Help with lakes (World Builder)

I need lakes but idk how to make em spawn or how they work when i take the lake thingi and attack it i see no lakes i add noise see no lakes help me plz

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Posting etiquette

This is actually fair as it is about a completely new subject.

@sikerow last time i played around with lakes (which is some time ago I admit) they had an extremely low spawn rate so your lakes probably spawn they are just not very visible.

cough

Please use the search option!
(and please use some commas and stuff. It’s very hard to read the stuff you write)

1 Like

Lakes are kind of hard to create with the World Builder. There is an argument that they’re actually a little defective, ie not fit for purpose. I think we’re intending to rework / tweak them a bit.

In essence you need to create a 3D noise function that when it intersects the height map can find some little hollows to fill with water. The challenge is that it can only result in small lakes. So if you’re trying to create large lakes it’s doesn’t work. It’s more of a puddle feature at the moment.

1 Like

Also their spawn rate is freakishly low whatever you do.

I think this is a result of the noise function range and the intersection I describe. Tweaking the noise function should increase the spawn rate (not easy) but they’ll still be puddles.

Creating a lake biome works decently well (for example, the oases on Kovah). Have the lakes restrict on high frequency noise, and increase the resolution of biomes in general. (it’s hard to tune, though, due to the biome restrictions not being absolute thresholds)

It starts being a real challenge when you only want them to occur in certain other biomes. Ideally, we’d have sub-biomes - wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

2 Likes

A trick to combat that is to combine high frequency noise with a low frequency one (probably perlin); with some patience, you can get infrequently occurring and very spread out noise pockets (lakes). Sometimes you end up getting clusters of them, but it’s not too bad

2 Likes

Every time we discuss the World Builder I realise that the community knows more than the devs! Bravo! :clap: :clap: :trumpet: :musical_note:

6 Likes

Haha so true