Goo - I feel bamboozled

Not really. We carry thousands of 1x1x1 meter blocks in our loin cloth.

3 Likes

Not sure what that has anything to do with one can only being able to colour one of those thousands of blocks…

We can go round and round about this, but it feels wrong IMO, instead of changing the crop yield why not increase the amount of blocks one spray can colours instead?

4 Likes

Thematically 1 can to 1 block has about the same relevance as my statement.

Either way, they’re too low numbers.

It seriously needs revising to make them more relevant. I get they’re an end game product but even end game players couldn’t afford to buy and make a build in a colour they wish.

2 Likes

Problem with it tho is quite simple.

Increase crop yield or number of blocks, end result is the same, sorta, but with the can increase it feels right, to me, imo, blabla, etc.

I spent a lot of time on testing where some of this was discussed.

In any case, right now, goo is a novelty thing, I grow a few but it’s not what I expected at all, I thought it would be my main farming focus but it’s totally not worth the effort. It’s way, way too much work for a few blocks you can then colour. Something, somewhere, needs to be changed…

7 Likes

You’re right. This is a major issue. Our loin cloth can’t possibly carry that much weight.

We need pants.

10 Likes

We’re not exactly in the realms of realism here, on Boundless. :stuck_out_tongue: Suspension of disbelief is really quite important for a game like this, after all.

I do think that adjusting the end result (the spray can) makes more sense than adjusting the farming side of things – overall, every crop/plant is feeling about right to me so far, in terms of actually farming them…

It would keep things simple, in terms of coherence with other crops, for goo pigment yield from the crop to remain the same, if anything were to be changed. Hence why I believe that changing the can is more appropriate. In any case, that’s just my opinion.

Do still wish anything that has a tint would be tintable by the sprays though. :confused:

3 Likes

The seed % could be raised to 110%. This would allow people to actually run ligament spray stores. Once you have the color you want there is no way to make more other than starting the long process all over again.

Which means when the rare colors people want are made one spray may cost 50k. Come on.

6 Likes

Even upping the seed max to 105% would give people more of a chance to actually mutate goos rather safely, and given that most desirable colors are some derivative of a base color, it’s REALLY hard to mutate currently due to scarcity. Maybe that’s all we’re feeling here?

3 Likes

I’d rather have larger yield than spray more blocks, as a larger yield allows for more mixed colours to be made. I also dont have every colour gleam, but in theory with a large enough stockpile of RGB + white + black pigment I can make any colour i want?

On the topic then, could we thin out the pigment by mixing in some ink?

It was raining when I found out there would be no gleam tinting. That was for the best, as no one could see my tears.

Seriously though, feels like a missed opportunity. I very much hope it is something still up in the air and maybe the devs will come around. Devs, will you come around? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Considering the fact that gleam affects goo mutation, we might have to look toward a different solution for gleam tinting. A new machine, or material that can affect the colors of the different gleams? Maybe?

1 Like

Soo… I have not yet attempted anything in this, but here are a few of my thoughts.

Gleam Color - Some of the colors only available in the Gleambow event have come out in exo planets. The idea is that you are not able to magically obtain every single option available from the get-go, or many would already have everything and all things new would have been experienced within the first couple of days. I am sure eventually ever single gleam color option will come with exos. I also think bringing up the expectation at the time of the gleambow event that “the atmosphere would affect the mutation” is moot. Anything in testing should be expected to change based on what does and does not work as development goes on.

How can the darker colors not be used? I think you should be able to use lighter colors as lighting. Correct me if I am mistaken, but the color being affected is based on what gleam it is planted in, not what color of light is within range? Though re-reading OP, maybe it is meant that the darker color it would make the goo darker colored is unusable?

Again, I have not felt the effect of making spray cans personally, so I cannot speak from experience, but from what I read it would make sense to have a spray can able to spray more than one block and done.

2 Likes

I believe the OP meant that within the context of building. Darker colours emit less light now than they did before, so they don’t work as well on some builds where they previously may have been more than enough to light up a specific location in a certain way.

Edit: And I personally think that having a variance in brightness of gleam is a good thing, creatively speaking; the issue is that you can’t necessarily have the same hue of tint in all brightnesses currently, so you can’t adjust the brightness willy-nilly within the same hue.

As an example, I have Dark Mustard gleam, but I have no Bright Mustard, which can be annoying if I wanted to light up an area using a Mustard type gleam that was brighter.

Correct, in my case silk teal used to light my build up very nicely. Now it looks very dim. I’m likely going to have to change out thousands and thousands of gleam

Yeah makes more sense now :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it is a big miss that soil, foliage and other assets are not allowed beyond wood/rock.

The information I was given in regards to gleam (not direct word for word quote but a good representation) - Gleam was not allowed because it was defined and treated as a special item by the player base. So it became attributed to rare and super unique and special. Due to this gleam was selected as a non-paintable resource because if you could do that then gleam uniqueness would disappear.

Ugh. If that’s the reasoning, it really would have been nice to have an in-game (and possibly email) poll to see how many really feel that way.

2 Likes