Glass Overhaul

I would love to see completely clear glass that doesn’t have lines in between. I would also like to see different colors or types of glass.

1 Like

Please search the forums before making more threads about glass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Frameless is bad, because then the glass is just like air.
The engine doesn’t support partial transparency for blocks, so different colours aren’t possible either.
In terms of connected textures, idk.

3 Likes

Water and lava appear to be transparent. Or are they just very foggy? They have more of a surface texture (which looks nice) on the test server, but I didn’t try swimming so I didn’t notice if the transparency has changed.

Water and lava aren’t a “block” though, so they have different rendering techniques for them. And no, it’s not possible to just make a solid, non-flowing water that looks like glass (ice?) It does not work that way either.

It’s due to them not being blocks but, assets, or whatever the proper word was.

They end up chewing more resources to render. Doors merge for example, due to them being assets and not blocks.

The thought about making glass an asset has been brought up. But that would consume so much rendering power, and would probably be set to very restrictive parameters.

1 Like

Entities I think is the term. Basically any non-cubic material from doors to shelves and work benches is an entity, and consumes considerably more resources to render. This is a problem with a block like glass that can often be used thousands of times in a small village or single large build.

1 Like

Yes, that was the word.

Take for instance the use of crucibles, they consume so many resources compared to blocks. And while devs love their usage as decor, they ask that we don’t build with them. As asked to dundedragon I think, one time.

1 Like

I’m going to go ahead and close this one, as there are plenty of other recent conversation about this topic.

3 Likes