HELP! Give us your opinion on the balance of beacon compactness?

Compared to say… this beacon on Boori, which even at .01 threshold doesn’t make the “good” limit.

2 Likes

I’m kind of wondering how they are doing the calculations. I was under the impression its based on reserved to plotted ratio, meaning a lot of towns can still have small roads between them and still be good, as can larger beacons with larger filled in areas. Though it looks like it may have quite a few different parts to the equation based on the maps.

That looks like “The Hill” :grimacing:

1 Like

Pay attention this is going to be on the test.

@lucadeltodecso is this dependent on two different citizens each owning one of the 2-wide roads?

Do four separate 1 wide roads further compound the cooperative bonus?

Now we need to get into the serious details. If one of the citizens has a beard, can their side of the road be only 1 wide and get the benefits of a two wide road? Tell me this doesn’t deserve extra ratio points.

5 Likes

I stated earlier, the current system is: count of plot-columns against count of empty plot-columns within 2 plots of your beacon (matching the way reservations work). more specifically sqrt(plot-columns) against count of empty plot-columns (with some scaling to make squares 1.0, and extra power-scaling for nicety - but that doesnt effect the thresholding, only what specific value the thresholding is set at)

also looked at how it would behave with only counting “plots adjacent” - but this has weird behaviour where funky shapes end up with the same compactness as a square; and also counting the “true” perimeter which doesnt have any weird behaviour, but felt the 2-plot counting was both more consistent with reservation rules, and made “sense” that a tightly packed S curve is more compact than a loosely packed S curve.

any rule here has to be efficient on the server; eg with just “counting” it can be done via deltaing on each plot/add so that there is never a point in time where you have to “iterate the entire beacon” etc, so is super cheap.

2 Likes

Thank you! Makes a lot of sense when I look at it from the two out. It looks like it wouldn’t take many plots to fix a few of the edge cases like the island stated above.

I dont have enough plots to completely fill in the spaces I want. I am currently using the reservation system to prevent people from plotting inside my borders which I have already built on.

Not taking “advantage” imo. Preventing myself being griefed.by people taking advantage of what I dont have yet. I am on a lake so most of my plotting doesnt have any natural blocks in it. My borders have been plotted and built upon already. I cant scale back without removing plots, and blocks on my already-established border roads.

I’ll have to get together with a friend to help me re-organize where all my plots are. This will take some time.

No offense intended, just taking a relevant example. It seemed apparent that the system was implemented so that players could protect what they have plotted.

The most prevalent use immediately became to keep others off of land without plotting it…

I can’t say that I’m 100% happy about this change because I’m not. But the reason for it is clear.

3 Likes

The Web app works on my phone with chrome except I can’t press any of the keys. If you could add some buttons for that then it should work on my phone as well

Indeed. I am not against this new system, it looks pretty good.

I’m using the reservation system to prevent people from building within the area I am going to build in once I get the plots. This new system would remove that protection unless I do something. I dont have the plots to fill it in, and there’s very few spaces where I can pull back. I will have to remove some of my outer roads.

I’m not against the purpose for the compactness. It is good to prevent reservations things like the spaghetti roads I’ve seen, which is a good thing.

I think this compactness is good. I just wish … well… I have to spend some time to get my plots into more compact-ness, which needs more plots to do so, which I dont have… yet. This will take some time, time I was not planning to use in Boundless, as I want to play more Pixark, but now I will have to redirect some more time into Boundless to prevent myself from being griefed.

I think it should be left alone with plot protection and not letting people “snake” plots. If I was new to the game with no money but the player next to me was loaded and blocked me on 3 of 4 sides which is ok if remember right I’d be pissed and leave cuz they paid to win which is BS to me

3 Likes

The dude that has perms on my rock room right now doesn’t seem to be using it.

I can fill it up if you want to click off a few levels that way.

Or there’s that ofc.

1 Like

Agreed. I have made my home also include roads for people to travel across the large lava lake I live on (I do not play for footfall, that is a bonus I can live without). I like helping out others who want to go across the lake. When I first played, I used others roads, and I wanted to help like that in return.

To get more plots back into my characters, I will have to remove some of the roads that connect to the lands.

Having special beacons for roads would be nice.

I apologize to anyone who has been using my roads to get across the lake I live on. I will have to remove some.

Do you “need to remove them” or do you just not want zero FF?

See my build on boori being called out above and that’s fine.
Would be useful if people remember that some/many builds are still very much a wip (in terms of building and plotting).
I do realise my build has many self-inflicted plotting issues, that I can work on to address, though maybe shouldn’t really need to justify present/future plans against time constraints and real life distractions, in a game called Boundless (plus I’ve plotted in same manner since ea and never been a problem until recently).
Feel free to pop in to “the hill” and have a look around…you don’t have to like the build but you’ll see I am putting the work in and will hopefully continue to do so.
Let’s not be shape-ist…not everyone wants to be a square :wink:

From what I’ve read here , with the compact system in its current state, there will have to be an awful lot of micromanaging from the devs to help players…this is going to eat up a lot of time, but I guess that shows how important they consider this issue.

would be interested to see how this will be conveyed to new players.

@james any chance of updated beacon tools?

1 Like

I can see my house from up there~ \ o_o /

2 Likes

Hah, looks like i’m not having any separate beacons on my city as i intend to keep it that way as i just tested with the road of mine which is worth 500k at least yeah it’s a small yet expensive road for how i designed it. I plotted it with a different beacon and lost 400k yeah no everything must be under one for me :slightly_smiling_face:

If I understand it right, there is a bonus for different people plotting near you in the calculations. So “might” be better if your GF fills in some of the needed space to improve the compactness.

That’s actually what i intend to do, the blue next to the colour storage in that picture being hers so i’d get her to fill that up.