Gleam changed colour after it was refined

Ah man!
I’m a bit annoyed with this.
In the refinery I put 27 Luminous Green and a range of other colours in single blocks to make up to the 36 so I can mass craft it into 50.
According to the queue it says Luminous Green, once it finished it then converted to “White” yes “White”… luckily I recorded this as I was AFK whilst making my dinner.
The Video is up on YouTube and as you can see…

I didn’t want to edit the recording after it had finished, I’m afk for about 3 minutes until I check the finished result.

Edit: I submitted a game log within the game & I haven’t moved the gleam from the machine.

1 Like

it has been like that for a long time (if not since the beginning) if you use more colors, any of them can be the result. I’m not sure about the specific numbers, but having a majority is not a guaranteed way to get that color

2 Likes

Some explanation how the colour is chosen

2 Likes

Yeah, this should be made clear in a text box when you put in multiple colors. I learned the hard way myself during the first gleambow event.

2 Likes

Okay but when they is 27 luminous green & 1 of 9 different colours how does it end up being white?
& why did it say it was going to be luminous green?

2 Likes

Text should be changed for sure, but the behavior of randomizing colors has been like this iirc this is to avoid people using a few rare gleam colors to get a lot more.

3 Likes

I just feel like I’ve been completely con’d by the system. I wasn’t aware that it wouldn’t be the colour it’s saying it’s going to be. You’d expect it to be that said colour.
@james is there anything we can do here?

3 Likes

Yup I made some exo gleam chests, that pretty fuschia colour we got way back, and I used 46 of the fuschia blocks and 2 silk teal and they came out teal :sob:

3 Likes

Ouch. There’s tons of threads and posts on this but people get burned by it all the time.

The icon shows a random color from the mix of available colors. It’s done to stop gaming the system by putting in a few of a certain color and restarting the craft until they get the color they want.

James gives an example like putting in mostly white and one black, then restarting until you get a batch of black refined. I’m pretty sure it’s in the thread @Mayumichi linked.

3 Likes

Yeah but why don’t just add a warning like

“Hey you used multiple colors, output will be a random color”

6 Likes

Ahh, the good old crafting lottery. One of my favourite Boundless mini-games. When you miss out, it sucks… but when you hit, oooh so nice. :rainbow:

2 Likes

Once it is in the queue and states a color that is the color it should be

3 Likes

He mentioned once that it could be changed to give you a percentage of each color close the the ratio of what you added. IMO that would be great.

It’s what I was sort of hoping for the first time I threw a batch of mixed colors in to see what would happen. I got cool blue though lol.

2 Likes

Then it would be nice to have a message explaining that too.

1 Like

Once upon a time, in early access, the gleam batch would turn out the colour of whatever gleam block was first, so you could essentially turn 1 gleam into 50 refined. The current system is an improvement, though I do often long for the old days!

8 Likes

Did this when i made my first batch of Oorty dolls :sweat_smile:

1 Like

But then you all would cancel and resubmit the the job until you got the random result you wanted… lets not kid our self people game the system to their advantage and only care about when it doesnt benefit them.

thankfully the devs already realize this.

6 Likes

The problem is, if the game would show the actual output colour you would cancel and retry until you got what you want, what is the point of randomising if that is then gonna happen?

So either they can change it so that the game refuses to do a masscraft if there’s not enough of one colour or they let the dominant colour be the one it becomes. The latter is unlikely to happen since otherwise they wouldn’t have chosen the random thing in the first place.

1 Like

I always assumed it would be the colour of whichever block you used most of… I guess I’ve never really mixed much and when I did I must have just gotten lucky! This time wasn’t so great lol

4 Likes

what aenea said basically. whats to stop you from putting 1 luminous green gleam and 35 white and just keep restarting the craft till it shows luminous green. I think the ratio is just what you put in. If you used the ratio I mentioned you have 1/36 of the end result being luminous green.

1 Like