How to combat Many deaths on high level worlds?

Because NPC follow rules people do not. NPC show people do not. NPC are always there in game, people are not. You cannot in any way compare NPC to normal players and how they play.

I agree in wanting to have people play together but I think we need solo because many of us like solo play as well as teamed play. The game can accommodate both styles.

1 Like

this is why they are bringing out the private servers (your world/universe… your rules) if it works that way… but the question is how much would it be to rent or buy a server?

I certainly support the concept of private servers. I would like to have one so I can limit who can build and mine/gather while still following the rules of the universe and being able to move between the private planet and the rest of the Boundless universe.

My concern is that if the developers create too many limits and restrictions, more people will get private servers in order to change the rules. That takes these players out of the Boundless universe and we have empty space instead of a thriving universe. There is a balance someplace, but right now I think it has become too restrictive and grindy.

As far as the topic, I believe the only way to combat the deaths is to allow people to limit/eliminate the death penalty, otherwise they will not be going to the other worlds except as hunters. Which means no mining, gathering or building.

2 Likes

THIS is my main point exactly!!! (could someone please link this quote in to What puts you off Thread please? ( i have treid but cant figure it out) - if it needs to be linked ofc

And yes… to keep on topic… why not just get rid of the hassle altogether and do what WoW does (or similar) every time you die (after a certain level) you get an amor/weapon/tool debuff for X ammount of minutes

I’m not sure how I feel about the xp debuff yet. While mining on Andooweem I can get rid of it in about 10 minutes with a normal diamond hammer if I’m spec’d for mining. However my builder probably won’t ever get rid of it’s debuff, or it would take me a few hours of building to get it taken care of.

I would suggest a time limit, but then people would just log off whenever they die. Maybe lower it to a 5% instead of a 10% so it doesn’t feel like you have it forever. You would still want to avoid it, but it won’t make you feel like you aren’t progressing if you swim in the spicy marinara.

1 Like

I get the distinct impression that the developers feel a death penalty is a thing that must apply to you, and you MUST play through. They don’t like the idea of you taking a break while a death penalty expires.

I’m not saying I particularly agree with it, but I’d say that why we haven’t yet seen a time based debuff kind of penalty trialled yet.

1 Like

yeh ok… but the current debuff is unagreeable (especially as some say it takes a lot longer than it should/its broken) i know we are still essentially tesing before release and all i am doing is giving my honest input…

As much as i get it/understand it… i do not have to agree with the current format :slight_smile:

1 Like

or maybe starting from a specific level… ? also a debuff of 50% at level 50 is agreeable… maybe make it stackable (level 1 > 10 = no debuff… 10 > 20 = 10% 20 >30 = 20% and so on?)

With it being a flat 10% of required xp to level, it scales automatically while you level. So there isn’t a reason to inflate it as you level since the xp change is already there. Maybe not having a debuff before level 10 or 15 would be a good thing though. It would help new players get a feel for the game.

1 Like

the level start i would be happy with :slight_smile: (start at level 10 etc)

I have now flagged this thread to be locked or removed etc, get your replies in before hand if you need to

Thanks for all your comments :slight_smile:

I would rather say you need lower the penalty for higher levels.
May be 10% for all levels but no more than 10k xp so having more than 100k xp penalised doesn’t create higher penalty.

2 Likes

This is a least better than it is now, as much as I an disliking the current situation. As it sits now, I would never participate in the group hunt as my character is not spec’d to hunt so I am sure I would die more than a few times. I would not build, gather or mine on a higher tier world. Again having my skills in tools for gathering and mining instead of armor and weapons (since there are not enough points) I need to avoid dying.

If the developers wanted to try and get people to avoid dying then the current penalty has certainly met the goal. Maybe with unintended consequences.

2 Likes

I’ve always tried to avoid dieing as much as possible even when I had the no death penalty before but I’ve decided that after 1.0 I’m pretty much just going to stay on the lower tier world’s and just concentrate on building. The penalties and restrictions in this game since the update have put me off from doing most of the other things. Even from looking at the forge ingredients apart from the basic ones a lot of them need resources that require a hunter to acquire and some are just down right impossible, shadow orbs for one, they might as well say go get a wheelbarrow full of unicorn :poop: … i know someone will say that after 1.0 they will be easier to get etc etc but how are we supposed to test these things if we can’t get them now? Someone will also say that you can just go and buy the ingredients well you can’t if none are available to buy plus if on the rare occasion you did find what you’re looking for then you’d need an absolutely absurd amount of coin. Also not everyone plays solo just because they want to, many people have to work full time and have a family so they can’t just jump online whenever they feel like it or their friends are about or a community hunt is starting.

1 Like

I have seen plenty of them dripping fungi on the hunting worlds, so I’m sure they will be easier to get.

Most importantly, you can create very good upgrades in centraforge using some basic compounds and pastes. So no need to worry about the rarest ingredients.

I’m nearly done with the 2nd part of tutorial - I’m delayed as I got busy at work, but I expect it to be ready for Friday and the 2nd part is showing what I call “safe forging” (will cover “risky forging” in part 3). The safe forging is shown in 3 variants in the tutorial: simple (just compounds), simple buffed(compounds and vigour/boon increasing ingredients) and complex (same as simple buffed plus ingredients influencing the random factor).
Hopefully you will find it encouraging enough to give the centraforge another go.

4 Likes

Sounds like you found my Munteen base :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely salute your dedication and perseverance with the forge Boundmore and especially the effort you put into your instructional videos but at the most I’ll probably just dabble with it once in a while as a little fun distraction but it’s not something that appeals to me in general. I find the whole process far too time consuming, grindy and unpredictable to grab my attention. I’ve never had huge amounts of resources stock piled so after making tools and weapons etc and then having to get even more stuff to put into the forge and not even knowing what you could end up with, I think I’d rather focus my efforts elsewhere. I even did a mass craft of advanced power coils with the last of my gems and titanium and it still takes almost an hour to output the item. I’d hate to think how long it would take without any power coils.

3 Likes

and who can afford the current prices of forged items (apart from long standing players… i just HOPE the wipe continues/happens as origionally planned so everyone is on an even footing again!!!)

1 Like

The prices I’ve seen being discussed are pretty much double that of the old gem tools and weapons :scream:

is that a good or bad thing? :stuck_out_tongue: