How to Change Sanctum Lighting [Basic Tutorial PC] ☀

Thanks to James for the answer to my question in:

Tutorial

This is one way on how you can change Sanctum Lighting for PC.
The file in focus will be the Sanctum’s original lighting file. (Please make a copy/backup of files you are wanting to edit.)

Steps:

1. Go to this path: Steam\steamapps\common\Boundless\assets\archetypes\lighting
    (varies based on launcher choice, but the path should be similar)

2. Next locate the playerstart-lighting file

1. Open the file in your preferred editor. (Ex. Notepad, Notepad ++, Visual Studio, etc)

2. Next find the values you would like to change. If you do not like the world lighting, then find variables named as “sky*” or “atmosphere*”.

lighting

(I highlighted that first part sloppily lol make sure to only change the numbers)

This is my current setup. It is a very subtle edit. (I also reorganized the file, to be more visually pleasing, since it was originally 1 line.)
The values you will want to change are the rgb values. “l” is for luminance or a brightness.

So for example, in the picture the first variable: “atmosphereColor” has rgb values of 255.0 for each. 255.0 for all 3 = white light. This is not the original value.

(I plan on playing with more colors later lol)
Need more info pm me :smiley: ( I like to make guides but I always miss something xD )

9 Likes

I’m not happy with the results, but I was able to copy the “lush” profile straight overtop of the playerstart profile.

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Just takes a little messing with :slight_smile:

No problem :smiley:

2 Likes

I messed around with this file quite a bit, so I thought I would share some info.

If you want to make the JSON a little more readable, you can paste it into a linter to validate it and get it formatted. At least the lush planet profile is already formatted, so this is a safe thing to do.

A couple warnings, since I ran into trouble. It is possible for editing this file to crash your game on startup. I was able to end up in a state where even restoring my backup of the file caused a crash and I had to use steam to validate the files.
If you do have to validate your files. Remember to back up both your mods and/or other modded JSON files and also any custom sanctum files - I forgot my custom sanctum and will have to start over!

The other warning is that numbers under zero need to start with a zero. ‘.5’ is not okay. ‘0.5’ is okay.

On to the more fun stuff.

If you are editing this file, you may think you need to restart the game after every change. This is slow and tedious for testing, and I don’t recommend it.

You can use Sanctum Edit to iterate much faster.
Press F1, click “Menu” in the top-left, click “Sanctum Edit”
Then click “Load” and choose “playerstart.dat”
You will load into a weird version of the Sanctum with dummies in it. I’m not getting into Sanctum editing here, though.
There should be a popup visible. If you can’t access your cursor, press F1 a couple times until you have it.
Each time you make an edit to the file and want to see the results, click “Reset”. You may have to scroll down in the window to see it.

Keep in mind that if you have a bad change to the file, this will trigger a crash and you will have to restart anyway. I missed pre-decimal-zeroes quite a bit, but this process is still so much faster than a client restart every config change.

It is possible to change the color of your glowy particle effects. The ‘worldLight’ objects will influence this. Both the sun and moon values of this influence the color, so change both. Combining them can get different blended effects.

Default:

If you set luminosity to zero for both:

“worldLight”: {“b”: 0,“g”: 255,“l”: 0.15,“r”: 0}

A more extreme one, I don’t remember:

You can actually get very extreme and surreal results with this, so watch out.

This example has green on moon and red on sun, at 255 luminance. As you can see, these values affect a lot more than just the particles.

I can’t find a way to reliably make the particles significantly less visible, but modifying the colors is nice.

I’m sure with more tinkering, people will find out more. It looks like you can set the colors of the day/night cycle by adding more colors to the colors array, but I haven’t tried working with this specifically, and it may have caused other files to break.

6 Likes

Hm, I think I should try to adjust the daycycle positions now… :stuck_out_tongue: (trying to work off the Lush base)

More weirdness:

But now it’s looking more reasonable at the “peak” (made the sun go from North to South, best I could work out)

3 Likes