Forging Balance Changes on Testing

Well you gave a good option yourself bringing the other things up like they plan to is a great start. But taking more away and making more things useless isnt. I agree that people should be able to forge at all levels to make the grind a bit better. I like some of the ideas they had that make it more accessible to people. That doesnt mean they need to shove negative weapon effects down our throats. I dont want a weapon that’s stronger in the day and weaker at night etc. Tell me how that’s going to be any better when the new stuff comes out? How it’s going to be anymore balanced? How your finally going to be able to have weapons without ■■■■ quirks or defects on them reliably?

Yes obviously. You must think your funny. I’m simply saying it doesnt need more rng as far as that comment was concerned

From the sounds of the people on this thread, you wont have them shoved down your throat. You are taking the most cynical tack possible on this. Why? And how it’s going to be more balanced is self evident. These 3x3 hammers that carve up the hardest worlds either won’t exist or they won’t be so easy to make/common. If you ever played RE4, these 3x3 hammers are the Tommy Gun (more generally, if you ever played a game where once you beat it you get a weapon with like a billion damage and infinite ammo that trivializes the entire game). RE4 is a great game, but the tommy gun is fun for about 10 minutes, and then you realize that it takes away everything that made RE4 fun (at least it did for me).

Edit: So, how, then, do we bring everything else up to this level and have a game that is balanced for all occupations and has a functioning economy? Obviously I don’t expect you to have all the details worked out, but broad strokes how would you do it?

1 Like

That’s just an example of a hammer. If you’re mining, why wouldn’t you be at full health and full food? And again, it’s way easy to forge without even getting any quirks. With the 200% effectiveness, you can use a Pure Boon Compound 3 and get 800 boon points, which is plenty, and not ever even see a quirk. Seriously, go test this stuff out before complaining about things you obviously don’t have a clue. I’ve been on the testing server for a few hours now testing out new ways to forge, and there I have mulitple forges filled up with lots of gear that is just as good if not better than the stuff I’m able to forge on live.

1 Like

So, do you have any ideas about how you would balance the game, or are you just going to screech about how unfair it is? If so, there is the “What turns you off of playing Boundless” thread.

Here you go: Forging process - speed it up! Now without ESC! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Both of these things are extremely easy to avoid.

Use a grapple when you mine straight down.

Don’t destroy blocks directly in front of you, put a few points in control.

“Stop being an ass” from the person on here making an ass of themselves with an “opinion” based purely on speculation and no actual experience. I’m not sure you actually even play the game if you can lose your health while mining and not have any way to get it back. There are a million ways to not be full health, but there are loads of ways to get back to it once you’ve lost it. Get outta here with your “opinion.”

Keep this topic on track and cut out the name calling please. Agree to disagree if you come to an impasse and move on.

2 Likes

I never said I couldn’t get it back did I? I just prefer to use as little resources as possible considering doing everything in the game on your own is very time consuming

This is weird.

They give us the tools to make even more powerful weapons/tools, 3x3 +Dmg +Dura +Spd(when in good health).

Valid concern.
After reading your comment and testing, the added speed doesn’t go away until after you are less than 55% health. So you could take a lava hit, or fall on the way down, and you might still have the speed buff.

2 Likes

another thing to consider - for example carpe noctem/diem quirks…
It’s quite common for hunters to carry 2 complimentary slings, and this works really well especially in mixed elemental waves. Similarly, if forging moves to live in the current state it’s in on testing, there would be great advantage in taking tools with quirks that have complimentary pairs.

Use your day hammer until the sun sets, then simply roll one over to your night slugger.
Your miner has 10 thumbs and seems a bit clunky hitting every branch on the way down? a single “low health” tool might be a useful spare tyre to use until those prime steaks kick in.

I Love how many more options we now have - I am quite interested to find out from people who don’t like the testing situation what exactly they find to be “a nerf” from the proposed changes?

I’m not fully on board with the 200% efficiency across the board, I think it’s awesome for low end tools (effectively makes your compounds cheaper / stronger) but I feel that high end tools need to have at least a reason to consider any of the 1k boon compounds without wasting such a significant portion of it.

5 Likes

I don’t think it is. Try putting a topaz hammer in, that is 165% inless i failed to do something obvious.

There are caps and 200 is the high cap for titanium and everything below but diamond/emerald is 181 and the others are lower so no you aren’t doing anything wrong… that or I’m doing something wrong

and this part is a little confusing

2 Likes

Thank you for testing it and letting me know. I really appreciate that and you informing people vs talking down to others for their concerns and opinions. I still think it’s ridiculous though that your health or food level would have anything to do with your weapon effectiveness.

I’m getting 200% effectiveness with diamond hammers with 7200 power and max Int. Haven’t really tried many other tools, just been fiddling around with ingredients to see what kind of boons/quirks I can get. And so far I’ve been consistently making AoE T6 one-hitters with extra durability with no quirks or quirks that are actually a benefit. My deck is Longevity Gum, Effect Gum, Special Gum, Stabilisation Paste 2 (Protection Paste 2 works here as well), Fate Paste 2, Draining Boon Compound 1 (NOT 2, unless you’re specifically trying to get quirks), Vigour Catalyst 2, Boon Transmute Solvent, Quirk Transmute Solvent, and Setting Resin. If you are familiar with the mechanics, you can use those ingredients to get some pretty sweet tools. I love the new quirk system, it makes great tools even more awesome if you can manipulate the quirks into getting what you want. Sure, I occasionally get unlucky and get a quirk that isn’t all that great (the ravenous and low health ones in particular), but that’s standard process for forging now anyways. Occasionally, your rolls aren’t going to be that great and you’re going to end up with a subpar outcome. That’s just the inherent RNG of the system.

2 Likes

I was just getting ready to type this…

1 Like

yeah I stand corrected, I didnt mean EVERYTHING but that is what i wrote hehe. Hyperbole abounds!

I mean, if gems could be boosted to around 120-130%, with the idea that you’d need a maxed setup to reach full efficiency (100%) on future items like blink rift and dark, then I’d be cool with it…

At the moment, getting 200% on *most items and 165% on topaz is basically equivalent to changing that wood through to diamond all still get 100% but the balanced / fast gems go down to 90% and 80%…

I just think that slightly misses the point of promoting earlier forging / low tool forging, as there is still no measureable difference between forging say a stone hammer and a titanium one. I suppose the balance is not directed at max setups - so a character with lesser stats and an unpowered forge will likely see a much larger difference between tool types.

Thanx, had to type a bit for the brain to get through that one :wink:

Thank you for sharing. I will be seeing what I can do with that setup. However on a practical level I would need to see if I can find a way to do it with out the boon transmute.

1 Like