HP bars for the game

to steal from Zouls and his constant inspiration from anime, what about a scouter like in DBZ where players could equip it, and we could see information on enemies and monsters. That way it would handle story, immersion, and possibly let some players have the choice to NOT see the health bars if they wanted…

2 Likes

looking at titan ‘‘It’s power level is over 8000!!’’

2 Likes

I’m absolutly ok with an actual item you can put on to see information like HP^^

1 Like

Or at least a bar which shows you by color if it’s a tougher one or not. Numbers are not totally necessary.

yea that’s true. Maybe different tiers of the item which gives different qualities of information.

im still split between free and hidden information on creatures + players.

thats my opinion atleast.

I completely understand (for once^^) what you mean and I’m split myself about this.

am i really that hard to understand? i even try my best to be as detailed as possible >.<

That’s not exactly what I wanted to say, my bad^^ I meant more like: For once I understand what you mean and understand where that opinion comes from.

well whenever you read my stuff just remember my one opinion

‘‘If i can ask myself in this MMO if i need to interact with other players for anything and the answer is no, then something is not done right’’

but that is something else.

i just dont want all info because i like a sense of mystery. like a player have to give you his name before you can see it and you cannot just judge your enemies power by looking at him because then the high levels would just faceroll noobs (in case they make pvp)

I agree once more, miracles can happen^^

I dont like HP bars. What I do like is being able to estimate your opponents health. Either by the type of armor they are wearing /what level and class they are, you could tell about how much HP your enemy has left (this could also apply to NPC enemies as well, but with different factors allowing you to estimate). Damage dealt should appear on the screen so you can keep estimating your opponent’s health. This seems a little confusing at first, but once you start learning which factors tell you how much health someone has, fights get entertaining, and full of strategy.

1 Like

I was thinking having a documenting or codex system in which, from a certain distance, you can record and observe wildlife to know their strengths/weaknesses ahead of time.

1 Like

pokedex…

I think there are a lot of different applications for it, and maybe you can even make it different crafting like

basic scouter
shows enemy name and approximate level (if levels are in the game)

advanced scouter
shows enemy name and type, exact level, approximate hp

pro scouter
shows enemy name, type, exact level, exact hp, types of attacks

tracker
identifies types of animals and records them to your OORT log (similar to where achievements are stored)

herbalist tracker
helps players identify flora and fauna and highlights them slightly for gathering

you could only wear one at a time, and again these are all examples, it just seems to me that pretty much everyone thinks the scouter could be pretty cool for a toggle-able and customizable HUD

1 Like

A pokedex-like system is quite a good idea. A record of the creatures you find and get is quite a needed idea. I don’t think the HP bar system would fit. I mean, some FPS have it but I find it to be a commodity. I think that if we add a pokedex system the actual thing will tell us an average HP of an enemy.

1 Like

My personal preference is to minimise the number of game GUIs that are required in the game world (rather than outside the game world). So the more this information can be communicated without health bars the better.

5 Likes

What about this:

A kind of colored aura around creatures that displays their health and condition statuses.

• Green aura = Healthy/Approximately full health
  • Orange aura = Half/ Mid-health
  • Red = Low health

Additionally then, status conditions can be seen by a small animation upon that entity.

• Hoarfrost coat if they are frozen
  • Little flames here and there is they are burning
  • Little green bubbles if they are poisoned.
  • Etc.

For the player status effects can be displayed on the borders of the game screen:

• Hoarfrost border if they are frozen
  • Flames on the border is they are burning
  • Little green bubbles if they are poisoned.
  • Etc.

If you wanted to entirely remove the health bars from even the characters, you could also put the above colored borders on the game screen whilst in combat.

1 Like

maybe for your personal health bar, it could use something similar to how the edges of the screen turn red in FPS games.

I think a coloured cursor like in the Serious Sam series would be the most fitting solution for B<:

Full health

~50%

Almost dead

This would give an indicator for the enemies health that is suited for fast paced fun combat without adding any additional GUIs into the game like standard MMO health bars usually do.
(And it´s probably also relatively easy to add)

Sorry for posting in this old thread but i figured that it would be better than making a separate suggestion thread for it.

6 Likes