Have thoughts on Beacons? Make sure you place some

It all depends how large the beacons are, right now they are tiny and you can’t really cover any build larger than a hobbit hole.

It’s a fine balance I suppose.

As always, values are subject to balance changes. It’s the underlying structure that needs to be rock solid.

2 Likes

The survey is out. Have a look into your mail accounts.

1 Like

The first question is broken. says i can only answer 1 per column and i did exactly that.

Column not row … only one mark in each vertically.

it need to look like this.

1 Like

Ah thanks.:smiley: :smiley:

Some numbers for the Plot-Sizes for 1, 10, 100 Hours of game time …

the first column (12) is the current value.

EDIT: I’ve created a detailed overview about the old beacon System.

2 Likes

well, but I agree with all exept that I progress with Beacons … with no difference to each other. They protect my Posessions and Creations, give me space for me and my friends and help to reserve ressources … all at the SAME level of importance …

to force us to disagree with at least 2 of them was quite … well, Let’s say it is semi-optimal ^^ … Better would be a definition like “Set priorities 1-5 where 1=This is my most important function, 5=Don’t need them for this function”

1 Like

Aye, it was a very “you can’t have everything” kind of question really. It was like being told you have to choose a favourite child :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, for me, I felt that protecting creations and protecting possessions were the same thing really, but I guess that’s down to perspective. Whether you want to play boundless for the building aspect as well everything else, or whether you just see creations as a necessity.

My thoughts were … if I build something and put a beacon on it, I ‘possess’ it … hence protecting my possessions :wink:

1 Like

For me it sounded like:
Beacons protect my possessions: Stuff that is stored inside chests, livestock etc.
Beacons protect my creations: Stuff that i built / blocks that i placed.

I knew what it meant ^^. It was a slightly spurious question though.

Possession: The state of having, owning, or controlling something.

In a beacon with your name on it, you are in possession of all things within that beacon (unless it’s an unlocked container - in which case it probably wouldn’t stay in your possession for long ;))

So technically both statements were the same.

This particular question was really just about understand what players thought were the most important reason for a beacon. Clearly the beacon does all the features (protects items + beacons, play ground, resources). Some players might care more about collecting possessions, others about building, others about more social stuff.

Some times it’s important to phrase questions from the perspective of “Pick A or B” as we can only do 1.

But other times, the question is phrased to help us understand which part is most important. This is more about nudging focus but without removing a feature.

Btw - sometimes an answer to a question can seem really obvious - but interestingly all the different answers to this question were considered most important by some players. (We’ll share the results soon.) This may or may not be surprising to us - but the distribution of answers still gives us good guidance.

2 Likes

I honestly havent placed beacons yet since i have no reason to, so since i wont get the survey i will just throw it out there.

I think that beacons should protect everything inside, there should either be a hard limit or a rising cost for each beacon placed, and they should be permanent unless they break the rules of conduct.

If there is anyone who wants to contribute to the survey just PM me.

2 Likes

Placed my beacon and set all the 12 plots… for me it is perfect the dimensions same as the way to do it very easy.

Suggestions

• Texture for the beacon
  • Add more than 12 plots.

Thanks for this update and new tool… house is safe!

2 Likes

Good survey, wonder what will be the result. I was missing kind of questions for guild or settlement beacons. So I putted my ideas into the comments…

@james: Any results or consequences yet ? It’s been 13 days since the survey …

1 Like

I’ve poked someone… (the person who’ll be posting the results - rather than just a random person.)

8 Likes

Hi guys,

I’ve posted the results here: Beacons Survey Results

Ollie.

I like the idea of everyone having the same base level for beacons and then getting increased by player performance. I like the idea of upgrading beacons with a device or resource. My only concern there is the endgame/raid great problem of most MMOs. If the only way to get the items is not available to a casual player, it will drive away players. Obviously there are several steps in between there.

I was considering the idea of increasing the number of plots by achievements instead of by time played. This could be balanced by either a cumulative number of achievements of specific ones.

I saw someone mention the worry of inactive beacons littering the worlds. The idea of an upkeep cost does alleviate this. It could also be managed by a simple timer. If the owner has not entered their beacon for a set time is returned to their inventory.

Also, I wouldn’t mind adding my thoughts to the survey if the devs are still interested.