Hammer debate - Need opinions

Hi,

As I recently finished up a mining trip lasting 110 diamond t6 hammers averaging 1700 durability bo us, I am now again planning / preparing for a future mining trip similar to the one I did.

However, I’ve lately noticed that a lot of people are skipping the durability boon completely and going for speed instead. Therefore I am curious, since I have no experience of forging or other hammers than aoe, damage and durability.

Would it be more worth using the speed over durability? Naturally, each hammer doesn’t last as long but the time and wont generate as much profit / hammer, but plots(xp) / hr is should be greater naturally. But is it worth it?

Please discuss if you have any recent experience regarding the matter. Will be putting in a big offer again and want to see which is better. The hammers would be t6 damage, 3x3 AoE and whatever max speed rank is for a hammer like that (kinda similar comparing to 1600-2000 durability).

Also curious what pies, brews and possibly even buffing bombs people are currently using. Or guild buffs.

Thanks in advance!

I prefer speed over dura because time is money. Plus I can drink a strength brew for t7 and still have my speed. If you opt to use speed brew on for t7 with a dura hammer you have to hit twice to do the same. So it’s not really more dura. Course I know there’s people who don’t mind the painfully slow swing speed, so they’ll use strength brew. Just like I know there’s people who use emerald for the crit.

But to me there’s nothing better than speed. I get what I want faster and get back to doing my main goal.

1600-2000 dura would be equivalent to 30-40 speed.

Oh and for my t6 mining endeavors I use sapphire dmg,spd,3x3 and a strength brew. Love the sonic speed. Lol

1 Like

What if I mostly mine on t6 worlds, as it’s mainly just for the experience? How fast would diamond hammer with speed and mega fast brew be? Is it a waste or is it actually efficient?

Hey did you know you can do this with Topaz or Amethyst hammers also for even more insane rock breaking speed, as a bonus these hammers also have an extra 200 durability. Needs devastating damage boon level 8 on a Topaz hammer and level 9 on an Amethyst.

As player who craft and forge own tools it is not important to have durability boon because it easier and cheaper to craft hammers than try to get 3 different category boons. So my hammers are usually having aoe, magnet and damage.

If I would buy my some tools I would go look for durability or speed instead of magnet.
Consumables I usually use are speed brew (str brew for lvl7) and persisting or starberry pie.

I haven’t carried bombs while mining after change to bomb eating, but being under speed buff bomb is sweet, it just takes one slot from inventory :slight_smile:

I am doing now mining trips mainly to collect ores so I time those with one starberry pie duration, it gives good amount of ores when I don’t need worry about energy at all. So I just get xp along with it that I also like but I am not after it.

2 Likes

Yes but sapphire is faster iirc. I’m not worried about the dura in any way. Lol.

Depends on what you prioritize, speed hammers will always be more expensive but will net you exp a lot faster. If you are going to use diamond I would actually recommend using Emerald hammers instead as they use slightly less energy per swing speeding up the process even more.

1 Like

Umm I can test later. I haven’t mined on a t6 with diamond in a long while. But if you’re trying to get levels faster it would be they way to go I would think. If you’re trying to be cost effective while leveling its not the way to go. So it’s a trade off. You’ll get levels faster but you’ll have to buy hammers sooner.

Just to through something else in the mix, I have started using topaz hammers for my T6 and under.

Get aoe + damage 8 + energy saver (as high as possible) with strength potion leads to almost continuous swinging.

Usually using on 2-6 energy per swing.

This is my preferred option!

1 Like

Speed hammers are the same cost as dura if you buy from @AeneaGames or myself. Unless you’re talking about the fact you’ll need to buy hammers sooner since they lack the extra dura.

Topaz and Amethyst have base 38 action speed, sapphire has base 30. If you really want to maximize potential action speed though I would actually recommend going Ruby as it only requires devastating damage level 6 allowing you to forge more action speed and you can potentially forge even faster hammers than Topaz and Amethyst.

3 Likes

That was my next test lol. I made 1 emerald with dmg energy save aoe. Figured the crit would come in handy to possibly do two swings on sand/gravel

Yes it’s the fact that you need to buy more of them. As a result I actually price my speed hammers lower than durability hammers.

Hmm then topaz and amethyst have lower dmg?

Yes Topaz and Amethyst have lower base damage, but they swing faster.

That’s probably why I opted for the sapphire. Need more dmg in them. But we are taking this slight off topic.

Sorry for that.

lol, yes apologies OP! Forgers can talk for hours about forging, haha.

Just for your reference @FireAngelDth and @fidach use this damage calculator if you really want to optimize your forging for specific tasks:

http://www.pfiffel.com/bl/dmg/#1,2,4,6,9,1,5,1,5,0,0,0,9,0,0

2 Likes

I now keep stock of a mixture of types of tools, and choose what I think would be most suitable for the job.

But with topaz you have speed of 78 with base + skills, 2400 dura and practically continuous 1 shotting.

Its pretty good, I prefer to sacrifice a little speed to not have to pause for my energy bar to fill as often.

Also note, I was involved in a discussion at some point that, with some testing, it showed swings per second max out at 8.2, even if you keep improving the tool speed.

2 Likes

Ok so from a quick glimpse at that discussion the most optimal set up would be a tool with Action Speed of 40 and using a speed brew?

@wakeNbake @FireAngelDth it’s all good, we’re here to discuss hammers, it’s all good info and definitely gives me an insigt and a better view of the possibilities there are to hammers.

2 Likes