HELP! Give us your feelings for crop growing duration?

Many replies so i cant read all but i guess now we can give initial timings and maybe we will better be able to give an informed opinion after testing the plants, what their yield is, how hard is it to maintain them, how much of the yield is needed in ingredients, and etc. So, please everyone chill if the timings change in the future. This is very likely to happen :grin:

1 Like

I like this idea :+1:

5 Likes

2-hours, 4-days is my vote. not sure why the votes are hidden until the poll is closed…

I remember when shimmering orbs were 150-200c each. EACH. I got them by punching glowcaps because I couldn’t afford forged, because that’s how expensive forged equipment was. I say this because due to oversupply, everything has dropped in price. We need inflation, government consumption (quests and the chrysominter), and to find market equilibrium.

At the moment, if farming is going to provide more materials on a time-gated basis, that’s the same thing resource farms and hunts do for a different audience. If that’s the goal: cool! That just means supply will continue to increase and we need more demand.

4 Likes

You are absolutly right this is an alien planet that has no connection to earth but if we disregard maintenance (since we have no info on it) we have to take into account surface area because thats going to dictate your yield within that timeframe. If the time is too short or instant, it’s going to flood the market and have no value. I mean there is already a ton of mats like and i think farming is going to give value to say thorns, sponges, growth etc… An hour or 2 for an entry-level crop,which will most likely use common mats like silty soil that should still produce a large yield. Lets say a single starberry plant yields 5 berries so within one plot (assuming the plant takes up one block each) you get 320 berries. For a single plot, that isnt bad at least to me.

Some great ideas already are being tossed around. Given our lack of information, I do like thinking that the more worthwhile it is to plant something, the longer it takes, with some stuff to break you in only taking a bit to finish. However, I agree that a lack of knowing what all we have and what it’s for is influencing my answer.

1 Like

Is the farming going to have another type of beacon, a Farm Beacon, with it’s own farming related permission?

3 Likes

This sounds great! If linear production isn’t what they’re after, what if they allowed us to somehow affect the growth curve too, so produces more early and less if it’s up longer, if we want some fast stuff. Or produces less early and more later. Make us commit to either a “single craft” or a “mass craft” essentially.

1 Like

I think one day for the basic items. You plant stuff then can see the result the next day, maybe have an option to harvest early with reduced yield. The rarest, more powerful crops should take more time and I think a week will be good and it should help keep market saturation down.

FINALLY beckon will have a purpose to rain all day now :wink:

Its cause people wanna amuse somebody prolly.
I think this system for poll is good.

I think it all depends on the input/output and limitations (if any) involved. If you’re growing 1-2 earthyams at a time, clearly it shouldn’t take an hour for the crop to reach maturity; that’d just be a waste of time even for entry level. However, if the yield is something more hearty and it requires minimal effort, then I don’t see how, say - and hour for example - is a bad wait for passively generating a common resource with multiple crops. I’d say a day or two for the higher end stuff seems reasonable.

Granted, it’s a difficult question to answer fairly until we know a few more details. Depending on rewards involved, even higher intervals would be alright in my book. I just want farming in Boundless to reflect how much time and work you put into it. :spider_web:

1 Like

You’re right. But I can’t imagine them allowing farming to flood the market with even more items without some sink being introduced. I think it’s possible we also get new recipes along with the farming update. Hopefully it will all balance out

3 Likes

I know that many will go that a new player will want to see quick results, and if there are large farms that you need them to grow fast.

But I am thinking of the few games I have played that had crops and they took a game day and that was generally one hour. I would be planting the crops, go and do some mining or gathering or crafting, cooking/baking while I wait so why would you need 24 minutes? I’d rather have more time to work on something else and then come back to find it finished.

The starberries for example, plant them, go and get the leaves I had gathered earlier and make them into sacks, which can take a while and take the seeds I had gathered the day before and put them into the extractor to make flour out of them. Finish that task and take the milk glands and put them in the other extractor to make milk, which will need to be made into butter. If you want to finish this in one game play time, you will need three, probably four extractors and two refineries and probably two mixers. Gonna need to make another workshop looks like.

Is there going to be a type of fertilizer that can be used to increase the speed of crops growing and double the amount of what is gathered? If we plant it and don’t fertilize the plant it can take one hour and 20 minutes to grow and if we fertilize it then it takes only 45 minutes to grow. Not fertilized we get four berries and fertilized we get eight berries, for example. That type of thing would make it great to have a fertilizer.

We can have a compost of foliage, some soil, toss in a couple yams and even berries and you get a nice amount of compost to add to the plants as we plant them we would get more crops it would be a great addition.

For those of us who are experienced, I have lots and lots of irons in the fire, I can plant the crops and head off to go mining, gathering of items needed for forging, gather the other items for cooking/baking of pies and such so time isn’t a factor, plant, go do other stuff and the nest day I collect the crops and make whatever I am going to make or take to a shop to sell.

I can’t see a player putting seeds in the ground and then standing there waiting for them to grow. They would go and do something else during that time and then come back to harvest. They at the least will need to get some type of grass seed and leaves to make flour, oats or rice and will need to get sap to make sugar. That can take the hour time needed for the plants to grow to harvest.

4 Likes

I wonder if the limitation is going to come from plots, beacons, yields, fertilizer, maintenance, or difficulty in obtaining seeds.

We need more information to make a decision/suggestion.

More input Stephanieeee
moreinput

8 Likes

No crops should grow any faster than world regeneration currently takes. Even impatient new players can accept things take that much time to grow because it’s a part of the in-universe mechanic.

There’s nothing wrong with higher-tier crops taking longer (other than some player’s impatience when their meds need adjusting again). Plant today, come back tomorrow to harvest. Wait even longer for the good stuff.

I live on a farm in real life. Things take time. A lot of time. Running to the corner shop to pick up what you need on a whim is not how it works.

7 Likes

Definitely feel like the fastest should be an hour and slowest should be 1 day

2 Likes

If the time walls are too severe, it could scare away future players.

For example: kids that are allowed 1-2 hours of gameplay afterschool, working people that can only spend an hour or two a night playing after the kids go to bed, etc.

No one is saying anything should grow instantly. Crops should take some time to grow, but it should be relative/scale depending upon the item/yield/rarity. It should not be excessive & should appeal to all players - even casuals.

4 Likes

Agree, I had marked for the slowest four hours thinking of the ones who would whine about how long it would take, but growing up with a dad who lived on a farm, and had to hitch mules to the plow, I know how long it can take for crops to grow.

I remember cutting up the seed potatoes, digging the holes, putting them into the ground. Planting the beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn and more, then the hoeing to get the weeds and stir up the soil, then the long wait and the rush to harvest and get them put up. Hours of canning for the harvest to have the food last the winter.

Kids today, they expect it to all be ready Now!

2 Likes

So i voted. But honestly it doesnt mean much.
I FEEL VERY STRONGLY, that growth time depends on balance between what can be grown, how hard it is to get things growing, and how much these things produce. I STRONGLY suggest a wide range of crop growth durations. For instance a decorative plant or one producing a single starberry should be very fast, while a plant producing 10000 starberries should be very slow. That, or the drop should increase with time, allowing harvest flexibility.

4 Likes