How do you keep people in your city or town? Tell me your secrets

We try to find a spot for them depending on what they like to do and what areas we have available, having portals to connect a settlement as big as ours can be hard and expensive for a small guild so we don’t do that to much, either way we try to help them out with tools and tips but also leave them to do there own things, we don’t just want to give them everything in a silver platter.

1 Like

Beth and I smuggle people into our town. They can’t leave. They can’t stop playing.

7 Likes

the bush people are real

1 Like

We are in voice chat 5-10 hours or more a day, so a lot of it is becoming friends and continueing to play together, and keep talking even if they leave so you are reason for them come back, the social connection

6 Likes

Teaching people the ins and outs of the game is helpful too. Like good mining spots and where to find well coined baskets etc

4 Likes

Activity, Being on, engaging, checking on them, offering help where you can, and spending time. Invest in your community and make it welcoming to them. We made our Guild Hall for members of our community. A lot of people are here to help, we spend a LOT of time on Discord, we chat in game, and do local fun events. We try to be as active and have as much fun as possible!

I wont say they we haven’t had a LOT of people also leave, but we build communities together, recruiting friends-- Having something in common and a goal of what to do helps.

I have bought more than enough copies into the game inviting friends, family, and complete strangers copies of the game to recruit them in, provide space for them to build, offered materials, guides, and aid to help them as much as possible.

It’s an actual chore to make sure someone of our city management is on so if anyone has questions, it gets answered. Our discord stays active with folks in voice chat, and I work with other cities to help them, Building those relationships. It really goes a long ways to make sure you have a strong network.

Advertising also doesn’t hurt, Give your members a reason to come live with you, why should they pick up and move their base to your city when they could create their own? It’s a game sadly you have to play. How to be open, welcoming but still trying to create an atmosphere of not being ‘left alone’.

I love everyone of my members, and check on them as much as I can. Making sure people feel happy, or making sure they have things they need. We are more of a big family than just friends, and it helps. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Honestly just reaching out and visiting each one when you see a red dot on the HUD. Takes a couple minutes, might be one that stays. Show them around. Offer to help if they need it.

4 Likes

Becomes a friendship. Your true friends hang around.

5 Likes

Yea, most of the people we have been friends have stayed around, there’s 8 of us living in the city 6 out of 8 are the most active, we are friends, but if that person that just started living in the city leaves after a few days that friendship doesn’t grow.

1 Like

Some will move on from the game. Or take breaks. It is normal. Hopefully they join back soon sometime.

3 Likes

At this if when someone joins us I try to not get excited until they stay pass the first 3 weeks.

2 Likes

I joined a town before making my own, and the day after I joined, everyone left, never to be seen again :weary:

2 Likes

I joined a town that a YouTuber yilis was living and there was this other players there and after I started to live there everyone except for yilis stopped playing.
I only saw those guys for a few days.:tired_face:
I was new back during that time.

3 Likes

Definitely chasing red dots. Until my friend list got to full, I used to chase every red dot and friend them and say hi. Good mechanism for identifying new visitors.

A lot is luck of the draw though. 95% aren’t gonna become actives, so you have to get 20 people for each 1 that sticks around

1 Like

I find to easier to meet people in the game in general theeeen maybe they would want to move into town. And hopefully hang around become a family.

2 Likes

Do you have similar buildings in Boundless? Where is your city?

1 Like

I’m here for a bit more than a month or two now and stayed in a town on my starting planet with my base.
There are two simple reasons that kept me there:

• I knew the two guys who created that town were players that played the game for a long time already and kept on playing it for the whole time (–> active players to play with and talk to)
  • I had easy access to a portal hub close to my base without having the need to create my own. There are clear paths to get there and I just need to run for a few seconds. I still have no clue about how to create my own permanent portals.

Also having a base on a T3 max is super convenient 'cause my builder/crafter character won’t need any planetary resistances.
The only thing that could get me to move on right now would be that they’d be too inactive or if my build gets completely surrounded. I really try hard to build pretty stuff including terraforming and it’s sad if noone would come by to see it. My main issue with big cities is that there’s the chance people could build too close to me limiting the possibilities of spreading out builds (which is needed for terraforming). I don’t like the idea of having skyscrapers all over the place and rather prefer a landside look.

2 Likes

I wish I was better at terraforming. Where is your base located?

2 Likes

Sochaltin I -1923N -729O
Still got a long way to go 'cause I keep hitting my plot cap and didn’t have any coins at all until yesterday evening. Guess I should start participating in hunts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One thing that could help are “Oortian villagers” that start to appear (hanging/walking around) at a certain prestige point of a build.

I suggested this before some time ago (don’t know what the topic was or how long ago). But basically they just start “visiting a build” and can’t be interacted with (like the one in sanctum). Filling a “dead” city with life if you will.

Think this would be a good feature to remove some of the loneliness you get at some point.

Little secret in MC I always build in a village and expanded it. As on the PS4 online (open and public) wasn’t a thing. This way I wasn’t really alone if that makes sense.

2 Likes