How do I get silver?

I know you can find it easier on T4-5 lvl planets, but I can’t survive on these planets.

I’ve been mining T3 planets for hours and hours and have 1 piece of silver.

This is what makes this game so frustrating.

It shouldn’t be this hard to get a basic mat.

I’ve been trying to build a Compactor forever and I can’t because I can’t make an alloy.

And don’t say to just buy them.

Where’s the fun or sense of accomplishment if you just buy everything?

I’ve never had such a love/hate relationship with a game.

How do I see let alone survive on these planets?

I’m going to go play Anthem and take my frustration out on some Wyverns.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but silver isn’t a basic material. It’s a waste of time to mine for it on T3. I know, I tried that myself. You’ll need to wait until you can handle T4 or T5, if you want to mine it yourself.

1 Like

Silver is found under areas of low elevation, low plains near water level, perhaps under lakes. You can always use an atlas. Make sure the lvl 3 planet you’re on is a Metal planet.

Buying is a legitimate strategy in Boundless. Obviously you have to find something that will earn for you as well. Or barter, of course.

If you can’t see on a planet, you don’t have the required Skill Points in Atmospheric Protection for that planet. If you go just inside a portal an icon will appear with a number to show you what you are missing. But obviously, don’t hang around too long …

Once you are safe on a higher tier world that has silver, you will need to place a sample of the ore in an Atlas for that planet. You can create a blank one and “discover” the regions yourself, or buy one. The planet will then render as a “heat map”. But, that still doesn’t tell you how deep you need to go!

You only need 1 point in the relevant Atmos protection, and then you can mine on a L4 to your heart’s content.
Even with an iron hammer, you should come away with a decent amount.

3 Likes

Going to planets where i wasn’t supposed to go was a big part of the fun when i started this game when it came out. Just get the right amount of atmospheric protection and go there. Dodge the cuttletrunk attacks. Once you are underground nothing can hit you and you can mine as you please.

1 Like

And when you find a good spot, add it as a location + the hub you travel from & then santum warp is your friend.

SirGreenDay, are you planning on being on in about an hour? If so, I can help you understand mining in boundless a lot better. There is quite a lot of nuance and tribal knowledge in this game and it can be frustrating until you figure it out… Then of course it flips and becomes a source of pride. A bit like RL in that way. But if your interested, I’ll take you mining with me and show you how I do it.

1 Like

OK.

Basic does not mean easy to get.

Basic means its one of the base materials to form another object.

Silver is the base to make an alloy.

What do you need to survive these planets?

What level should I be looking at before I try again?

I can guide you through that too. Its definitely not “cheating” as finding the information is exactly what you need to do and asking on the forum is a good way to get info.

Sorry.

I was playing Anthem.

What is this tribal knowledge I need to mine for silver?

I would consider tribal knowledge to be stuff that’s not officially published and maintained in a way that’s easy to get at (obvious to find). For example, going to worlds and then checking in the worlds tab of places (or knowledge) menu (not playing and can’t recall which) for spawn rates. Or knowing where to get the appropriate mines resources spreadsheet. Or knowing how to find and your way around the portal networks. I’m going to post this and add more in a sec.

1 Like

Then you need to have an atlas for the world your targeting and place the item into it. In your case, drag a silver ore directly on to the atlas. You can later remove it by hovering over the atlas and pressing “x” (PC). Sorry but I have no idea what button you’d push on PS4. Never the less, once the item is in the atlas it becomes a heat map for that resource… More tribal knowledge would be know what resources will be accepted by an atlas. That would be “dropped” items, not blocks.

1 Like

The heat map will update every 30sec or so.
The heat map like many many things in Boundless is accounting for a top down view of the world ONLY. So it does NOT distinguish what elevation the item will be on. For that you need to find data on spawn elevations. I usually hunt silver at elevation 16 to 24. It spawns higher than that, but I find more in that range. … So then, how do you know what elevation your at?
You open the debug menu (PC) or the places menu. Let’s go with the places menu. Open that, go to the locations tab. At the top it will tell you your current elevation. I’d give you a screenshot but I’m not on…

So then… Find one of the BIGGEST BRIGHTEST hot spots you can, and dig down into the center of it until maybe elevation 24. Then mine out from there. How you mine will depend on the tools you have access to. I can can give you more techniques if you want.

Also, if you’ve never used an atlas I can tell you how to do that,or where to buy one… Or I can give you one…

1 Like

I know about Atlases but haven’t used one before.

I’m about to start my first alt so I’m trying to decide what skills to give him.

I like to build, so im not sure if I should make my alt a miner/gatherer or change my current character to that and make my alt something else.

Too much to think about. Lol

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

2 Likes

I can give you TONS more info, but … Wow… it’s sooooooo much easier with a headset!

I can give you build strategies too. These are tried and true, but just my opinions. There are many ways to go with builds. Especially if you have access to funds for alts

Right now I can only afford 1 alt.

That’s OK though.

It’ll give me a chance to figure things out.

Quick Q.

Can I totally reset my original characters skill points?

1 Like

Yes, for free up to a certain level. I don’t know which because the alts I play with are all too big. But, you have 3 full reset tokens you can use anytime. Be warned… You have 3… Just 3.

You have to buy new ones with earned (or purchased) cubits

Might be worth noting that you can have 3 entire skill pages on each character (toon). However, you can only have one page active at a time. Each page can have 100 skill points in it. Don’t buy extra skill pages unless you have the points to put into them. They don’t come with extra points…

I even read that’s its better to use alts instead of skill pages because its a lot easier and faster to upgrade an alt.

IDK.

Is this true?

You can freely change your skills at lvl 19 and under. When you hit 20 then you will need to use the reset or cleanse points. This changed an update or two ago