Gum of Lightness and other french translations

So, to clarify, I play the game in English.
My friend @Malentir pointed out to me the bad french translation of the Lightness Gum, so I proposed him to write this thread for him :

Luminosité = Luminosity, and we can all agree that this gum isn’t the one that gives the glowy boon.
In this context, Lightness should’ve been interpreted as Lightweightness, or in French : “Gomme de Légèreté”.

That prompted me to restart the game in French, and I found some other oddities.
For instance, machines refer to Power (the value given by Power coils) as “Alimentation”.
And yeeeeeeeees, in French, you do refer to the Power cable of a computer as “le Cable d’alimentation”.
But in this context, isn’t Power to be taken more like :

In which case, the french word isn’t “Alimentation”, but “Puissance” or “Énergie”.

For some reason, the “Decorative Gleam” block isn’t translated.
I can understand that you wouldn’t want to translate “Spark” and “Gleam”, but even then, “Decorative Gleam” should still at least be “Gleam Décoratif”.

In regards to color names, I find some issues quite similar to the Lightness Gum.
For instance, the color “Light red”. I’m sure “Light” was meant as a synonym of “Luminous”.
Yet the translation is “Rouge léger” (or “Lightweight Red” if you will).
The correct translation I’d suggest would be something like “Rouge clair”.

Here are a few other reworked translations I’m suggesting :
:

Bright Red

Currently, “Bright” is translated as “Clair”. If you change “Light” to “Clair” (as it should be), then you need to replace “Bright” too. I suggest “Brillant” as a replacement.

Stark Red

Stark Red is currently translated as “Rouge foncé”, which is pretty much like saying “Dark red”.
The way I see it, it’s intended to be like “Impacting Red” or “Striking Red”.
In which case, I suggest : Rouge Éclatant / Impactant

Shadow Red

Rouge Ombreux - Currently “Rouge Ombre”, just doesn’t sound as cool IMHO

Silk Red

Currently translated to “Rouge soie”, which could be better, IMO :
Rouge Soyeux / Soie rouge

Cool Red

So, to be clear, when you say “Cool Red”, you do not mean “Cool” like you’d say “It’s hot today, I need a cool beverage”.
I’d guess it’s “Cool red” as in “it’s calming to look at”.
In which case, I’d suggest “Rouge Reposant”

Some more colors!

Teal : Cyan (currently is “Bleu clair”, which can be translated to “Light blue”)
Tan : Beige (currently is “Brun clair”, which can be translated to “Light brown”)
Cherry : Cerise (currently is “Rouge cerise”, or “Red Cherry”, which is unneeded)

1 Like

• Bright → Radieux (unless you plan on using “radiant”).

• Cool → Doux (directly translate to “soft”, but gets the point of “cool” across).
If “cool” refers to the fact that it’s not a warm color, “Fade” works (it’s less strong than English “faded”, just means that it’s not bright). “Terne” also works in that sense (translates exactly to “Dim”).

• Stark → Pur (for “pure”). Saisissant (for “you can only see that one”). Captivant (for “captivating”).

• Weary → Défraîchi (you say that of a worn out color).

• Rust → Érodé (from the French verb “to rust”).

• Viridian → Viridien (Wikipedia also says “Viride” but never heard of that).

• Berry → Prune (that’s “plum”, but that’s the fruit we use for that color)

1 Like

Not sure about “Défraîchi” and “Prune” (especially Prune, because of I’m already seeing myself making bowel-movement jokes).

But “Radieux”, “Pur”, “Érodé”, “Viridien”, those are great!

For “défraîchi” you got “décrépit” (which in its original meaning only applies to colors on a wall, but I guess works) and “décati” (which has the advantage of making people open a dictionary because that’s not an usual word; as for “décrépit” which is for weary walls, “décati” is for weary cloth).

But I wonder if that’s an improvement over “Usé”.

You don’t say “usé” (literally “used”) of a color, because you don’t use a color. So anything would be an improvement. The last proposal I’m going to make for this will be Écaillé, Éraillé and Élimé, which only applies to worn out paint.

Weary
• Défraîchi → worn out color
• Décrépit → worn out color on a wall
• Décati → worn out color on cloth
• Écaillé → worn out paint
• Éraillé → worn out paint on metal
• Élimé → worn out paint on cloth

How about “Affaibli”, like “Weakened” ?
“Rouge affaibli” ?

Not really something anyone says about a color, but it’s definitely better than “Usé”. :man_shrugging:

True. Could also look more into “ancient” or its synonyms.
Like, “Rouge ancien” ? “Rouge vétuste” ?

“Vétuste” (dilapidated) is good.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments. I’ll add a note to the database and pass these along for someone to look at.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.