GUI: Exciting 3D shenannigans

I’ve been looking at navigation and depth hierarchy for our new GUI layout system.

Here’s some gifs to save me from having to explain it :smile:

When a new element is opened or selected:

Closer up:

Modals show the hierarchy well:

Grid view:

24 Likes

Looks like I have to buy a vive for release (or when it’s supported^^)

1 Like

This isn’t for VR, btw. It’s more about scaling and being a bit more visually interesting.

(I’m sure it could work with VR, but at the moment we have no plans to release Boundless as a VR compatible title. We’ve prototyped some stuff, but releasing the core game as a VR title would be a herculean effort at this point)

3 Likes

So this will be a fixed screen though - the initial state of the gif will be how the screen should look in game?

Look nice - should be very easy to see what is selected / active at any given time.

That safes me some money thanks xD
But still looks good^^

And maybe someday we’ll get a VR version of the game^^

1 Like

Wow! This is amazing. OMG.

My first rough idea seeing this, was to check a menu by click - then the menu arrangement spins to the other side and the next menu unfolds.

1 Like

This looks really good!! Great job!!
Keep it up!

@ben Is this ingame look or only a Prototype from an other Software?

1 Like

Not in game (but it’s what we try to approximate)

Could be interesting, when you middle click the mouse you could freely rotate the camera. If you did this I think giving the windows some depth would be good, instead of just floating 2d images. I think you already made the items 3d but I’m not quite sure, that would be cool too.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: awesome

Is this going to be something like: when you move your mouse, the UI moves along with it in a way? Sort of like in Dead Space or Warframe? If so, that would be awesome!

I’ll add all these gifs to the devlog collection.

I think it would be cool if the GUI for the item shops, etc, was in a fixed position above it, so it felt more like an actual part of the world. Kinda like holograms I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes