How to make Boundless fun and recover the dwindling playerbase

Could have high-prestige trophies as dungeon loot, for the builders. Dragon heads and such.

Yes exactly. The builders who weren’t interested in fighting and dying, could buy decorations for their creations on the market. The fighters and explorers would get money for selling what they’d looted, spend their money on armor and weapons made by the builders, and generate income for the builders by visiting their creative buildings.

Maybe rarer “dragon heads” (or wurm teeth, or monster claws, or gargoyles, or whatever), would generate more income for the building.

1 Like

I did play a bit when it was in early access, Steam says I’ve got about 11 hours in it which isn’t huge, but it’s enough to get a feel. It’s good, mostly. You guys have created something you should be proud of. It’s just not quite reaching its potential. It’s not as successful as it should be.

Honestly the game itself is beautiful and FEELS like the kind of game I love to play - the controls are tight, the graphics are nice, the idea is great - which is why it’s so disappointing when I dig down underground and see the same spitters and wildstocks that are on the surface. It FEELS like there would be huge procedural dungeons to explore - but there aren’t.

You guys seem like dedicated and skilful developers who have a vision - I just don’t think you really understand the needs of a huge part of your target demographic, and why they enjoy games like this.

3 Likes

As someone who’s a low level/just getting into things, I gotta say that I need, not necessarily a way to catch up to the vets, but just more things for me to do at my level.

1 Like

Guessing you didn’t start on a lvl 1 world or move super fast. After 11 hours I still was on my lvl 1 planet and hadn’t been anywhere else or even close to being able to get to a lvl 2/3 planet where I find critters underground

Try one of my many temp banned accounts lol.

I also want more gameplay for explorers, I’m a self-diagnosed explorer-socializer bartle type.

If you think the game only has critters you must not have traveled to higher tier worlds yet. While I agree the game needs more monsters with more behaviors, there’s already three more systems in place to diversify the five monsters that are in the game. (Two of which you clearly haven’t seen because they attack any player on sight.) Monsters come in tiers like sturdy, strong, mighty, elite which gives them more attack moves. Next they can spawn with buffed stats to four attributes. And third they can be elemental with each element having its own debuff mechanic. Boundless monsters have pretty good depth so adding more is a big project. I think you’ve seen maybe 5% of the enemy content if all you’ve seen is wildstock and passive spitters. Variety is always easier to achieve than depth so Boundless has a good foundation to add more monsters and I hope they do so at a faster clip this year.

I don’t think theme park content is ever going to be Boundless’ forte, so discoverable dungeons and the dungeon content that ppl keep asking for are never going to pan out. Unless you like running the same dungeon a hundred times.

To close let’s tackle both concerns in this thread and make a monster for explorers. The theme will be a monster full of loot that you have to track down and fight.

Something similar and amazing has been pitched already in critter form.

So I think you just need to twist that idea a bit. Let the monster not show up on radar but leave tracks, in the form of blocks on the surface that decay as the world regens. An explorer can come across these tracks and follow them to find the monster and its horde. Kill or trick the monster to harvest the horde, which is a small pile of resource rich blocks.

6 Likes

I stayed on my level 1 planet for a good 2-3 weeks when i started lol.

@Strangedog your constructive criticism is good. Better and more useful then simple complaints we offen see on here. I can agree with you on some points. Combat is definitely something that could be improved. And i believe/hope it will be at some point.

@OdinsRavens im not surprised you have several temp banned accounts. I used to read some of your posts and have to look at my phone sideways because of the way you come off sometimes lol. But you’ve toned it down a bit recently imo.

1 Like

there is this - art concept for craftable hunting trophies

trophies

5 Likes

I was at the same wall when i started. I moved to the capital of my planet and asked for help from some of the people that settled down there, and they helped me out a ton by bringing me mining/ hunting as well as giving me some old equipment that really gave me a boost in productivity. Despite the complaints on the forums ive found that this player base is insanely nice and willing to help newcomers and low leveled players!

3 Likes

Ah man I was on your side until you said 11 hours in talking end game here, there’s plenty to do early and mid game in my opinion. Sorry not to be negative or anything just wanna be clear. I love the game as well and will continue to play for a long time i m just in a lull I think and I’ve spent too much money to justify taking a break.

Having never played Minecraft I have no idea of what they have, but several games have it that aren’t MMO, it is just another thing to do that is totally different. ARK has ruins that players can find loot in. 7 Days to Die has houses and buildings to explore that has loot in them, items that can be used to help in crafting.
I like the idea of farming or even of raising critters for food and other items. Chickens type critters that will give meat, feathers and even trophies on the higher level planets. They can be like the ones on level one, no danger, level two more and up in the area of danger and what they drop. Something totally different. They might be in trees, or have nests on the ground.
Devs started a thread of asking for what is seen as new content. Dungeons, ruins, hidden loot that we find a map to are common in many other games. It is not copycatting, just using what other games are seen as enjoyable and enhances this game.

11 hours and you think it gives you a idea of what the games has to offer? 11 hours is not long enough to see what is out there. Yes, some of the critters all look same on the different levels of planets, but as you advance you will see different ones, and they will get harder to kill. Should be that way.
I spent my first two weeks exploring the level one planet and learning how to build, craft items, visiting cities and looking at settlements. Went to a level two planet with my son to start building what we had hoped to have as a permanent base as we explored, mined and hunted on higher level planets.
There is plenty to do to keep entertained, unless you like games such as Fallout, Dying Days, Forest or others with constant danger from zombies, mutants and cannibals. Or ARK with the dinos and vicious players who enjoy destroying others.
Give the game time, work on skills that will help you on other planets and realize it is a learning progress, you need to get those skills learned by doing and making things on level 1 and 2 planets.
I know I wouldn’t like Minecraft, but this game is almost perfect for me. I want more content, but I am more than willing to give the devs time to put it in. At over 600 hours I have gotten my money’s worth so I don’t have any negative feelings against the game, Just want more, who here doesn’t want more in the game?

2 Likes

This would be awesome.

Yeah - fair enough!! We value opinions from everyone. Looking at the analytics it looks like you’re yet to place a campfire in the Launch version. Quite a bit has changed since Early Access.

And that is exactly why we ask for feedback rather than assuming we know exactly what everyone wants and enjoys.

15 Likes

Wait till you get to end-game, where harvesting resources is literally just holding the left mouse button and smashing rocks in a straight line because many of the planets are mostly solid rock.

No adventure. No dungeons. No exploration.

Serpensenti or whatever it’s called is just you and a hammer, smashing away at a an endless rock wall in front of you.

If that’s endgame then where am I at??

FYI, have multiple level 50 characters, my main has 3 max skillsets and 550+ skillpoints I can’t spend. When I mine with one of my own forged gem hammers I never can seem to go in a straight line, it usually goes like:
Okay, I go that way! smash, smash, looks around
Oh! hard coal on the left there! smash hard coal
Look at that, diamond seam behind it! smash smash

Long story short, after a bit I can even lose my direction!
Once I was standing still and smashing at anything worth anything to me, once nothing was left I had a huge hole with 1 block that I was standing on, lol!

I call my method the ‘chaotic Aenea method of mining’, once they teach this to little Oortians in 100s of years from now they have no idea if the chaotic was about the method or me! :joy:

(tho both would correct!)

5 Likes

endgame lol
this is not tetris where you need to get a highscore
alot off people who tend to stick around play for the social part working on reputation organizing stuff BUILDING STUFF
me myself haven’t mined and barely hunted since day one im just getting started in my base are a couple off workbenches and a refinery nothing more it might take me a couple off years to reach endgame wich is probably gonna be me finally starting up my base :grin:
think people looking to beat the game
but it isnt a game to finish its boundless
i like that it takes time for stuff to come makes it better
Main rule off aquatopia is No Rush
makes everything better :smile:
being a boss in this game doesnt mean being the best
is my opinion yours might be different i realize that also that thing said about basic game knowledge i hope the dev’s stay as far away as possible from that
its pretty obvious the game is tailored to what we want so just have patience and let it grow into a awesome game
i imagine if you got everything done thats possible in a couple off weeks it gets boring
just take it easy lol

6 Likes

it’s this part right here that most of those people don’t get.

oh, and this really helps :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

im at 2400 hours and have barely played the game :nerd_face:

6 Likes

@james Maybe lock the games option to post opinions to people who have at least finished the tutorial lol. :joy: joking ofcourse.

Wish it could be applied to Steam reviews to. Played 1 hour and scream p2w. Like wth??

2 Likes