HELP! Give us your feelings for crop growing duration?

IMO entry level should be pretty fast.

The higher end crops is really hard to say a good timeframe as there are sooo many other variables.

My biggest concern is what is the effort that is going to be needed as far as setup and grind for the required materials?

These really are things that need to seen before a legitimate firm answer can be made.

So in the meantime I put
24mins
And
4days

Seems reasonable with the little bit of info provided so far.

1 Like

I think they mentioned only that the prestige crops can wither in the art post.

Maybe it’ll just stop growing unless you water it.

2 Likes

Farming in itself is a pretty laborious task and time consuming. Now is that something we want the farming in boundless to reflect? Honestly, i think it should.

6 Likes

Exactly. If people want to do massive farm spreads, having it take a few days/weeks makes sense. People will not be able to scale up their farms if that’s what they enjoy because at that point it becomes a job. Likewise you have people posting it’s a job if it takes more than a day of care.

The choice that gets made here really will determine how farming is actually done. If it’s too quick large scale farms will definitely not be a thing as it will require too much care/time/management.

The way I envision it is more akin to real world farming and the other mix is instant mobile farming. There has to be a happy medium here.

Edit: as it has been noted a few times it is very hard to give any unbiased feedback without more details about the system

1 Like

Good point. Gotta find the balance to keep players from burning out too fast and taking too long that they forget/get tired of waiting.

Any chance we could know how many different types of things we could plant? @james

If there’s a lot of options a good farmer could plant a variety of plants to keep them constantly harvesting. I know some people may only be interested in coming back for farming. If there’s only a few types then this poll could weigh heavier than we think and harvest times should be fairly short

3 Likes

I voted
4 hours fastest
2 days slowest

Any faster its not point of even going away from the house. you just end up camping your house. No point of going mining or farming since you will be just watching it grow.
And for the slowest since i dont mind waiting a day or 2 for the longest but if its to long. I’ll just forget about it.

Curious, why though? Not saying everything should be instant - but should simple yams really take 1/2 an hour?

Are we humans in an earth simulation, where everything should mimic earth ways/things/time/food/plants/structures, or are we some type of advanced alien in a fun, interesting game world? :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Entry level needs to be short, or no one will bother with it.

Additionally, unless their is a mechanism to limit volume, folks will just plant fields of farms. If that limit is “plots” then it will be the P2W arguement all over again. Something other than plots needs to limit farm size or the goods won’t have any value.

For the highest tier. 4-8 hours seems reasonable, but the above still applies.

2 Likes

I just had a thought. Water Cans that generate coin after a certain amount of crops have been watered. That way we can hire people to water our crops and they get paid. (similar to how the chrysominter pays you after it reaches 100c)

4 Likes

24 minutes - 1 day. Like others, I’d need more info to make a more accurate decision on my voting choices.

5 Likes

Love it even it’d its FarmVille lol

:thinking: this is a valid point. But this also would require a lot of additional work on the part of the plot owner. Limiting the amount of things you can farm may not be the best route either. I can hear the screams now “That’s not Boundless” lol

If crop watering is a thing at least the super rainy worlds will have some more value. That said, this is boundless, so I’m fully expecting to see videos of crops withering/dying in the middle of a rain storm because the player didn’t come put the super special water from the watering can on it.

Regarding the poll I’m of the opinion that we need more information to make a good judgement, but I put 24 minutes for the low end and 4 days for the high. On the low you want new players to see what’s going on and be able to scale up, on the high end 4 days seems like long enough for hard crops, especially if player input is required each day/on certain time intervals.

Edit: The more I think about the 24 minute crops am getting a touch nervous in regards to EXP farming. We obviously don’t have enough information yet on this, but depending on how the crops are grown and what the reward is, a big field of cheap crops could become the new rock->stone style leveling system with EXP Pies. Interested to see how this plays out on testing.

1 Like

There should be longer times. 2 hours for start up crops will help teach beginning players that there should be some time involved in something like this and the higher end should take up to 4 days-slightly less than a week is good as i think making it be a week+ would only seem to lose interest in it as a part of the game.

however there should be some sort of item made available for crafting which could speed up those timers when applied to each individual plant- perhaps making that use Fresh Vital Essence.

1 Like

In Minecraft, it takes 30 to 40 minutes for wheat to reach maturity (in optimal conditions). 24 minutes is a generously quick grow time. Definitely shouldn’t be shorter than that.

2 Likes

Personally, 24mins or 1 hour for the lowest-end crops seems fine, though can imagine for some crops like 15 mins would be fine too, depending on what the crops actually are.

For high-end crops I put 8 hours, though I think anywhere between 8 and 72h is fine for end-game crops, but again, depends on what they are, but I would say these really long times are only OK if we don’t actively need to check on the plant very often. I have memory issues and would definitely forget to check a 2 or 3 day plant.

I think the longest time a plant should ever take is 1 week though, and again only if it doesn’t actively require the player’s attention.

^ Definitely agree with this though. Has to feel fun at the end of the day. ^

But like others have said, better opinion can be formed once testing is here. :wink:

4 Likes

But, you can harvest wheat from any Villager’s farms that you find & you can make a substance to insta-grow your crops.

1 Like

They have said already that crops won’t die if not tended:

3 Likes

I agree, without any other context, this poll is effectively meaningless.

I’d also hate to have to harvest every 24 minutes to maximise yield, but I’d also hate to wait several days for a single plant.

I think a good compromise could be that a plant produces x crops every x minutes, up to a certain value.

For example, berry plant produces a single berry every 24 minutes, but this will keep adding up to a maximum value of 100 berries.

So you could harvests 1 berry every 24 minutes, or return after 2400 (40 hours) minutes and harvest and still get the same return.

Obviously needs a cap, but I think this would spread the ‘burden’ of harvesting.

15 Likes

i would disagree if it is instant its just an item for me
i want the feeling off real plants like 2hours lol

1 Like