Have chests show the most common item they hold

I’ve seen a lot of chatter about how confusing chests may make storage. It might help if they showed the single most common item (or kind of item) they are storing graphically, to ease organization (and look cool / roleplay / more closely match behavior of existing storage)

@james

5 Likes

I like this idea. I’m planning on using the chests similar to how shoo stands are commonly used. Being able to see the item means I don’t need to put a sign above each new storage item.

1 Like

I dunno. I’m just going to colour-code mine.

5 Likes

I dunno, man; sounds tacky AF… I’d rather a storage chest just look like a storage chest. :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m planning on putting a storage block above with sample items for each, then encasing the storage blocks with decorative glass sheets.

Edit: this may have sounded a bit rude… I didn’t intend it like that! This could be useful for some and there’s a lot of ways this could be done properly that wouldn’t look bad at all imo (simple logos, for example.) I just don’t know if the dev work & time involved would make it worth while when we already have methods in-game to display items outside of chests.

3 Likes

Well, that I could get behind; some kind of selectable emblem. That along with colour coding would go a long way in keeping things both out of sight and easily located.

Just use a shelf above them. put 1 of each item in chest thats below. easy

Put a sign with the item name

1 Like

I never know where any of my stuff is anyway :laughing:
Even with open blocks I spend about 40% of my game time wondering around my storage saying “I know it’s around here somewhere…”

Maybe it’ll be the push I need to get organised, or at the very least it will look pretty :blush:

3 Likes

You just need to organise better. You have things all over, some are very organised and then others are just willy nilly. :rofl: Mine was like that but was driving me nuts trying to find things so I had a massive sort out and now things are all in catagories.

1 Like

Maybe… One day… :rofl:
But you’re so right. I keep all my creature parts in vaguely the same place… And all the tools I don’t ever use :laughing: other than that I just keep filling up storage boxes and trying to remember where I put my important stuff :frowning:

I need a new system when this update drops

2 Likes

In your storage is chaos :joy:

1 Like

That’s how I like it :laughing:

But seriously, what catagories have people organised their storage into? Throw some lists at me please

I have my creature drops bit, and rock and refined rock stays in another room. But how do I organise the other 5 million items I have lol??

For every item a 3x3 storage :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And for every planet i have rooms ( still in progress) dir stone crafting and stone storage.

I hate Chaos :rofl:

1 Like

Every item… I think i need a bigger basement! :laughing:

2 Likes

I am no dev buuut i think this will be a disadvantage since the item will have to load when you approach the chest which is more performance intensive than having to show nothing.

Personally, i will arrange the chests in 2 columns in the middle and ill place 1 column of storages on each side next to the chests and each chest will hold the same item as the storage adjacent to it.

1 Like

What about a item sign

1 Like

I would love images on signs!

A good start would be all the in-game items as they appear in the knowledge tab. Then add the emoji’s (for arrows and other small handy images mostly for me!). And if all that goes well, perhaps add a way to add custom images. Reporting abusive signs already exists so if someone does it with an image then that can be done the same way…

5 Likes

How about something new, like a plaque?
Like on MC you can display items in a picture frame, maybe you could put the items onto a ‘plaque’ and display it

3 Likes

I would love picture frames too!

I also would like it if we could take in-game screenshots that the game itself saves on the account server and that we then can use to display inside picture frames and related objects.

And the ability to add some text overlay to it!

I still want to realise my travel agency with posters of the different planets!

2 Likes

Haha I love it!

My (in progress) Hall of Fame build could use the screenshots too, so I could take photos of everyone’s character and display their portraits!

Edit: I’d be making a little photobooth type room with good lighting and a backdrop :laughing:

2 Likes