Guild Plot

Guilds get 1 plot for every member…Or whatever number balances fairly to start. Guilds could then level based on X criteria. To expand land… You could allow other players to build houses in the land designate areas for certain things…Markets,social,entertainment,housing,farming, literally etc…To ultimately have a huge city. That was solely built player driven. The city owners/founders/Guild leaders could charge taxes, fees, rent… So on and so forth…Combine that with player created SmartLocks (Another post). The possibilities of player creation is limitless.

1 Like

Hey @Havok40k and @Stretchious you two are usually great at finding info in the bowels of the boundless forums. I’ve only seen a few bits here and there, but what has been the general dev consensus for the (planned) guild plot features?

1 Like

The general idea at the point runs on allowing people to donate plots to the guild, exactly how thats going to work out logistically is still up for some debate.

2 Likes

As with most things in Boundless, the first version is not the final version. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea, while that sounds pretty cool to donate your own plots, if you leave, you’d screw everyone over.

OH @luke-turbulenz what about a guild leveling system to add plots? This way, the more active guild members are, the faster the guild can grow!

3 Likes

This make sense since the wealth of the guild should not be based on the number of players but on how active the guild is. (or probably a little increase on the initial available plots so they at least could have enough space for a bed!)

I’m imagining starting guild to look like tribes with small houses since they initially have limited number of plots. It would then gradually improve as they level up and making decision (as a team probably) where to use the new plots (e.g. marketplace? portal room? a grander room for the governor?) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some good points here, but let’s say there’s a group of high level players wanting to start a guild. If everyone starts at the same guild level from guild creation, these long-term players will have loads of their own plots going to waste, starting the pain-staking process of levelling up a new guild from scratch. What these players will probably end up doing is just using their own plots, and if they’re a small group of trusted players, they may not bother with the effort of gaining guild plots at all.

I think it would be better to contribute your own level or your own amount of plots somehow to the guild’s level/plots.

I’m not 100% it’s a big issue that someone leaves and the guild loses those plots, i mean the idea of a guild implies there’s a fair amount of solidarity going on, and i think we’d prefer to have dedicated guilds in the game rather than loads of flimsy guilds half finishing builds across the worlds.

But, a way we could avoid that is by donated plots adding to a pool of plots, that is allowed to temporarily exist in negative numbers giving the guild a chance to replace the member/level up other members to get more plots.

I do kind of like the idea that a guild level/plots is just relative to the sum of member’s levels/plots, doesn’t require manual donation of plots per player. But it should decrease the player’s own plots via a sort of tax.

The guild could choose it’s level of taxation, and members can choose to join or not. For example I want to join a guild with a 30% plot tax and i have 100 plots, I have to give up 30 of my plots to contribute to the guild’s pool.

The problem is heavily discussed in the linked thread, is that if the beacons is given from the player one of 3 problems occures.

1. If the guild keeps the beacons the player suddenly lacks them

2. If the player takes the beacons the guild could suddenly stand with large amounts of unclaimed lands

3. If both the guild and the player have the beacons afterwards, a business suddenly appear where playrs will be paied for joining guild so the guild can get more beacons.

You solution is solidly on the 2nd problem,

One plausible solution to all these problems is time. Assuming the players contribute plots to guilds and that is the only way for a guild to gain plots, a simple locking system could be put in place. The locking mechanism would lock contributed plots to a guild with a minimum unlocking duration set by the guild and a maximum unlocking duration set by the game itself (for example a week). If you were to give plots to your guild and wanted to retrieve them, the guild managers would be notified and allowed to take a couple of options,

• Immediately approve the plot retrieval request
  • Set a different shorter duration for your request (setting a longer duration obviously would not be allowed)
  • Ignore request and hold for maximum duration of plot contact.

When choosing to give plots to the guild you would be notified / warned of the guilds preset plot locking duration and also grandfathered in at that time. By this I mean if you gave 20 plots when the preset duration was 2 days and the guild decided they needed to change the duration to 3 days to secure land those 20 plots would still only take 2 days to unlock since that’s the contract you agreed upon. Likewise if the duration was lessened I think their should be an option for the guild to re offer the plot contracts to all members at the lower duration which is optional but not mandatory.
Edit: Also if you are a guild manager, you would not be able to handle your own request unless you are the actual guild leader who has full control. Also if this was implemented it would be really nice to have a member list showing how many plots each person has given so that guilds can enforce their plot tax. Say 20 plots minimum for a member, 40 for an overseer, 60 for guild master etc…

2 Likes

I think ‘Life is Feudal’ has a pretty nifty solution for this issue.
“Guild Area” could be determined by the level of a central guild building, which can be upgraded using huge amounts of resources – and since we’ve already seen plans/concepts for such a structure I think this (or something similar) might be applicable for Boundless as well.

Especially considering the economical factor – Upgrading to the highest levels could cost humongous amounts of high-end crafting products and even Titan drops, requiring Guilds to either buy those materials or to employ a wide variety of player types

4 Likes

This would pair well with my idea of gaining xp to level guild professions for extra plots. Higher quality materials placed = bonus xp to the guild.

1 Like

First off, wow. Did you design that? They are perfect for b<

I love the upgrade/tier system of LiF. I think it would pair nicely with the guild activity system as well. Rather than having to just put in materials, you would need X amount of guild activity to unlock the upgrade. Once unlocked, you would need Y materials to construct the upgrade.

However, please don’t require daily materials to be donated (as seen in LiF). The only way it would deteriorate is if there was 0 guild activity for so long. The reason is, if a flood of people join a guild, then half decides to quit or join a new guild, the required daily mats might be too difficult for the guild members who remained dedicated and active. So, this might discourage players and be seen as a punishment.

Something else I have been thinking about are buffs. These would strictly be PvE buffs, and they would only be in effect within a radius of the guild plots. For example:
Tier 2: 3% mining
Tier 3: 5% less durability loss
Tier 4: 10% move speed only while within guild plots
Etc., etc.

Hah, I wish. Those were part of an old Art:Devlog , so all credit to @Minyi.

But would it be fair if a currently small guild posses a big chunk of land just because they were big and some point? You need to consider that all players, and therefore all guilds, share a finite amount of space, so you should be careful with mechanics that lock area away from others.
Therefore I think that the idea of material/coin based upkeep is quite neat as it gives small-active and big-casual guilds the same chances and doubles as material/coin sink to prevent inflation.