[Guide] The Methodology of Mining

Is this old list no good?

I’ll give it a try thanks

Nice in depth guide to help new people get started. I linked this one and @Vansten’s to the subreddit for any reddit lurkers who haven’t found the forums yet.

2 Likes

Do you know the depths for the lucents too?

No sir, I do not.
That old thread has a heap of useful info, but it’s old. A lot of the people that collected it are no longer around, and did not pass on their methods. If someone finds out, we can edit the post/s though, since it’s a wiki post.

1 Like

Lucent Gem Depths:

Blink - Alt 0 - 20
Rift - Alt 20 - 60
Umbris Alt 120 - 160

4 Likes

Thanks fellas : )

Added Tips and Tricks section for advanced mining and big yields!~

4 Likes

Quick question before bed:

You guide doesn’t really go into what to do about all the sand and gravel. It’s doesn’t really feel like the whole strip mining thing works properly in this situation.

Also it might be worthwhile adding some tips about lava and other things that experts like yourself may take for granted. Like it only takes digging down 1 block to stop a whole flow of lava from coming for you.

Good call. I’ll add those tips.

I’ve had really good hauls of Umbris from 180 - 200 as well on some previous planets. Not the current planet though.

Updated to include a section about lava, sand, and gravel.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I guess I was wondering whether to bother getting it out of the way, lest the be hidden seams behind the sand.

Great guide btw!

I don’t bother. I just move around it. Technically, yes, you could miss a seam but I’m guessing the probability that:

1. A seam is directly covered by gravel or sand and
  2. That seam is either covered on the other side back as well (when strip mining) or does not go deeper into the wall than itself

Is very, very low.

1 Like

By extension you can also leave 3 blocks between the shafts, especially on topaz mining. The probability of there being something hidden is low, and even if there is, the seam isn’t big so it’s not a big loss :thinking:

This is a fair point. I know I’m allowing for potential loss in not clearing sand and gravel but for some reason my OCD forces me to leave only two blocks between my rows or I feel bad about life.

Additionally, clearing sand and gravel sticking out would be extra work but ensuring two blocks between rows isn’t so I go ahead and do it.

4 Likes

You’ll still randomly switch both hands at times for no reason even with the option to switch both hands turned off :frowning:

Sorry for the necro but this is a guide afterall that is still relevant.

Added two more mining techniques that are faster but less efficient and showed a recent topaz yield.

2 Likes

Excellent guide, by far the most comprehensive guide available for mining I’ve seen. I have considered trying to put one together myself but I am just so terrible at structuring a guide as well as this.

Would you be offended if I offered a few constructive critiques and possible corrections though?

Thanks!

And, not in the slightest. By all means, please offer corrections and critques. I love constructive criticism.

1 Like