Goo - I feel bamboozled

I hear there’s a new exo with goo on it. I don’t get excited about it, I’d like to, but I don’t. Why?

You can’t realistically use a goo-ed colour as your main colour in a build, since a single goo kernel will make you only about 4 spray cans in optimal conditions with no mutation. Larger builds have tens of thousands of blocks in them, good luck farming that many pigments.

If you want to mutate the goo, you need the correct colour gleam to be efficient. Some gleam colours are extremely rare gleambow exclusive. When gleambow was active, we were still under the impression that it was the planet atmosphere that does the mutation. Also at this point there was no info that gleam wouldn’t be able to be sprayed.

So some gleam colours came only from a limited time PvP event that wasn’t supposed to interact with this system afaik.

Then they do the lighting rework, making most of my gleam colour choices so dark they can’t be used. And I can’t even fix it since the correct gleam colours don’t spawn on the known worlds and you can’t spray paint gleam.

Oh why didn’t I go after gleambows more, my measly ~100 gleam collection with many single blocks is mostly useless.

Speaking of spraying, the number of blocks that can be sprayed is pretty low, is it just rock and wood based blocks? So soils, gleam, foliage etc are out of luck.

Why is it designed this way, I’d like to hear the logic behind this. Artificial scarcity to make rare colours?

7 Likes

keep in mind that you can mix in some junk pigments as long as you find the right balance to expand the output… but yeah, my current plan is to just try and get some of every color and not worry about mutating anything… hopefully one day i’ll have enough to mix them to a useful end =/

2 Likes

I think I complained about all of these, in some way or another… :man_shrugging: Especially the gleam and the low amounts of spray.

If this is the design intent, then I don’t feel it’s very “Boundless” at all!

In all honesty, I really don’t feel motivated to purposefully go after any goo either now. If I see some, great, I’ll be happy to grab it and try to grow it into different colours. However, for someone like me who mostly just uses rock, then I can just grab more rock from that exo…

At this point it feels like just a thing to do on the side to keep me entertained.

The thing about the amount of blocks in a build is probably my main issue.

For instance, take one of my farming platforms. Each one takes over 1,000 refined rock blocks to build. I have five of these platforms currently, that’s potentially over 5,000 blocks, some of which I might like to tint differently, like the edges/trims; that would probably account for roughly 10-20% of the blocks in each platform…

And indeed, the soil, the mud, the sand! I’d love to be able to tint some brighter colours of soil, despite the nice variety that does exist in-game already.

6 Likes

Yup I remember you bringing up problems with this, I was mainly vocal about the gleam tinting, mentioned the spray amounts in a random post but decided to wait until we have a stable version until I make this post. And here we are.

Even with mixing I don’t think black is achievable without black gleam. Or is it? Other edge colours are harder too. You can get miniscule amounts of another pigment by having luck with rng while mutating to a neighboring colour but that’s it.

@Jiivita Everyone advertises mixing, but that only works when you have a huge stock, and it’ll be harder to mix a specific colour in bulk (thousands) since you’re not likely to have good amounts of all needed pigments.

The most important bit imo is that with the lighting changes, gleam colour is much more important in builds that incorporate dark toned blocks. There are just a few light intensity levels that are bright enough to properly light darker blocks and we don’t have access to all of them. I feel like lighting a build requires more precise palette choice now and we’re severy limited in the gleam colours :confused:

5 Likes

Would it help any if the growth time on goo was reduced to half of what it is now and the max pigment output was increased to 450-500%?

I know this wouldn’t fix all the problems, but it might make tinting a little more accessible.

I don’t see growth time as an issue, the less often I have to check the field the better, if pigments/h is still reasonable. Yield improvement could be used to make aquisition easier, but that wouldn’t fix the gleam side which is the worse offender imo.

4 Likes

I am okay with the times myself, that you can only use 1 spray can on 1 block is what I’m not okay with…

It also makes no sense whatsoever if you think about it, the loading screen on PS4 has a char with a spray can in her hand with a finger on the button but then you realise that that single can only colours ONE block, just makes no sense at all to me thematically…

3 Likes

I think the easiest fix to make goo and pigments more relevant and sought after, would be to increase the amount of blocks sprayable by the goo.

The current 100 goo to 124 blocks makes it near impossible for a builder to use these. Or buy them either. I really think this number should be looked at and reworked to make people have a little more oomf about actually wanting to mess and deal with Goo.

3 Likes

Obviously the other 899 cans in the smart stack are hidden :smiley:

Even the single use of a spray can be offset with the pigment output of an optimised crop. Would 10 pigments be an acceptable yoeld for an optimised crop?

For the lack of gleam colours to mutate with…
Originally the idea behind goo was that the atmosphere type would mutate the colour, but it was removed in favour of the “grow at you own home” option using gleam. Would it be beneficial to have both systems, so if you want to do mass mutations, you still have the option to do so on a different world? Would having both be confusing to people?

1 Like

100 goo can drop around 350 pigments if you optimise.

I mean 100 Goo pigment gets you 124 blocks sprayed.

What happens if you grow it on gleam in a mutation atmosphere? Might be too complicated, not sure :thinking: If we could only spray the gleam, so if you want a colour that you don’t have gleam for yet, you can rng your way to one spray of correct colour and start snowballing from there, like it’s with exotic earthyam seeds atm.

1 Like

Incorrect. It gets you around 350 blocks sprayed. 1 pigment = 1 spray. Add an extra 24% to that if you have a fully coiled pigment processor.

If I remember correctly, the gleam colour would take precedence. Which would mean that you could grow on rock to mutate the colour on a different world, but it might not be right on your doorstep.

That doesn’t actually sound too bad. More options is good imo. Still leaves the lighting changes and how hard it is to fix builds without access to the full colour spectrum foe gleam as a sore point.

What do you mean by if you remember correctly, was there a point when both worked? I only remember them changing mutation one day to be gleam based.

100 Goo Pigment sprays 124 blocks.

1 Like

100 pigments gets you 124 cans which sprays 124 blocks, not sure where you get the 350 number from…

1 Like

Gotcha. I was crossing wires with plain goo. Apologies.

2 Likes

Thematically it’s still weird to have a can of spray paint that you can only use on one block.

2 Likes

It is a very big block

3 Likes