HELP! Give us your opinion on the balance of beacon compactness?

This :point_down: connected to the mall & isn’t mine. It’s over water. If I delete my expansion road that leads to it (fatter road w nodes to the right of the circle - & my road was there 1st, b4 they connected to it), this person won’t be able to run across the water to the mall.

I can remove some of this :point_down:, but that will be cutting off the newer area that people are expanding into, ripping up expensive roads that were costly (material-wise and time-wise) to create. We dug through hills of sand with AOE tools. :pensive: But if some of this peaceful, non-malicious building is going to fall under “abuse”, then it will be removed :woman_shrugging:

mine

2 Likes

James said in his original post that this would be punishable since its intentionally circumventing the rules

Is that GMall?

1 Like

Yes. I already stopped expanding and started removing plots. You checked DKMall?

on test I created a linear beacon until the system stopped me. I then added a side beacon, which allowed me to add another plot to the previously uncompact beacon.

At this point I was over the uncompactness threshold on the original beacon, and all plotting restrictions were removed.

This allowed me to play a “Summon Dev” card and continue on plotting a 1x1 road with no further impediments. I quit after about 4 beacon plotters though :rofl:

I had same thoughts about my roads to get compact streets through my Home Town.
But i don’t think the intension of the Devs was to punish exactly such kind of Beacons.
Otherwise each townplaning would not be possible anymore.
Because the first thing at a new town is, to define streets.
It should not be in any kind an abuse to make such without plotting also the inside.
Would go against any community sense.
I strongly believe, that James will find a possibility to difference between wanted streetsystem and unwanted plotting abuse as he showed us in the orginal thread about it.

1 Like

Exactly. Once we started growing, I had to run out and make a few roads further out for people since I can’t be online 24/7. And someone built a huge awesome thing at the south end with a road as close to the mall as they could get…hanging over water. I put a connecting road up to theirs so they would have access, but it looks like that road is also causing compactness issues. Ugh.

1 Like

But they have to plot right up next to the road. This is a large part of what I’m seeing as restricting natural development of a city. There will be less twists and turns, plotting around lakes, making a road on the low ground between two mountains, and more empty plots being used to force the ability to run the road diagonally (like across a river).

2 Likes

Just wondering how much of the outer roads and walkways I’d have to delete to turn the whole thing purple. :thinking: I don’t really have a lot of roads on the perimeter.

This is a call for feedback and what the devs are saying indicates that your beacons would actually been in compliance if the system went live immediately.

Have you removed a ton of plots?

It does seem that the era of ‘build infrastructure then invite others’ may be coming to an end.

I guess you would have to find new builders, get them to plot into your desired zones with no control or visible guidelines, then plot in the roads/paths around them.

4 Likes

What happens if you have a filled in city that empties out (say, Legendville) - it seems like the city gets flagged if people deplot

1 Like

That yellow on the right is expansion areas. Basically any preplanned road is “illegal”. Also all of the city of Stormgarden is illegal (top right and top middle) and Legendville is illegal (bottom left). Main mall areas are all purple though. But that’s because I spent the past few weeks splitting it into separate plots for each road, so I could name the beacons “row A” etc for aesthetic and navigation purposes, purely by coincidence.

I presume the rules will change to allow preplanned areas before release. I wouldn’t spend too much time tearing up roads. Personally I plan to keep up with the mall expansion plotting, though maybe I’ll hold off on harder building until we know for sure.

I can’t imagine the devs would delete my roads with people on them - at max alt. That wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Maybe it’s better if I take a break for a year and come back and see the damage

5 Likes

Looking that way sadly.

1 Like

and @majorvex
What Nightstar said.
This thread is for feedback… it should not lead to panic attacks.

Nobody should unplot now anything, since we don’t know exactly how James will solve the problem for the math of compactness.

I am consider the whole system for now as very unusable.
Circarpous per example would need a threshold of 0.04 to leave it fair to actual builds of all Settlements there. None of them i would consider as an abuse.
But if you need a threshold of 0.04 to be fair, then you can throw away the whole system to the trashbin. :wink:

I think the only way the issues with Townstreets can just be adjusted, that they get not that down for some outside roads, where nothing is plotted around.
They should get a big Plus on their Compactness value based on the % of the overall compactness.
For Nova Golda per example it should not even be considered as uncompact, since the majority of the street is in a highly compact area.

4 Likes

So 3 wide roads are not compact?

Or is the problem the sliver on the west side? Have to replot that road still but it should be compact no? As the complete orange road structure is 3wide and the middle ones 4 wide?
Or am I missing the point somewhere.

[edit] btw thx @majorvex for the shots :wink: as you all can see have to do it from my phone :wink:

1 Like

I totally agree with 99% of what you have said. James asked for input so we are asking questions and providing input. Highlighting concerns :+1:

Not mad and no panic attack :wink:

Your building should not get punished in any way, since it not even is close to the plotting abuse of the past, that the Devs want to prevent with the plotting restictions.

2 Likes

Some of our roads are three plots wide too. The width of a road can help raise the overall compactness score but the longer the road is the lower the score will go regardless

3 Likes

I believe it’s the ratio between the amount of used plots vs the amount of neighbouring empty plots. so the ‘roads’ beacon won’t pass on its own, but when the areas get filled, the amount of neighbouring empty plots will go down and beacon gets better score

2 Likes