Glass panes placed at max alt don’t block snow

i am sure that glass block is blocking snow and weather, but like always if you need snow you dont get it XD

So you’re saying it’s any upper edge, not just max alt? Are you sure? The panes at dktree seem to all block snow, even though some are upper edge and some are lower edge.

Maybe it’s the cross hatched panes that don’t block snow?

Well that’s what you said a few months ago :

And it checks out with my own experience :

The glass panes are aligned with the upper part of the sedimentary bricks you see. It’s beacon limit, I can’t place anything above.
And it does NOT block snow.

BUT with my previous design, the glass panes were on the bottom part of the blocks. I changed the design because I wanted foliage hanging below the glass,but the leaves had a tendency to clip through the glass panes, and the snow would cover partially the foliage, so I had to make a new design where the glass panes would be placed at the upper-part of the block to leave room for the foliage leaves to wiggle.
However, then, the snow was blocked, as far as the ground was concerned. Don’t have screenshots of the previous design, though…

So I REALLY HOPE the devs can fix this for Oortmas 2020 (we’ve had issues with glass panes not blocking snow for more than a year, now), because if they can’t, I’ll likely need to change my design again… because of a bug… which is not great…
I could switch to glass blocks, but I just spent a day making roughly 1500 glass panes of all kind… spent A LOT of ressources on it and I’m generaly dirt poor as a player… so I’m just a tiny wee bit absolutely livid.

Honestly I never though glass panes would ever block weather as they aren’t full blocks. But it does block water flow so it should block weather

I’m starting to think that I’m gonna have to do tests on my creative world with a “snow quirk” tool because it looks like a glass block with its lower half chiseled out doesn’t block snow, but the full glass block does block snow.

@vdragon @james @santaclaus

1 Like

That’s quite an interesting video showing the different ways the snow covers the blocks below.

The following quote is from an older forum post, but I think it still applies (unless @lucadeltodecso wants to add extra input).

Are you saying that the side of the glass that you chisel, or the side of the block you place the pane on, changes the amount of sunlight that comes through enough to trip a “direct daylight” threshold?

I don’t know what the devs can do to fix it or tweak it. I’m not sure I understand the explanation either, but it kinda sounded like the “that’s not a bug, that’s a feature” meme. XD
I mean, at the end of the day, if you can’t use glass panes as roof/ceiling for a room without having the snow effect pass right through it, it’s a bad system and it needs (at least) some tweaking.

If the snow effect was super cool to look at, and not basically just turning the diffuse of a block-texture white-ish while keeping the normal map of the block intact, I wouldn’t be as annoyed.

If I was a dev, I’d say that part of the snow effect should be turned off while something better is being figured out. Keep the snowfall weather effect, though, for sure.
Then, I’d suggest snow could be something like little 3D snow-poffs with no collision, randomly spawning on top of empty blocks when the snowfall effect is in progress. The player could hit the snow-poffs to loot snowballs. With the same logic, you could have little 3D icicle formations spawning below blocks too, and they would drop ice blocks when destroyed.

1 Like