How many Networks do WE Need?

GTG is about to be a household name, mark my words. Creepin on ah come up like the Bone Thugs.

3 Likes

So, I guess technically speaking, isn’t it all really just one network anyways?

I could probably touch all 50 planets without ever passing through 2 consecutive portals fueled by the same person or group.

What will be the name of the network? NTG? Network That’s Good :smiley:

4 Likes

:rofl:

People will call it the “Network That’s Good Network” all the time

Just like their “Personal Identification Number Number” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I can get behind that! :+1:

1 Like

Tigg’s Tunnels currently has all USE + all T3 & T4 planets fueled; I use those the most and have been able to keep up with it Oortwise.

There are these local portals to larger hubs at the Tigg’s Tunnels stops:
Cephonex Merica -> FANTASY TREE
Alder -> Tiger Lake
Pheminorum -> MT Olympus
Tana VII -> Stars Hollow mini-hub -> DKMall -> several hubs like Brown Town, RTG, ODF/Pharoa’s
Biitula -> Caldera Mall
Raxxa -> Kiwi Valley
Lamblis -> Terra Nova
Gloviathosa -> GTG Farms
Boori -> Ultima
Circ -> TNT Hub main
(there might be more, these are what I can remember off the top of my head)

2 Likes

Honestly you all should be thinking about it differently, the number of active networks is a good indication of the health of the player base.

having 1 or 2 networks is a bad thing. Ideally you want as many as possible all competing with each other.

1 Like

Opportunity missed… lmao xD

1 Like

Ironically enough, back in October my original vision was to have PS Biitula act as a centralized
hub for all PS hubs, however the idea was ultimately rejected by the other PS Elders. Even now the current hub would be too small to act as a proper centralized hub.

In my experiences with PS, I feel like the convenience of a Centralised hub like TNT is just too great an advantage, and as a result will generally be more popular than a loop hub. However, for a new centralized hub to be successful it would need to offer something different to TNT.

For example, when looking at TNT, the 2 “downsides” (and I use that term loosely) of TNT is that as a tier 4 planet, its less accessible to new players, and as a EU world, it can be laggy for US and Oceanic residents.

A new hub would therefore be able to market an advantage by being on a Tier 3 US world such as Biitula. In addition, while TNT hubs are fairly well organized, a different centralized design for a new hub might make things even easier for users to go where they want to go, maybe with dedicated portals for gleam or resource farming,

5 Likes

Great point. It’s so true. There are days I am on my crafter. Doesn’t have protection for cirp. So I find myself running blind or using another portal hub

We very nearly went with biitula but then we would have had to have had a gateway for Aus.
So the toss up was access everything and sacrifice a skill point or have a gateway.
We have tried to ensure that noobs can survive by having caustic foods pretty much everywhere.
Back to the OP
I think multiple networks are useful if they all lead to different places but also if they have their own USP.
Ultima had the gateway type hub which was different to the PS loop style and so we did the one room all T1 to T4 to offer a different experience.

5 Likes

I’m waking up, so bear with me, lol. That number sounds low, even if others are supporting t1-4? 600 rough divided by 18 per batch at 250 each is 8,333 shards. My personal portal from Maryx to Circ is a stack a week, so at that size thats 8 or 9 portals. If they are carrying some of Elly’s gleam portals as well, I imagine that number is a bit higher? Maybe not, I’m assuming you know better than I do, lol. Just trying to wrap my head around it. Seems like if it was really that cheap, more people would build hubs?

1 Like

That has to be low; Tigg’s Tunnels with all planets open was around half that, and TT was optimised (small exception for Dzassak after i gave it a connection closer than Eresho but those branches are closed except for T3 & T4 now) to have the cheapest portal fuel cost. TNT only optimises its T5+

Oh wait a sec…, the genius of it is that the other end of the T1-4 the planet portals are covered by the destination’s owner, which covers the main cost.

1 Like

I find the cost of the hops between the T5-6 planets outrageous.

It’s costs way more than 600 Oort to run the network.
The upper tier is all us including many farms and personal sovs.
The t1 to T4 is mostly host funded and we did that so we could make it happen but also make it community project.
The minihub idea which we launched was quickly killed by an opposing project I reached out at the time and asked if we could collab but it was met with a difference of opinion.
If we had rolled out that project we would have offered up a loop network within that to the nearest planets also which would have helped people with internet issues.
The loop portals would have been host funded but cheap for local server connections and shops kinda a mix up of PS and TNT and our minihubs to different places on said planet.
One thing for sure is with any infrastructure in this game is needs to be scaled with the player base.
It’s fine to have aspirations to build a mall a hub a network but if u expect it to just work without putting in the work when others exist and you nothing different chances are it won’t last long

4 Likes

Well spoken, ty. That answered my curiousity about the cost, as well as a nice insight to some more behind-the-scenes. I like the loop idea, hopefully that can materialize in another form! I absolutely agree about scaling hubs (and malls, etc) to the population. While true that anyone can do these things, not everyone should. Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians at that point :thinking:

2 Likes

not near boundless atm so im doing this using boundless info and old map i have of the shortest routes strictly speaking the public T5-T6 planets:

rough oort cost on the right is per portal, total at the bottom is based off the total amount shards.

666 rought oort is like 3 hunts, If you have a small guild of 3 people its like 1 hunt per week.

If you have a Sov planet like vikings and only care about getting to your planets you can build a mini network by cutting out other routes.

(note we only care about getting to USE Sov planets)

We also have personal farms, a hub and several other things we are currently paying for. its 36 additional portals that add another 600-700 rough oort, but that still 2/3 hunts for 2/3 people, per week at minimum.

If you have donations or additional hunters then you can do with less hunts per week.

I would say a T5-T6 network is about 6 hours of hunting a week.

If some one needs to plan a network i have this map of the universe
https://xyberviri.github.io/boundless/planets.html

Also Delta C and Till seem like they could also serve as hub planets, Till is actually closer to Serpensarindi, Circapous and Delta C are closer to Besevrona. but i haven’t bothered checking if you can get to the T1-3 planets from them though and you are still stuck with the fact you need to hit a T4 plant to get to the others

4 Likes

A bit off topic… We saw PS alrdy disbanding… Hows TNT doing? Just curious about current situation of portal networks. Im happy To help if its needed

2 Likes

Ive been offering my help to anyone who needs it. Be glad to help out any hub, network or just someone mining :slight_smile:

1 Like