How will rental planets bring a community together?

As someone who feels rather alienated by the recent updates (PM me for more details on that) and the idea of having others leave the general population to rent their own servers, makes me wonder the reasoning.

I cannot afford to rent a planet and be a part of this so my concern is in the general pop.

:thinking:

Personally speaking I haven’t played since reclaim was released. I’m planning to get some planets to whitelist and play with some close friends. Whitelisting more to cut us off from the general universe than to cut others off from us. Imo the economic terror that is the chrysominter has led to several exploits and will continue to lead to exploits and my friends and I don’t want any part of that. We’ll be treating our rentals like we treated minecraft and do everything ourselves instead of integrating as part of the overall community.

So it’s not so much as we’re splitting from the general population because we don’t play now. It’s more like we’ll finally get some place to call our own without being blocked by roads or trolls and without trying to compete in a market with super millionaires.

Edit to say that I’m so excited for rentals because it feels like I’ll really be able to play the game for the first time!

14 Likes

I don’t know.

My thoughts though are that the community benefits from having that option to be separate. Those who cannot abide neighbors will have the ability to opt out of any possibility of that. This means that the people who are on public servers generally WANT to be there. This provides a more cohesive environment which should promote populous growth. This is all speculation from a person who can’t wait for private worlds. I am the game’s premier loner but I love being engaged on the forums. This update, which I have been very patiently awaiting, is a perfect fit for me.

10 Likes

Rental servers won’t really remove anyone from the live universe, they will still be there. They will still be involved in the economy if they want to. They will still be going on big hunts to fuel their portals. They just won’t have to deal with the constant people issues cropping up around their builds if they choose not to. I can’t wait for some of the themed builds that people have wanted to build for years but always had someone build a giant gleam tower or a floating mall/workshop/empty platform right next to it and ruin the immersion.

I also have the feeling you will be able to go on many of the rental planets. Quite a few of us aren’t planning to close them off to visitors, just to people who wish to plot there. With any luck this will stop the issue of people constantly finding resources plotted off.

14 Likes

I think in particular while the player population is low, the rental planets could actually open up some space in the public universe. I know on Segi if my entire guild moves (which seems to be the direction it is heading now) we will remove about 30,000 plots from the planet. That is space that players that may not want or cannot afford to rent can now use.

11 Likes

I personally plan to open the planet up to the public universe if I can afford to rent one.

6 Likes

it’s already been released which will be the rental price ?

1 Like

It has not been released and the pricing for the rental planets has not been released either.

6 Likes

I can see the challenge it will bring, but at the same time i think it will bring in a ton of new players. Especially if this is the release they were waiting for to start marketing the game. I think a large portion of the playerbase is just waiting on rental planets to create at their own pace and not worry about reserving 5000 plots for future expansion.

New players will now spawn on regular worlds without having to hunt for patches of land that haven’t been reserved. With their limited amount of plots, they will likely form new communities that aren’t so spread out like we are now. Eventually moving to their own rental worlds and the cycle continuing.

But with hardcore players transitioning to rental planets, there will still need to be something to entice players to still visit permanent worlds. I would guess devs already thought about this and have something in the works. Hunts would always be a big community thing, especially with more portals being needed between all the new planets. I’m hoping something changes about portal cost as oort cost is still rising and will be even more in demand, but thats another topic.

3 Likes

Mine will also be open to the public, I hope we get prices soon!!

7 Likes

Rental planets are really just an extension of the “player driven content” aspect of the game.

6 Likes

I do think rental planets offer some interesting possibilities. They do give players an option to set up a medieval, cyber punk, or any other style collection of planets and play there without worrying about other players or needing to interact with the rest of the universe if they choose not to. If players want to set up an RPG planet where they want everyone on the planet to be RPG players, they can without other players breaking their immersion. If a group of casual players wants to play with other casual players only, they can.

In the end, I think more possibilities means more players playing Boundless. I will not say that it means more players in the public universe, because that is to be seen. But does that really matter? I would say no. As long as more people play the game, that is what matters.

7 Likes

RPG worlds and attached rental planets would be a lot of fun!

3 Likes

My guess is $10-15 a month

2 Likes

8 Likes

At a $10-$15 a month price point, I can easily see rented universes coming. I set aside money for two planets at $45 a month for the next two years. I’d love to turn it into a set of planets that would give access to everything non-exo related at that price point.

3 Likes

So if it’s $15 you’re buying 6 planets? Woooooo

You can always move to the Nation of Axon Biitula, and join the TDC, SPQR, and our Allies…

This post was flagged as Inapropriate which is unacceptable… I have escalated this up for Developer attention due to this abuse…

1 Like

It’s one of the possibilities. If I can open up more colors and unplotted places to farm its not a bad way to spend my “gaming allowance”. The only other games I play anymore are PoE and Diablo 3 when new seasons kick-off.

1 Like

Both excellent choices sir

I need to get back into PoE. I played the heck out of it about 5 years ago