Forging Balance Changes on Testing

Unfortunately, I don’t have that kind of fine control. I really don’t want to have to lock the thread (albeit temporarily), but if I’m forced to, I see it as a better alternative to letting the auto-mod kick in and do it anyway.

I agree. Let’s all try and help to keep it on track from now on.

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 10 hours due to a large number of community flags.

sigh
We were doing so well…
[Turns “days since last automod” calendar back to 0]

8 Likes

While I feel the changes are positive, there are are a few issues I feel should be addressed.

First, are some of the quirk changes. All of them are changed for the better, but a few are still too flawed to be considered viable;
Wonky Trigger - Regardless of the additional durability, this one takes away control from the player and is even dangerous to the player under many circumstances. This one is far too flawed to be a quirk. It should be moved to defects or removed altogether.
Nutritionally Challenged - Again, there are too many drawbacks to this even with the boost for it to be anything but a defect considering the energy/hunger issues mining already has.
Bleeding Edge - This one is even worse than the others. Health damage just from holding an item, let alone using it, can only be considered a defect in any form. This is not even close to being a real quirk.
Aggravated Attacks - Not sure if this one still exists as a quirk, but if it does, it also is a defect.

Second is Efficiency; is it capped at 200 now? Or will it get higher? Having 300 or higher for the lower tier tools would make forging them far more viable and cost effective. This would be a good thing, imo.

Finally, what is the intended max potential of forging items and how necessary for higher tier worlds? It seems like forged gem tools are now a must for effective mining and some gathering on tier 6 worlds due to the high armor and health of blocks. This makes me wonder at how much more difficult it will be on tier 7 or 8 worlds if/when they drop.

1 Like

Where in this hazardous workplace, that follows absolutely no OSHA guidelines, can I find this calendar?

2 Likes

On paper I’d agree that the first 3 quirks seems like defects, but I’d like to know if you’ve used any tools with them on? The quirks seem to be now [negative impuct] but [positive] if [condition].

I made a sweet axe but it had bleeding edge… I decided “meh, lets try it out”. Turns out it eats 10 helath every 5s. If i kept my character full up, I regenerate 20hp every 5 seconds… So basically this quirk will now give you 30% health IF you keep yourself in a regenerating state (regen epic included at any hunger level). that’s pointless for a hammer, but nice for a gatherer to survive random 1-shots and better for a hunter with a full belly.

Similarly, if you use well fed foods with a nutritionally challenged tol, you score 30%free stamina.
also, Aggrevaated attacks is awesome for anyone running the rage epic and wanting to get shot at.

Wonky trigger - I havent played with it, so can only comment on the paper-based description… But I’ve seen people stripmining. There isn’t a lot of standing around looking at the scenery, it’s mostly just holding down bash and running. In this case, an accidental extra hit is basically just a free swing where you get 400 extra durability (which when running the dura epic or a persisting loaf means +570 hits, epic + loaf = 1000 hits, epic + pie = 1333 extra hits!) - quite handy. it does mean switching off your tool when not actively using it though.

Edit - to work out extra hit under persisting conditions: epic or loaf alone reduces durability by 30%.
that means 70% (100-30, 0.7) of hits decrease durability.
Total hits gained = extra durability / [ (100-dura modifier)/100 ].
also see here and this for more on durability

3 Likes

As someone who really wanted to play around with forging, was always put off by the ingredients. Spitter Eyes were a royal pain in the rear.

When playing with the forge, the results were always so bad compared to the costs involved that it was a deflating experience.

While the system was / is something that takes practice to ‘master’ , I was just never that willing to pay that price to master it by losing perfectly good hammers and perfectly good [high value] shop selling ingredients.

I am on ps4 so cannot test but the changes look good from a newbie point of view and I will definately be keen to try forging again. Looking forward to seing this in live

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 10 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Be gone, bot!

4 Likes

Your view of the quirk mechanics is educational and positive inspiring.
Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you.

As an absolute newb to forging, I decided I wanted a block changing chisel. The iron chisel is a super low value item I could lose without worries and was something I could use to try to learn what the hell it was I was seeing on the screen.

I had 10 chisels

I was using special gum , unstable 1 [pure boon was too costly with the spitter eyes] and my setting resin. I figured I didn’t need anything more than this.

My character has epic forge skill and is missing 4-5 points [I think] from the top bar of stats that mention úsed in centraforge’ I also had 2 x advanced power coils on the centraforge [still to this day have no idea what the coils actually do on the forge tbh]

1st chisel - I added 2 gum firstly and got magnet, light and then the changing bonus

I figured this was pretty easy

I never saw the changing bonus on any of the other 9 chisels

For chisel 3 I did 3 special gum, then next it was 4 then 5 going up and up and up because I had no idea what it was that was causing me to not get the changing buff. It came on the 1st chisel with 2 special gums - was I just incredibly lucky

Numbers would help to see possibly why I only ever saw it once.

As an end to the story. If I could not even forge a stupid chisel, there was absolutely no way I was putting anything else in to that machine and wasting both items and forge mats.

I am hopping the new changes will improve things and I am looking forward to trying again. As it is, it’s a completely waste of space machine to me at the moment

1 Like

Updated the OP for those jumping into the convo fresh today

10 Likes

Lol, i do loopholes. I find it fascinating working around issues. I’ve played over 1800h, and the richest I’ve ever been was on payday when i finished the bunny (wasnt even half a millionaire hehe). I’ve considered myself as being “done” with the game for most of my hours played, despite not owning a planet, not having fully coiled setups or having a cash pool to swim in.

