HELP! Give us your feelings for crop growing duration?

If crop watering is a thing at least the super rainy worlds will have some more value. That said, this is boundless, so I’m fully expecting to see videos of crops withering/dying in the middle of a rain storm because the player didn’t come put the super special water from the watering can on it.

Regarding the poll I’m of the opinion that we need more information to make a good judgement, but I put 24 minutes for the low end and 4 days for the high. On the low you want new players to see what’s going on and be able to scale up, on the high end 4 days seems like long enough for hard crops, especially if player input is required each day/on certain time intervals.

Edit: The more I think about the 24 minute crops am getting a touch nervous in regards to EXP farming. We obviously don’t have enough information yet on this, but depending on how the crops are grown and what the reward is, a big field of cheap crops could become the new rock->stone style leveling system with EXP Pies. Interested to see how this plays out on testing.

1 Like

There should be longer times. 2 hours for start up crops will help teach beginning players that there should be some time involved in something like this and the higher end should take up to 4 days-slightly less than a week is good as i think making it be a week+ would only seem to lose interest in it as a part of the game.

however there should be some sort of item made available for crafting which could speed up those timers when applied to each individual plant- perhaps making that use Fresh Vital Essence.

1 Like

In Minecraft, it takes 30 to 40 minutes for wheat to reach maturity (in optimal conditions). 24 minutes is a generously quick grow time. Definitely shouldn’t be shorter than that.

2 Likes

Personally, 24mins or 1 hour for the lowest-end crops seems fine, though can imagine for some crops like 15 mins would be fine too, depending on what the crops actually are.

For high-end crops I put 8 hours, though I think anywhere between 8 and 72h is fine for end-game crops, but again, depends on what they are, but I would say these really long times are only OK if we don’t actively need to check on the plant very often. I have memory issues and would definitely forget to check a 2 or 3 day plant.

I think the longest time a plant should ever take is 1 week though, and again only if it doesn’t actively require the player’s attention.

^ Definitely agree with this though. Has to feel fun at the end of the day. ^

But like others have said, better opinion can be formed once testing is here. :wink:

4 Likes

But, you can harvest wheat from any Villager’s farms that you find & you can make a substance to insta-grow your crops.

1 Like

They have said already that crops won’t die if not tended:

3 Likes

I agree, without any other context, this poll is effectively meaningless.

I’d also hate to have to harvest every 24 minutes to maximise yield, but I’d also hate to wait several days for a single plant.

I think a good compromise could be that a plant produces x crops every x minutes, up to a certain value.

For example, berry plant produces a single berry every 24 minutes, but this will keep adding up to a maximum value of 100 berries.

So you could harvests 1 berry every 24 minutes, or return after 2400 (40 hours) minutes and harvest and still get the same return.

Obviously needs a cap, but I think this would spread the ‘burden’ of harvesting.

15 Likes

i would disagree if it is instant its just an item for me
i want the feeling off real plants like 2hours lol

1 Like

Many replies so i cant read all but i guess now we can give initial timings and maybe we will better be able to give an informed opinion after testing the plants, what their yield is, how hard is it to maintain them, how much of the yield is needed in ingredients, and etc. So, please everyone chill if the timings change in the future. This is very likely to happen :grin:

1 Like

I like this idea :+1:

5 Likes

2-hours, 4-days is my vote. not sure why the votes are hidden until the poll is closed…

I remember when shimmering orbs were 150-200c each. EACH. I got them by punching glowcaps because I couldn’t afford forged, because that’s how expensive forged equipment was. I say this because due to oversupply, everything has dropped in price. We need inflation, government consumption (quests and the chrysominter), and to find market equilibrium.

At the moment, if farming is going to provide more materials on a time-gated basis, that’s the same thing resource farms and hunts do for a different audience. If that’s the goal: cool! That just means supply will continue to increase and we need more demand.

4 Likes

You are absolutly right this is an alien planet that has no connection to earth but if we disregard maintenance (since we have no info on it) we have to take into account surface area because thats going to dictate your yield within that timeframe. If the time is too short or instant, it’s going to flood the market and have no value. I mean there is already a ton of mats like and i think farming is going to give value to say thorns, sponges, growth etc… An hour or 2 for an entry-level crop,which will most likely use common mats like silty soil that should still produce a large yield. Lets say a single starberry plant yields 5 berries so within one plot (assuming the plant takes up one block each) you get 320 berries. For a single plot, that isnt bad at least to me.

Some great ideas already are being tossed around. Given our lack of information, I do like thinking that the more worthwhile it is to plant something, the longer it takes, with some stuff to break you in only taking a bit to finish. However, I agree that a lack of knowing what all we have and what it’s for is influencing my answer.

1 Like

Is the farming going to have another type of beacon, a Farm Beacon, with it’s own farming related permission?

3 Likes

This sounds great! If linear production isn’t what they’re after, what if they allowed us to somehow affect the growth curve too, so produces more early and less if it’s up longer, if we want some fast stuff. Or produces less early and more later. Make us commit to either a “single craft” or a “mass craft” essentially.

1 Like

I think one day for the basic items. You plant stuff then can see the result the next day, maybe have an option to harvest early with reduced yield. The rarest, more powerful crops should take more time and I think a week will be good and it should help keep market saturation down.

FINALLY beckon will have a purpose to rain all day now :wink:

Its cause people wanna amuse somebody prolly.
I think this system for poll is good.

I think it all depends on the input/output and limitations (if any) involved. If you’re growing 1-2 earthyams at a time, clearly it shouldn’t take an hour for the crop to reach maturity; that’d just be a waste of time even for entry level. However, if the yield is something more hearty and it requires minimal effort, then I don’t see how, say - and hour for example - is a bad wait for passively generating a common resource with multiple crops. I’d say a day or two for the higher end stuff seems reasonable.

Granted, it’s a difficult question to answer fairly until we know a few more details. Depending on rewards involved, even higher intervals would be alright in my book. I just want farming in Boundless to reflect how much time and work you put into it. :spider_web:

1 Like