Gleam Club fuel restriction for empty plots

With Gleam Club removing necessity of refuelling, it very easy to forget about some one plot beacons. Maybe making glean club working with beacons which has at least 500 prestige would help the issue with single undeveloped beacons fueled forever.

2 Likes

Completely disagree. I’ve paid extra money specifically for this feature. If this was introduced and I had to go around tidying up my outposts I would be very irritated.

I understand the need of some to have tidy, themed, isolated, whatever builds but then that is what private servers will be for. It’d be extremely unprofessional to sell us something then change it later to fudge a fix for a different issue.

2 Likes

Doesn’t have to affect.people who already bought it. Just those who bought it after the change.

I understand where you concerns are but now you create two classes of people. Original Gleam Club and New Gleam Club. I can see all sorts of complaints that if you pay the same money you should get the same perks.

The one nice thing right now is that even if I cannot get to my beacons, due to server issues or real life, I can be sure they are refueled if I merely renew my Gleam Club.

1 Like

I find it hard to believe that it would inconvenience you to have to actually place some blocks down to maintain a minimum prestige value on your outposts.

1 Like

True. On the other hand I know from my own perspective, I have two beacons I’ve laid in the beginning which I really should remove… Just never had time to get there and break them. And I am glean member so those will not run out. Hopefully none are breaking some build…

1 Like

You can find it as hard to believe as you’d like. :slight_smile: I have the privilege of understanding my own time commitments and plans and know what it’d mean to deal with this for me. It’d be irritating, as I said. I have beacons in remote places near resources, ones dotted around for alts to access items, etc. Having to build something in all of these, now, to keep them fuelled completely removes the reason I paid for Gleam Club in the first place - I don’t want to go back to remembering which beacon has what fuel or enough blocks. Also, I may not want to spend resources on them yet. I have several places plotted that I have plans for, but no blocks that are part of the design ready yet. Why should I have to throw up something ugly (because that’s what it’d be) just to meet this arbitrary new requirement?

Like I said, I understand the issue but I don’t think removing/adjusting what myself and presumably others see as the primary benefit of GC is the answer.

These are public worlds. If the plot is unclaimed and I or anyone claims it, that’s the end of that. No-one has any right to impinge on another’s gaming experience given the current rules around plotting and “land” “ownership”. Change that and you change much about the game.

7 Likes

I totally understand, although the issue as I see it, isn’t about your remote outposts, it’s about plots and beacons near towns and cities that go undeveloped, I’d be happy to see the mechanic application for the abandoned plot solution only be for plots within cities and/or close to other plots that are developed. This won’t have any effect on your gleam club purchases or privileges for your random outposts.

Yeah I agree, it’s a shame in a number of ways; it annoys those trying to achieve something beautiful, it can cause animosity, it can cause lots of extra work moving a town, etc.

I would prefer there be some in-game method to voluntarily give up plots. For example, I have a beacon near (I believe now in) Chisel Town. I’m happy to move them if needed. Ideally for me and others who require a little more incentive than neighbourly love I’d like to see something like this introduced:

• Beacons have message boards where you can leave comments and requests. “Nice build!” “We’re expanding, could we talk about using these plots?” etc.
  • Ability to offer coins to beacon owners with a message. “For your portal costs, thank you!” “We’d like to buy your 8 plots at 1000c each for city expansion.”

These kind of assisted interactions where players are encouraged to resolve amicably might be more useful. One could argue that it opens up plot blackmail of a sort but then you can do that already.

5 Likes

This is a really nice idea actually, it is an MMO, and most people are fairly reasonable to deal with. I just think something needs to be done within the game mechanism to handle these issues better and for the future of players yet to play.

1 Like

Hopefully if someone wants them they will contact you and you are probably like me. . unless I really want them, I will make the effort to unplot them and let them have the plots.

I will agree that the minimum prestige is not going to work. 500 prestige is not even a stack of refined blocks. So instead of an empty lot with grass now you have pink rock piles next to your Tudor village. it really does not solve anything.

We start treading on some delicate ground when we talk about other people directly able to affect others in game. Eminent domain??? So I am the warden and we agree to build a beautiful city. One day I decide that I want to expand into your space because you are getting all the footfall and I want it. Bam you are kicked out and all your work is for nothing. You and a group have reserved plots for a build, but have not built it just yet. Someone comes in plots next to you, starts to build so they are the mayor and decides they want some of the plots you reserved, so they use Eminent Domain to take your plots between them and a lake and you are out of luck for your build.

People might not like the game mechanic but it is pretty simple, if you want it plot it. If someone else has plotted something you want then you can negotiate or you have to deal with the fact they were there first. The game supports solo and community builds. I do not think it is wise or fair to sacrifice the individual or the smaller group in favor of a larger group.

If you do not have enough plots why can’t you wait until you do? What is the rush to get everything plotted in the first few weeks of the game?

2 Likes

This won’t solve the issue. Back before GC people would run around and refuel these beacons you talk about and keep them around.

Unused beacons will exist in the game. Some people will stop playing and some of those unused beacons (and used for that matter) will go away.

It is most helpful to change your mindset to the one many of us use - Until those unused beacons go away find spots that aren’t reserved and just enjoy the things…

1 Like

If only we had an easy, in game solution that would make this possible, or even character names tied to your forum account and searchable.

1 Like

Or even an in game mailing service we can use to send polite requests and messages.

It is not easy to forget about which beacons you have because there is a page that lists all of your active and expired beacons.

1 Like

You are correct. A lot of things could be handled more easily with an in game email system. Since the PS4 players do not have to be in the forum, we probably need something in game.

We have asked many times for this… maybe someone could try again in a new thread suggestion, etc.

1 Like

6 months of horridly ugly landscape, I think Gleam Club was a huge mistake. Auto-refueling beacon is going to harm the game and should be removed as an option.

1 Like

The difference is, there’s FAR more players now, and now no limit to the number of horridly ugly 1-plot beacons that disrupt roads or interrupt cities.

Boundless had barely anyone play before. For many months the peak players in a month was 20-30 people… It’s disingenuous to compare how things worked back then, with a super die-hard fanbase of ~20-30 people, and now with over 30x+ the number of people.

There are goin’ to be no shortage of people who place beacons just to screw up other people, especially with the benefit of just placing a beacon near an active portal site because of how obscene the coin costs are for traveling.

Auto-fueling was a really poor design choice.