My joy comes 85% from finding new ways of getting things done with every patch (yes, nerf patches need love too). I also cant see this slowing down in the near future as every change makes me happy looking for holes/ better ways

3 Likes

Oooh on the speed up issue, just a thought, but would it be possible to have a “fast roll” tickbox on the forge ui itself? When selected, all animations (compound “waves”, sliders filling and markers jumping, buffs activating) initiate and play through at the same time… this should cut down round time to like 5s, allow people who know what they’re doing to keep an eye on the part they are interested in, and not flush weeks of art department work all at the same time :blush:

2 Likes

Higher end tools should benefit from higher effectiveness and hit the cap also provided it requires more of the skills and coils to reach it unlike lower level tools as they are meant to be higher end forging thus this is where more skills and coils comes into play.

We understand that you feel lower level gear should be forged also but only letting them hit it while more expensive and useful tools cannot makes no gameplay sense and if anything that should be the opposite really as forging higher level tools is usually done with higher level boons unlike weaker tools because of the expense thus they need more boon points to be able to do it.

The only issue will be the compounds that exceed 500 points and with the extra effectiveness it will exceed the 1,000 points for a full bar and the extra being wasted but those that have that in this version have too many negatives for end game forging right now and will be something people who do not have the skills and coils will want to use for the extra points.

The only reason to lower effectiveness on gem tools is to force people to use more and more compounds that add quirks for late level forging and with no way to really control what ones we get right now and with vigor regen being killed off so much even if we wanted quirks on tools this would just make it that much worse for people who are at this level.

You need to understand people who forge already have to deal with a lot of RNG on the forge and that’s a serious issue already and making it even worse with either a ton of random quirks or low effectiveness on higher end tools makes no sense when these drawbacks are how all other games handle early level crafting as the ingredients of crafting are lower and the equipment / skill set is also lower for these lower levels but they are punished for these advantages with weaker stats and such drawbacks.

You cannot make ingredient costs high and make forging such a mess for end game tools without removing it for people who are at this level unless we get a lot more changes with this update to make it worth while.

As for the different flexibility between gem tools it’s just going to get people to focus on the top ones again if it means they can forge them better as we saw when diamond hammer was really the only one used before the stats on the others got adjusted so making them balanced will encourage them all to be used more often even if that’s still not the case right now for a lot of the tools.

Absolutely as we either have people just closing the forge when they start one and then opening it back up or editing the game files to do it and that always feels a bit risky for multiplayer games.

2 Likes

Like I said, i was just listing topics raised by other players, do not take that as a “THIS WILL CHANGE”. Please read the lines, not between them :man_facepalming:

6 Likes

Most of the quirks don’t do much, if anything, negative when mining.

Sinking Feeling: Doesn’t matter on a mining hammer.
Full Health: Doesn’t give negative effect until you are below 55% Health. Other than that, it adds Swing Speed.
Fully Filled: Activates negative effect only when max energy below 60%, reduces energy when 60-100% Full
Icy Ground: Doesn’t matter when mining
Auto Jump: Is annoying, but doesnt really affect when mining.
Slo-Mo: No effect when mining
Bleeding Edge: No effect when mining
Bouncy Feet: No effect when mining
Wonky trigger: No effect when mining, as you are constantly swinging anyway. Is actually desired, for a free extra 400 durability
Random Noise: No effect when mining

Small effect Quirks:
Carpe Night/Day: These are negated by the Forger. If you normally stop at lvl8 +dmg, just take it to lvl9 to negate the debuff. otherwise, avoid these 2

Bad Quirks to avoid:
-Nutritionally challenged
-Ravenous: the one that debuffs (adds energy use) when full
-Poor Health: The one that debuffs action speed when full health

If you add a Quirk Transmute to your deck, then you can always turn a bad quirk into a good (or no effect) one.

This is just when it comes to mining hammers. When it comes to Item changers or loot magnets, none of the quirks really matter

Of course weapons/grapples are another story. I havent messed with those, other than making a prank Grapple, with Wonky Trigger and Hookshot… LOL!! =P

3 Likes

100% put some sort of armor/protection to rolling same boon/quirk/defect.

I strongly suggest keeping max effectiveness on tools, since it should take 7200 power to attain, which is alot of coils, alot of gathering. It’s something you need to be “late game” or exceptionally skilled to attain as a progression player. (if someone hands you everything you need devs can’t, and shouldn’t, attempt to balance that kind of game play) but possibly changing the different gems to have more in line effectiveness.

Defect points reduced would make me use more of the defect containing compounds at least to test. And if they remain cheap they become a good intro option forge wise.

Animation skipping/speedup would be a lovely quality of life addition. But If it takes time from other things I’m more than happy to use tricks or just wait through animations for a bit longer for them to stay in que and not push something else back.

All in all the forging changes are great, they give alot more control to the forger and enable us to have a goal (set of boons) and a kind of lucky win (quirks we like or that synergize with the boons) if the goal was for forged gear that’s amazing to also have quirks I can garuntee that all my best tools will have quirks on them. Even if others don’t like them I love the changes and want so many quirky tools!

2 Likes