell. And some for the items I can get from busting them.
Have two cuttletrunk trophies and a hopper core, lots of other items needed for making things, milk glands, sweet beans. Plenty of goodies. Close to 30 ortstones. meteorites and roadrunners.
Took points from various skills to increase my skills and protection and did okay. Hording my silver tools and weapons from a trade for special trips and I think I should have used them on this one.

1 Like

This is exactly how I feel. Only mine has a layer of dust 12" deep on it.

1 Like

Shameless self plug but this might be useful for you. This post actually made me polish the sheet so more people can benefit from it.

1 Like

Dayem. No wonder my Hopper Cores aren’t selling :wink: