Forum and Punishment

Help me understand something here.

Why is it that I often see whole threads being locked, either by a player

or by the system

Now i do understand there are some topics that are just bad on all accounts, but i am not talking about them. I am talking about threads that are derailed by rotten eggs and ████████s. Why are we punishing everyone involved and not just the players who are creating a problem? Prevent people from posting for a day, or ban them if they are repeat offenders.

“Putting this one on time out for awhile untill you can at least be civil to each other” Why aren’t we just punishing the people who are causing the problem?

4 Likes

I dunno. Banning Jiro is kinda severe :slight_smile:

Honestly, the quality of discussion has gone downhill and filled with dramatization, massive hyperbole, and constant armchair game development. Locking the thread isn’t the worst idea in the world. I kinda miss the more peaceful forum we had several months ago :frowning:

5 Likes

I dont think that fixes the problem. It interrupts what might be a perfectly ok post if it was not for the derailment, and the people who created the problem can go somewhere else and make more problems. Which is why I feel the player needs to be punished, not the whole topic, inless the topic by the OP was just bad on all accounts.

2 Likes

Stricter mods and more frequent policing only leads to a police state forum with tensions boiling just below the surface. Additionally, leaders like @Stretchious and myself simply lack the tools to be more selective with our mod actions. When we require a scalpel to delicately cut cancer out, we have only a cudgle to shut down an entire thread. Community managers want to refrain from permanent bans because these are also paying customers. And trust me, suspensions and temp bans are being utilized by the community managers.
The only way these forums will have a chance to return to a more peaceful state is when the users start to respect each other again. Respect the leaders who try to guide a thread back on track. Respect the community managers who step in when drastic actions are taken, and respect the developers who are working hard to bring us a game we can all love. Most importantly, respect each other.
Don’t make more work for leaders and CMs by trying to out insult someone who was rude to you first.
Edit:

Because, due to a lack of mutual reapect, often times if we “punished” all guilty parties in these threads, there would be nearly nobody left to post here.

15 Likes

That’s not an excuse to be disrespectful. Period.

10 Likes

@MinerDiggerMan

You’re basically jumping from one thread to the next in order to troll the community and express your anger. There’s a productive way of doing things and an unproductive way. I get that your angry about the game right now. That’s fine. But poisoning each thread and rehashing the same stuff doesn’t solve anything either. You say you’re trying to make the game better but I don’t see how if all you’re doing is constantly trolling each thread with the same issues.

3 Likes

There a difference between criticizing and antagonizing. You’re clearly trying to antagonize the devs and the community

3 Likes

14 Likes

This is the perfect place to practice what I was saying. Y’all be respectful, don’t bicker please.

1 Like

What the hell is going on here?

Why did you just choose to target @Havok40k for literally saying “be respectful”

Then you give instructions on how to break the law and shut down the forums?!

Why is this an acceptable response to his posts? I REALLY don’t know what is happening to these forums. This is not civility.

16 Likes

What doses this have to do with anything? It doesn’t make sense to me at this time. Furthermore since this is ran by a private company, they are allowed to censor anything they want.

4 Likes

I think he has just been waiting for the “I dare you to censor me” drop. You are correct, they can ban and “censor” anyone they see fit. They are allowed to ban users “for any reason, or no reason at all”.

That post clearly violates the Community Guidelines:

“You may not post anything digital that belongs to someone else without permission. You may not post descriptions of, links to, or methods for stealing someone’s intellectual property (software, video, audio, images), or for breaking any other law.”

And I have flagged it as such.

I think it is time we start to clean up these forums on our own, as a community.

8 Likes

Well this is a fine how-do-you-do. I make a topic, asking for information about why whole threads get locked vs punishing the users at fault, and I have this great feeling this thread is about to get locked. Since people are starting to post very questionable content in here now.

1 Like

I don’t know if anyone answered your original question… but back on topic:

Stretchious is a forum moderator.

And the system temporarily locks a thread once it receives enough flags from the community. It’s basically on hold for Moderator review.

2 Likes

I’m not going to remove this post because I want to highlight that it’s incorrect.

The forum software is called Discourse and has nothing to do with Discord. Discourse is an open source forum application and developed by the Discourse team.

We run the software on our own instance.

This has nothing to do with Discord’s TOS.

————

What everyone should realise is that @Havok40k and @Stretchious are helping us moderating the conversation in their own time. They’re doing it (I assume) for the good of the community and game as a whole.

I and I think everyone should be thanking them for simply trying to keep the conversation on track. It’s a surprising hard job. And I think they do it really well.

I will also add that there are many other members of this community who contribute to conversations in a constructive and respectful way. We want passion and ideas and critism but kicking chunks out of each other is generally unhelpful. Which then rapidly derails conversations.

Before @Steggs101 left he encouraged us to clamp down firmly on the forums. Adhering to the rules strictly would annoy some but with the aim of creating an environment that focuses on discussing the game itself.

What do people think?

I’m now reviewing the reports and whereas in the past I was quite lenient to allow conversations to flow without intervention - I’m now going to try applying the rules much more firmly.

31 Likes

I think all the mods/admins are doing a great job.

5 Likes

I get angry when people come to these forums and just start trashing the game. It’s like defending my younger sister… perhaps I respond a little too harshly at times. I will try to do better.

@Psyborg I did not flag your picture, but I can see why it was flagged. It was funny, but It did not add to the conversation. It was only meant to evoke a reaction and perhaps even steer the post towards drama. Please do not be angry that it was flagged. Just realize, that this is an example of how we all need to do better.

This is what we all need to be on the lookout for. We can help @james @Havok40k and @Stretchious by keeping conversations on track. Taking arguments that are off topic to the PM’s. And flagging posts NOT because we disagree, but for legit concerns or violations of the community guidelines.

Hearing those parting words from @Steggs101 only grows the respect. Very wise. I couldn’t agree more with “a clamp down”

lol @Trundamere, I bet you didn’t think this was where your post would end up. Grats, lol

7 Likes

I don’t care if it was flagged or not. It was meant to be funny, but sorry I couldn’t find a better one. Just wanted to post it quick before James’ reply, just in case the topic would get locked. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve been in the gaming forums since '90s and watching dramas arising over trivial or the same issues again and again just makes me shake my head and smile. Those few decades taught me to not take part in such discussions, cause it’s like putting fingers into swinging doors.

3 Likes

It was funny. And I’ll admit, sometimes I read some of the more spicy posts as I eat dinner… because reading the back and forth makes me laugh. It’s entertaining. Sometimes it feels like a Reddit argument meme. I just wish it wasn’t this forum it was happening on.

1 Like

What is all this? It’s 3:17 am, I went to sleep after posting that. I just got up to bio…

I know I just preached about being respectful but… u stoopid.

I don’t have the ability to hide your posts alone. That’s a jury of your peers, judging you.

3 Likes