HP bars for the game

Nice. i would generally prefer if it was sort of a bar so each side is 25% HP and you could see by how much was missing how much HP it had left. But again your solution would be great if they went for the sort of “you have a bit of information but not much”

1 Like

I dig that solution. Clean and effective. Though we might run into problems with enemies that are similar or the same color as the cursor is. Any thoughts about how to get around that?

My new thought it that we could just not have any sort of enemy health bars shown, and you have to use your game knowledge and intuition to figure out how much hp they have. Enemy hp bars aren’t really necessary in most cases. Especially little seals (that you club) down with 2-3 hits dont need hp bars. Maybe only like large miniboss to boss level enemies.

I’m always for the Monster Hunter approach to health.
For those who don’t know the series. You can only gauge the health of an enemy creature by how it moves, how aggressive it is and how beaten up it looks like.

But vastars cursor idea would be a good middle ground which I could accept^^

1 Like

Well yeah, but i think i mentioned this before. it also takes a TON more work to do, and EVEN more to do right it has to have different “stages” of beaten up.

2 Likes

I´ve played every Serious Sam game so far and this was never an issue for me (creatures are rarely just plain green/yellow/red) but a little black or white frame around the central dot should do the trick.

This fella probably takes more hits than you can keep track of during the fight (especially if you also have to react to/dodge his attacks). How should you know if it´s time to run or if you can finish it with the rest of your hp?
And what happens if several player attack a creature simultaneously? It´s impossible to keep track of the hits from every player.
Or what if you play as a healing focused character? How would you know which player needs your attention?

I´m also not a fan of the usual mob health bars MMORPGs use but I think some sort of health indicator is definitely necessary.

@KuroKuma ,Yeah the Monster Hunter system would definitely be more awesome than my suggestion but as @Zouls already said, think of all the additional work that would be required to make 2-3 different sets of behavior for each creature.

2 Likes

i think KH is kind of a good example, you didnt know how much hp an enemy had unless you equipped a passive. It got very awkard to fight bosses without it on, because you had no clue on how close you were to winning. and suddenly you just killed it. HP indications are kinda necessary.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer the more subtle information methods. More HUDs and GUIs make game feel more cluttered and about the numbers and less about the environment, story, and lore. I know the functionality of a game deals with precise numbers, but the player/character knowing and interacting with the numbers had always seemed out of place to me.

A colored reticle is a great idea. Changing graphics at certain damage levels is nice but potentially resource heavy. This could possibly be handled with mannerism and posture changes. Not knowing how the coding is being handled I can’t say which would be less intensive.

1 Like

I really like this idea. Not only will it give miscellaneous stats but It can be used in conjunction with an Item that lets you see HP. This will also help the lore a lot which I love most in a game.